Learning Mathematics by Writing

In summary: I can. If I'm still not sure after working through the material, I go back to the whiteboard and try to do the problems. After doing the problems, I'll go back and reread the section, this time trying to answer all the questions in my head as I go. Then, I'll highlight any key terms, equations, examples, etc. that I want to remember. After that, I'll make a list of any additional resources that I may need for the material, such as articles, videos, etc. Finally, I'll put a checkmark next to any resources that I plan on using, and then put the material into its respective folder.What I do is skim the section first to
jmjlt88
I am curious about the note taking strategies implemented by others on this board. I am referring to notes taken while reading (as opposed to notes taken during a lecture). As I progress further in my studies, I am noticing that I learn the material best when my notes become somewhat of a textbook. For instance, I will first read the section in a cursory way, taking note of what seems at first glance to be the “big idea.” Then, I will work through the section carefully with pencil and paper; I will try to work out all the details and fill in all the gaps. Finally, I will start from beginning and handwrite a “textbook section” on the material to a hypothetical struggling student. This is a very time consuming process, and I doubt this approach would work well with a full course load; however, I hasten to add that the exercises at the end of the section have never seem so easy! I would love to read input from others concerning their note taking habits and strategies.

Physics news on Phys.org
What you are describing is essentially the way I always study. It works very well for me. If I don't write extensive notes, then I understand it much less.

That is quite a time consuming way. What I do is skim the section first to get a good highlight of the section. Then I will reread the section this time but much more in depth. What really helps is stopping at every definition and theorem and to try proving it on your own (try to fiddle around for about 10-20 minutes with it). If you don't get anywhere then you can read part of the proof and try to finish the proof on your own. Then go to the problems and try to do most of them if not all of them (struggling on the ones you can't do is a good thing and if you don't get it don't beat your head against the wall. Just set the problem(s) aside and ponder about it in your free time. Eventually you will figure it out. ). Then a few days later go back to the same section and reprove the theorems and definitions. If you can then you have mastered the material.

I used to do my own 'textbook' for major subjects in high school, math and science. This way not only helped me to understand the material well, but I also didn't have to study much for the exams. It was so concise yet informative, and it included all possible related matters so I won't have to get back to the book. They also were so precious to me that I couldn't throw away--eventually I did. However, it wasn't my method for college, as you said, it's time consuming. But i's a good way to establish a strong background for any discipline, especially for those who rely on self study.

Gad said:
I used to do my own 'textbook' for major subjects in high school, math and science. This way not only helped me to understand the material well, but I also didn't have to study much for the exams. It was so concise yet informative, and it included all possible related matters so I won't have to get back to the book. They also were so precious to me that I couldn't throw away--eventually I did. However, it wasn't my method for college, as you said, it's time consuming. But i's a good way to establish a strong background for any discipline, especially for those who rely on self study.

This is also the Quarkcharmer method. I have dozens of notebooks which read like my own written textbook, omitting only information that I find obvious. It works great for me. I keep a scrap paper to work out problems or try something out as I am working through a text, then when I am satisfied that I understand the section I transcribe it into the notebook.

micromass said:
What you are describing is essentially the way I always study. It works very well for me. If I don't write extensive notes, then I understand it much less.

I absolutely agree that this works best. The specific structure of the notes varies depending on the type of class; however, the materials I use are the same:

- 0.7mm mechanical pencil, wide-ruled perforated 3-hole punched paper (best combination)
- dry-erase marker and whiteboard (or a window if I feel inspired :smile:)
*if I'm on the go, I keep a fine-tip marker and a sheet protector with a blank piece of paper as a makeshift dry-erase
- a well-tabulated 3-ring binder with pop-out folders to organize all my notes and homework

I first walk through each and every step of the textbook/video by working it out on my whiteboard, rather than scratch paper, because it's much easier to erase my work. If it's a solution-based course, then I essentially reproduce the examples that are worked out in the textbook. If it's a proof-based course, I write out every theorem and accompanying example but opt out of writing out the whole proof or just the details of the proof.

I agree; extensive notes are key for me too.

I have thought about getting a LiveScribe sort of pen that records my audio as I write. I can then upload my notes and have a digital copy which includes my explanations at key points. The only bad part is that LS itself requires the use of Evernote which wouldn't work for me, but when this is sorted it may help decrease the amount of writing!

I've started doing this as well, but my notes are written in LaTeX instead of by hand.

That way I'll always have backups that are written nicely and neatly, not in my own sloppy handwriting.

jmjlt88 said:
I am curious about the note taking strategies implemented by others on this board. I am referring to notes taken while reading (as opposed to notes taken during a lecture). As I progress further in my studies, I am noticing that I learn the material best when my notes become somewhat of a textbook. For instance, I will first read the section in a cursory way, taking note of what seems at first glance to be the “big idea.” Then, I will work through the section carefully with pencil and paper; I will try to work out all the details and fill in all the gaps. Finally, I will start from beginning and handwrite a “textbook section” on the material to a hypothetical struggling student. This is a very time consuming process, and I doubt this approach would work well with a full course load; however, I hasten to add that the exercises at the end of the section have never seem so easy! I would love to read input from others concerning their note taking habits and strategies.

I've always found that having to write or explain something to someone else is one good way of making sure you understand it.

Practicing solving problems is the other main way of doing it.

The worst way is just to read it.

If you're time-poor then I'd saying working on problems is the most time-efficient way of learning material - I've passed exams using only that technique in the past.

I always write extensive notes. In some courses I write them by hand, in other I typeset them in Latex. It depends on what kind of notes they are, whether they are written linearly or not, etc. This is very helpful especially when there is no single textbook that fits the whole course.

I wish I had time to clean up my notes and typeset them, but sadly I don't.

1. What is the concept of learning mathematics by writing?

Learning mathematics by writing is an approach to teaching and learning mathematics that involves actively writing and explaining mathematical concepts and problems. This method allows students to engage with the material in a more hands-on manner and develop a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts.

2. How does writing help in learning mathematics?

Writing helps in learning mathematics by allowing students to organize their thoughts and articulate their understanding of mathematical concepts. It also helps in identifying any gaps in understanding and encourages critical thinking skills.

3. Is learning mathematics by writing effective for all students?

Yes, learning mathematics by writing can be effective for all students. It allows for a more personalized and interactive learning experience, which can benefit students with different learning styles and abilities.

4. How can teachers incorporate writing into their mathematics lessons?

Teachers can incorporate writing into their mathematics lessons by providing opportunities for students to explain their problem-solving process, write reflections on their understanding of concepts, and create their own mathematical problems. They can also use writing prompts and journaling activities to encourage students to think critically about mathematical concepts.

5. Can learning mathematics by writing be used in online learning?

Yes, learning mathematics by writing can be adapted for online learning. Virtual whiteboards, online discussion forums, and collaborative writing tools can be utilized to facilitate writing activities and promote engagement and understanding in online mathematics lessons.