Annealing before and after pellet formation

• Thread starter wafa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formation
In summary, the conversation discusses the best way to measure the particle size and other properties of two similar samples of nanoparticles. The options include annealing after pellet formation or annealing in powdered form before pellet formation. The experts suggest that the best method may vary depending on factors such as the material being synthesized and the pressure applied during pelletizing. Further research and consultation with XRD experts may be necessary to determine the most suitable method.
wafa
In the case of nanoparticles is there any diffrence on the results (particle size and the other properties that are dependent on particle size) of two similer samples, one of which is annealed after pellet formation and the second sample is annealed in the powdered shape and then pellet is formed.Which way is more suitable practically?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The optimized synthesis conditions are highly specific to the material being synthesized. Can you give us more details?
1. What is the material (reactants, if involved, and final product)?
2. What is the target particle-size range?
3. What is the primary synthesis route (solid phase)?
4. Is there an established procedure that you are aware of for this?

I am preparing Ni-Zn Ferrites by chemical coprecipitation method, the intial reactents being the chlorides of Ni, Zn and Fe. For XRD you need powdered samples and particle size is determined from XRD, so one needs to anneal the samples in powdered form for XRD. Now in order to measure diffrent properties e.g resistivity etc you need pellet. If I take a powdered sample, divide it in two parts, anneal one part and determin the particle size from its XRD, make the pellet of the second part and then anneal it to determen diffrent properties then if it is fair to assume that these properties corresponds to the particle size determen by the first part of the sample?
There is another way as well, to anneal the sample first and then make pellets for characterization, but it come out with its own problems e.g porosity etc. The particle size is within 7 to 20 nm.Can you give me an advice to counter that problem?
Thanks.

wafa said:
I am preparing Ni-Zn Ferrites by chemical coprecipitation method, the intial reactents being the chlorides of Ni, Zn and Fe. For XRD you need powdered samples and particle size is determined from XRD, so one needs to anneal the samples in powdered form for XRD.
Let me make sure I understand you correctly. First of all, annealing is not something that is required to do XRD on a powder sample. But the annealing temperature is probably what eventually determines the particle size. So you want to anneal the powder sample and then use it for XRD. Is that right?

Now in order to measure diffrent properties e.g resistivity etc you need pellet. If I take a powdered sample, divide it in two parts, anneal one part and determin the particle size from its XRD, make the pellet of the second part and then anneal it to determen diffrent properties then if it is fair to assume that these properties corresponds to the particle size determen by the first part of the sample?
In theory, no. In practice, the difference may be small enough to neglect. It will depend on, among other things, the pressure applied during pelletizing. At high pressures (~ several MPa), there's a good chance that the particle size will be different.

There is another way as well, to anneal the sample first and then make pellets for characterization, but it come out with its own problems e.g porosity etc. The particle size is within 7 to 20 nm.Can you give me an advice to counter that problem?
Thanks.
Here's a priliminary suggestion:

What is the thinnest pellet you can make? Try it and figure that out. Meanwhile, find out from your XRD people if they can use a thin pellet instead of powder. It should be possible in most cases - lots of people have done XRD on sintered pellets.

What is annealing and why is it important in pellet formation?

Annealing is a heat treatment process used to reduce the hardness and increase the ductility of a material. In pellet formation, annealing is important because it allows the material to undergo plastic deformation and form into a cohesive pellet.

When should annealing be performed in the pellet formation process?

Annealing should be performed after the material has been compressed into a pellet shape and before any further processing or use. This allows the material to reach its desired properties and improve its overall quality.

What are the benefits of performing annealing before and after pellet formation?

Performing annealing before and after pellet formation has several benefits. It can improve the strength and ductility of the material, reduce internal stresses, and improve its resistance to corrosion and other environmental factors.

What factors affect the effectiveness of annealing in pellet formation?

The effectiveness of annealing in pellet formation can be affected by several factors, including the temperature and duration of the annealing process, the composition and structure of the material, and any previous heat treatments that the material has undergone.

Are there any risks associated with annealing before and after pellet formation?

While annealing is generally a safe and beneficial process, there are some potential risks involved. These include the risk of overheating and damaging the material, as well as the risk of introducing impurities or altering the material's properties in an unintended way.