Can't remember the right word

• Thread starter Harriet12
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses an assignment involving changing constants in non-linear functions. The individual struggles to find the word to describe the peaks and troughs in their graph, which resembles an AC current. They eventually remember that the word is "amplitude" and clarify the difference between amplitude and local maxima and minima.
Harriet12
I'm doing an assignment that involves changing constants in various non-linear functions (EG: f(x) = asin x.) Its come to commenting on my findings and I find myself struggling to find the word that describes the peaks and troughs in my graph (The graph looks like a graph of an AC current). I know everyone is going to think I am a complete idiot for asking this but I can't remember and thought that there is no harm in asking...

Physics news on Phys.org
That's the amplitude. Was this the word? :confused:

Daniel.

Cheers mate, you are a champ!

Maybe amplitude is the word you're looking for, but they are the difference in height between the peaks and troughs divided by two. Actual peaks and troughs, however, are local maxima and minima.

1. What causes difficulty in remembering the right word?

There are several potential causes for difficulty in remembering the right word, including brain injuries or diseases, stress, fatigue, medication side effects, and lack of exposure to the word.

2. Is difficulty in remembering the right word a normal part of aging?

Yes, it is normal for people to experience some difficulty in remembering the right word as they age. This is because the brain's ability to retrieve information declines with age.

3. How can I improve my ability to remember words?

Some strategies for improving word recall include practicing with word puzzles and games, using mnemonic devices, and expanding your vocabulary through reading and learning new words.

4. Are there any underlying health conditions that can contribute to difficulty in remembering the right word?

Yes, certain health conditions such as stroke, dementia, and Alzheimer's disease can affect a person's ability to remember words. It is important to consult a doctor if you are experiencing persistent difficulty in remembering words.

5. Can stress or anxiety cause difficulty in remembering the right word?

Yes, stress and anxiety can impair memory and make it more difficult to retrieve words. Practicing relaxation techniques and managing stress levels can help improve word recall.