Calculating Radius of Curvature for Metal Bar

In summary, we have a metal bar with a length of 1.75m and a coefficient of thermal expansion of 1.34*10-5K-1. When the temperature rises by 40 degrees celcius, the bar takes on the shape of an arc of a circle. To find the radius of curvature, we can use the law of sines and the given hint to relate the angle of the arc to the radius. With this information, we can solve for the radius and find the length of the heated bar.
brad sue
Hi guys ,I need help to find the radius of curvature for this exercice:

A metal bar is 1.75m long with a coefficient of thermal expansion of 1.34*10-5K-1. It is rigidly held between two fixed beams. When the temperature rises, the metal bar takes on the shape of the arc of a circle.
What is the radius of curvature of the circle when the temperature rises by 40 degrees celcius?

hint:for small angle: sin(x)=x-x3/6.

thankx for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm confident you can find the length of the heated bar. Then, just draw an arc and relate these lengths to the angle of the arc and the radius of curvature. You'll need to use the law of sines, and then you can use the "hint" and solve for the radius.

I would approach this problem by using the formula for calculating the radius of curvature, which is R = L/2sinθ, where R is the radius, L is the length of the bar, and θ is the angle of curvature. In this case, the angle of curvature can be approximated using the small angle approximation, θ = x - x^3/6, where x is the change in temperature in radians.

Using the given information, we can calculate the change in temperature in radians by converting the temperature difference of 40 degrees Celsius to radians: x = (40 degrees * π/180 degrees) = 0.698 radians.

Substituting this value into the small angle approximation, we get θ = 0.698 - (0.698)^3/6 = 0.698 - 0.004 = 0.694 radians.

Next, we can plug in the values for L and θ into the formula for radius of curvature, R = L/2sinθ, to get R = (1.75m)/2sin(0.694) = 1.75m/2(0.678) = 1.75m/1.356 = 1.29m.

Therefore, the radius of curvature for the metal bar when the temperature rises by 40 degrees Celsius is approximately 1.29 meters. It is important to note that this calculation is an approximation and may not be completely accurate due to the use of the small angle approximation. Other factors such as the rigidity of the beams and the material properties of the bar may also affect the actual radius of curvature.

1. What is the formula for calculating the radius of curvature for a metal bar?

The formula for calculating the radius of curvature for a metal bar is R = E*I/M, where R is the radius of curvature, E is the modulus of elasticity, I is the moment of inertia, and M is the bending moment.

2. How do I determine the modulus of elasticity for a metal bar?

The modulus of elasticity can be found in material testing data or can be calculated using stress-strain curves for the specific metal bar. It is a measure of a material's stiffness or ability to resist deformation under stress.

3. What is the significance of calculating the radius of curvature for a metal bar?

The radius of curvature is an important parameter in determining the structural integrity and strength of a metal bar. It helps to ensure that the bar can withstand the expected load and bending without failure.

4. Can the radius of curvature be calculated for any metal bar?

Yes, the radius of curvature can be calculated for any metal bar as long as the necessary parameters, such as modulus of elasticity and moment of inertia, are known.

5. Are there any limitations to using the formula for calculating the radius of curvature for a metal bar?

The formula for calculating the radius of curvature assumes that the bar is homogenous and has a constant cross-sectional area. It may not be accurate for bars with irregular shapes or those made of composite materials.