Questions to Ask Before Pursuing a PhD

• Programs
  • Thread starter eXorikos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd
In summary, the conversation is about a nuclear physicist graduating with a masters degree who has a meeting scheduled with one of their professors to discuss PhD topics and questions they should ask. Some of the suggested questions include asking about the program accreditation, current graduate students' work, meeting frequency and format, expectations for progression through the PhD, clinical exposure, and previous students' whereabouts. One general question suggested is about the average length of time for students to finish their PhDs, and another is about funding availability. The conversation also touches on the expectations for teaching and research funding during the PhD. The conversation also mentions the educational system in Belgium and the lack of an undergrad/grad structure, with students immediately starting a research job after their masters. The conversation concludes
eXorikos
I didn't really know where to place this thread, so move it if it's in the wrong place.

I'm a nuclear physicist graduating with my masters this academic year. I have a meeting scheduled with one of my professors of a medical physics course I have just finished. We will be discussing what topics he has available for a PhD. It might be useful to have some questions prepared which I really need to ask before considering the offer. Since I have no experience with a PhD I would like your input on this.

All guidance is welcome!

Physics news on Phys.org
These are in no partcular order and some are specific to medical physics:
- is this a CAMPEP-accredited program?
- what are your current graduate students working on?
- how often do you like to meet with the students you mentor?
- do you prefer formal or informal meetings?
- can you give me an idea of what you would expect of of me as I progress through the PhD?
- how much clinical exposure will I get?
- where are your previous students now?
- what is your schedule like?/ what are your clinical responsibilities?
- does this project involve any technology that is likely to become obsolete over the next five years?

Two general questions you should definitely ask:

-On average, how long long have your previous students taken to finish their PhDs?

-Do you foresee funding available for a new full time PhD student in the coming year or two?

Maybe I should elaborate. He is not attached to any clinical practice at the hospital as such. He does research in brain imaging and tracer studies for PET/SPECT. For my medical physics degree and accreditation for the hospital I would have to follow another 9 credits of courses, write a small thesis and do an internship of 9 months. This would obviously not fit with my plans for a PhD.

Why ask him if he forsees funding for a PhD student in the next year or two?

Thanks for the suggestions.

eXorikos said:
Why ask him if he forsees funding for a PhD student in the next year or two?

This is a question you should ask if you are interested in doing your PhD work with this professor. If this faculty member is your primary reason for being interested in a program, but he has no money for a new student, then you should think twice about attending that school, unless you have other faculty whose research you are also interested in.

I assumed you were also interested in this professor as a potential PhD adviser.

G01 said:
This is a question you should ask if you are interested in doing your PhD work with this professor. If this faculty member is your primary reason for being interested in a program, but he has no money for a new student, then you should think twice about attending that school, unless you have other faculty whose research you are also interested in.

I assumed you were also interested in this professor as a potential PhD adviser.

This meeting is to discuss what I expect from a PhD and what he has to offer. So I expect him to have the funding to pay me starting my PhD next year. Otherwise the meeting would be rather pointless.

eXorikos said:
This meeting is to discuss what I expect from a PhD and what he has to offer. So I expect him to have the funding to pay me starting my PhD next year. Otherwise the meeting would be rather pointless.

Ideally, yes, faculty would not try to recruit students if they could not fund them, but I have still seen it happen. Faculty will always have work for grad students. Money is a different story however.

Some faculty, especially in the US, expect new students to teach during their first year or so in the lab, especially if the student has yet to pass the qualifying exams. You should just make sure that at the end of the meeting you know how you will be funded and if you will be expected to teach while concurrently working in the lab.

If your professor expects you to teach for a year or so, that's normal, and good experience! However, you want to make sure that later on you will have research funding. I like teaching, and everyone should get some experience with it during grad school, but eventually one has to focus on research full time if the PhD is ever going to be completed. It's a research degree after all, not a teaching degree.

You don't have to ask questions about this explicitly, but you should make sure that by the end of the meeting you know what you will expected to in the lab and out of it. That's the point.

In Belgium there is no undergrad/grad structure. It's just bachelor and master. After your masters you can start a PhD or go into the private sector. You immediately start your research job. There is no entrance exam. Based on your grades and credentials you are either accepted to do a PhD or not.

You are required to take some teaching responsabilities, but when you do this depends on the courses your advisor gives.

eXorikos said:
In Belgium there is no undergrad/grad structure. It's just bachelor and master. After your masters you can start a PhD or go into the private sector. You immediately start your research job. There is no entrance exam. Based on your grades and credentials you are either accepted to do a PhD or not.

You are required to take some teaching responsabilities, but when you do this depends on the courses your advisor gives.

I see. Well it seems like you know what will be expected of you and where your funding is coming from, and my second question is not relevant to the educational system.

However, I imagine asking about the average length of time it takes students to graduate is still a reasonable question.

That is indeed a question that needs asking. Thanks!

In Germany and France, after a 2-year master's, the PhD apparently lasts 3-4 years. I'd be curious about Belgium. Is this in the Flemish side of the country?

Yes and it's the same over here.

1. What is the purpose of asking questions before pursuing a PhD?

Asking questions before pursuing a PhD is important because it allows you to thoroughly consider your decision and understand the potential challenges and benefits of pursuing a PhD program. It also helps you to clarify your goals and make an informed decision.

2. What are some important questions to ask before pursuing a PhD?

Some important questions to ask before pursuing a PhD include:

• What are my motivations for pursuing a PhD?
  • What are the potential career opportunities after completing a PhD?
  • What is the time commitment and workload of a PhD program?
  • What is the financial cost of pursuing a PhD?
  • What is the reputation and ranking of the university and program I am considering?

3. How can asking questions help me choose the right PhD program?

Asking questions can help you choose the right PhD program by giving you a better understanding of the program's curriculum, faculty, research opportunities, and overall fit with your interests and goals. It also allows you to compare different programs and make an informed decision.

4. What are some red flags to look out for when asking questions about a PhD program?

Some red flags to look out for when asking questions about a PhD program include:

• Lack of transparency or evasive answers from program representatives
  • High attrition rates among students
  • Limited funding opportunities
  • Poor reputation or ranking of the program or university
  • Lack of resources or support for students

5. Is it important to ask questions during the PhD application process?

Yes, it is important to ask questions during the PhD application process. This shows your interest and commitment to the program and allows you to gain more information about the program and university. It also gives you the opportunity to make a good impression on faculty and staff and potentially strengthen your application.