Conference Proceedings in BibTex

In summary, the conversation discusses issues with adding conference proceedings to a BibTex database and the desired formatting for the entries. It is mentioned that the bibliography style may be the cause of the formatting issues and a resource is provided for creating a custom style. The conversation ends with gratitude for the helpful information.
luitzen
I'm unsure about the appropriate location for this thread, so please move this topic, if necessary.

I'm trying to add conference proceedings to my BibTex database, but I can't manage to get it working.

If I use @CONFERENCE or @INPROCEEDINGS, the title of the paper will not be italicized and capitalization is lost in the final document and the order of authors is changed into, what appears to me, a random order.

If I use @PROCEEDINGS, the name of the authors are hidden.

In all three cases I put the name and edition of the conference in Publisher.

What I want is the following:
- Name of authors
- Title in italics
- Name and edition of conference
- Year

Computer science news on Phys.org
luitzen said:
What I want is the following:
- Name of authors
- Title in italics
- Name and edition of conference
- Year

That is under the control of the bibliography style (.bst file).

Thanks, that's very useful :)

luitzen said:
Thanks, that's very useful :)
I don't know if you are being ironic, so I'll expand on my answer.

In a sense, it doesn't matter what entry type you choose if the bibliography style won't give you what you want.

You can check out http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/custom-bib/ if you want to make your own.

No, I was being sincere. I've already seen the styles come by and now I know what to do to solve my problem. Thanks.

1. What is a BibTex file?

A BibTex file is a plain text file format used for managing bibliographic references in LaTeX documents. It is commonly used in the fields of science and academia to organize and cite references in conference proceedings, journal articles, books, and other publications.

2. How do I create a BibTex file for my conference proceedings?

To create a BibTex file for your conference proceedings, you will need to use a reference management software such as Zotero, Mendeley, or EndNote. These programs allow you to import your references and save them in a BibTex file format for easy management and citation in your documents.

3. What information should be included in a BibTex entry for conference proceedings?

A BibTex entry for conference proceedings should include the title of the conference, the year it took place, the location, the name of the publisher, and the page numbers. Additionally, you may include the editors, the volume number, and the series title if applicable.

4. How do I cite conference proceedings in a BibTex file?

To cite conference proceedings in a BibTex file, you will need to use the "@inproceedings" entry type. This will allow you to include all the necessary information, such as the author, title, conference name, and other relevant details. You can then use the "\cite{key}" command in your LaTeX document to cite the reference.

5. Can I use BibTex for different citation styles?

Yes, BibTex can be used for different citation styles. However, it is primarily used with LaTeX, which uses the author-year citation style. To use BibTex with other citation styles, you may need to modify the format of your bibliography or use a different reference management software that supports your desired style.