What's the best way to destroy pathogens on plastic?

• Thread starter wannab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plastic
In summary, if you want to reuse a plastic bottle, be sure to wash it first to avoid bacteria build-up. There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as the best way to kill microorganisms on plastic depends on the type of plastic and the bottle's history.
wannab
I've got a plastic bottle that I want to reuse for years, but the label said that you shouldn't reuse it for hygiene reasons. I'm assuming some bacteria builds up or something and this is dangerous?

If so, what is the best way to kill these microorganisms without wearing down the plastic?

Biology news on Phys.org
wannab said:
I've got a plastic bottle that I want to reuse for years, but the label said that you shouldn't reuse it for hygiene reasons. I'm assuming some bacteria builds up or something and this is dangerous?
Or, possibly, the plastic contains volatile materials that come out over a long time, and these are poisonous? Maybe the contents diffuses into the plastic slightly so that some may remain after the product is used - posing a health risk?

If so, what is the best way to kill these microorganisms without wearing down the plastic?
Depends on the organism and the plastic. You will need to supply more information - is the type of plastic written on the bottle? What was the bottle originally for? Otherwise any answer you get will be a guess.

I don't know what you want to store in these bottles but over here it is recommended not to reuse water bottles because of leaching.

There have been some cautious notes about BPA-based plastics leaching - mostly over-hyped.
http://lifehacker.com/5909676/stop-...es-theyre-not-leeching-poison-into-your-water

The warning usually means that if you reuse a bottle, and you get sick as a result, then it is not the manufacturer's fault: you were warned. The label actually specifying "hygiene reasons" seems odd though.

Without knowing the details of what the bottle is made of, what it originally contained, how it has been stored, the best advise is to dispose of the bottle in an ecologically sensitive manner ;)

Simon Bridge said:
You will need to supply more information.

Yes, I think as Bridge says, the real 1000 pound gorilla in the room is why on Earth would you want to continue to use some old plastic bottle? Likely for some sentimental reason, but without more specifics you're not likely you get the real information you need.

BPA's the media darling of recent anti-plastic reuse. That's going to be an issue even though its dependent on temperature, but you can't consistently control for that. Personally, I'm guessing it's a bottle that Gene Simmons or someone drank out off at a Kiss concert you went to or something. My advice is not to seek it here but to go to a professional who can treat the bottle some way for long term use. I wouldn't try doing it yourself with some anti-plastic pathogen cleaning regimen.

Btw, I used to be a big bottled water fan but for reasons I'm too tired to type (and I put some time into doing the research), my final conclusion was the that the best and most economical way to drink the best water possible is a zero water pitcher.

Use a bleach solution.
Google: dental bacteria bleach
for concentration info
:)

1. How effective are chemical disinfectants in destroying pathogens on plastic?

Chemical disinfectants can be very effective in destroying pathogens on plastic. However, their effectiveness may vary depending on the type of pathogen and the concentration and contact time of the disinfectant. It is important to carefully follow the instructions provided by the disinfectant manufacturer.

2. Can heat be used to destroy pathogens on plastic?

Yes, heat can be an effective way to destroy pathogens on plastic. The most commonly used method is autoclaving, which uses high pressure and temperature to kill microorganisms. However, not all plastics can withstand high heat, so it is important to check the plastic's heat resistance before using this method.

3. Is UV light effective in destroying pathogens on plastic?

UV light can be effective in destroying pathogens on plastic, but it may not be as effective as chemical disinfectants or heat. UV light works by damaging the DNA of microorganisms, preventing them from reproducing. However, it may not be able to penetrate through thick or opaque plastic, so it is important to ensure proper exposure and coverage.

4. Are there any natural methods for destroying pathogens on plastic?

Yes, there are some natural methods that can be effective in destroying pathogens on plastic. One example is using steam from boiling water to create a steam bath that can kill microorganisms. Another method is using vinegar or lemon juice, which have natural antimicrobial properties. However, these methods may not be as effective as chemical disinfectants or heat.

5. How can I ensure that all pathogens on plastic are completely destroyed?

To ensure that all pathogens on plastic are completely destroyed, it is important to follow proper cleaning and disinfection protocols. This may involve using a combination of methods, such as cleaning the plastic with soap and water before disinfecting it, and using a disinfectant that is effective against the specific type of pathogen. It is also important to regularly monitor and maintain the cleanliness of the plastic to prevent the growth and spread of pathogens.