Outdoor wired networking advice

• Thread starter TheRascalKing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Networking
In summary, there is a discussion about improving the wifi signal from the router in one corner of the house to the work room in the opposite corner. The options being considered are running a cable along the outside of the house, using a repeater, or using powerline networking adapters. The concern with running a cable is its durability in the elements and potential for lightning strikes. Some alternative solutions are also suggested, such as moving the router closer or using a directional antenna.
TheRascalKing
Hello all,
so I'm sick of connecting wirelessly from my router (in the bottom, rear, west corner of my house) to the room where I do all of my work (the top, front, east corner). I decided I'm going to run a cable along the outside of the house and into the work room.

The cable will not be buried, and I'm worried about it being subject to the elements. It will be about 150 feet, and as I understand it, there isn't any serious performance loss until about 200 feet or more, so that shouldn't be a problem.

So far, it seems to me like a cable like this one should do the job:
http://www.rakuten.com/prod/150ft-outdoor-waterproof-cat6-ethernet-cable-direct-burial/211959042.html

However, before I go and spend my money, I want to make sure this is the right tool for the job.
Other than installing it along the house, is there any additional steps that I would have to take to ensure durability? Would I have to worry about grounding and lightning strikes?

Thanks

EDIT: I should probably also mention where I live, in case climate makes a difference. I live in the Greater Philadelphia Area, so we get a little bit of everything weather-wise, but nothing too extreme.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
If the house's electrical wiring is in good shape, perhaps a pair of powerline networking adapters would do the trick.

WD Livewire Powerline AV Network Kit

Linksys Powerline AV 4-Port Network Adapter Kit (PLSK400)

I've been considering getting one of these two models, to allow me to stream video faster between my computer at one end of my house to the audio/video setup at the other end. I now have to use a wireless extender (a second Apple Airport Express unit) to cover the distance and punch through the intervening walls.

Last edited:
Maybe the OP could move the router one room or two closer toward the the top, front, east corner?

TheRascalKing said:
The cable will not be buried, and I'm worried about it being subject to the elements.
What about a lightning strike?

Burying your cable will expose you to all sorts of undesirable side effects that will be difficult to service without replacing the cable. Most wireless routers easily have a range of a hundred or more feet. At worst, you might need a repeater.

1. What is the best way to protect outdoor wired networking equipment from the elements?

The best way to protect outdoor wired networking equipment is to use weatherproof enclosures and cable connectors. These enclosures should be waterproof and have proper ventilation to prevent condensation buildup. Additionally, using outdoor-rated cables and grounding all equipment can also help protect against weather damage.

2. How far can I run Ethernet cables for outdoor networking?

The maximum recommended distance for Ethernet cables is 100 meters (328 feet) for reliable data transmission. However, factors such as environmental conditions and cable quality can affect this distance. It is best to consult with a professional or refer to the manufacturer's specifications for more accurate recommendations.

3. What is the best way to bury Ethernet cables for outdoor networking?

When burying Ethernet cables for outdoor networking, it is important to use direct burial or outdoor-rated cables. These cables are designed to withstand moisture, temperature changes, and physical stress from being buried. It is also recommended to bury the cables at least 6 inches deep and use warning tape to mark their location for future reference.

4. Can I use regular Ethernet cables for outdoor networking?

No, regular Ethernet cables are not suitable for outdoor networking. They are not designed to withstand moisture, temperature changes, and physical stress from being exposed to the elements. Using regular Ethernet cables for outdoor networking can result in damage to the equipment and unreliable data transmission.

5. How can I improve the speed and performance of my outdoor wired network?

To improve the speed and performance of your outdoor wired network, you can use high-quality, shielded Ethernet cables and minimize the distance between devices. Additionally, using a network switch can help distribute the network load and improve overall performance. It is also important to regularly maintain and update your equipment to ensure optimal performance.