Electric field of an infinite carged wire in a conductive medium

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a book that addresses the treatment of a problem involving a constant charge being fed to a wire by an external source. The person asking for the reference has checked multiple classical textbooks but has not found an answer. The conversation also mentions that if the conductivity of the medium is zero, the answer is well-known, but with non-zero conductivity, it is more complicated. A suggestion is made to look into Sec. 6.9 of Franklin's "Classical Electromagnetism" for a similar problem, but not for the specific geometry mentioned.
fiz65
Hi,
I need to find a book where the problem of the subject is treated.
(I am assuming that charge is being fed to the wire by an external source,
so as to keep it constant)

Does anybody know a reference where this problem is treated?
I have looked for an answer in the classical textbooks (stratton,
panofsky-phillips, jackson, griffiths, etc,), and I've found nothing

Of course, if the conductivity of the medium is zero the answer is
well known, but if sigma is non zero, the answer seems to be not
that easy.

Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If the charge per unit length is known then Gauss's law still applies, so E is the same as with no conductivity. That type of problem is treated in Sec. 6.9 of Franklin, "Classical Eectromagnetism", but not for your specific geometry.

Hi Meir, many thanks for your answer, I think I've understood the point.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds a charged particle or object and exerts a force on other charged particles or objects within its vicinity.

2. What is an infinite charged wire?

An infinite charged wire is a hypothetical wire with an infinite length that carries a constant charge along its entire length. It is often used as a simplified model in electromagnetic theory.

3. What is a conductive medium?

A conductive medium is a material that allows electric charges to flow through it easily. This includes metals, electrolytes, and other materials with high electrical conductivity.

4. How does the charge distribution affect the electric field of an infinite charged wire?

The charge distribution along the infinite charged wire affects the electric field by creating a radial field that decreases with distance from the wire. The electric field is strongest near the wire and becomes weaker as the distance from the wire increases.

5. How is the electric field of an infinite charged wire in a conductive medium calculated?

The electric field of an infinite charged wire in a conductive medium can be calculated using the formula E = λ/2πεr, where λ is the charge density of the wire, ε is the permittivity of the medium, and r is the distance from the wire.