Physics-Motion and Gravity Help

• Thread starter lilaSA
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, the baseball must be hit with a velocity of 90m/s if the angle of impact is 40º. The flight time is 3.9 seconds, so you will need to use the kinematic equations to solve the problem.
lilaSA
Physics--Motion and Gravity... Help!

Homework Statement

I have this really great excercise book that gives you excercises with no explanation how to do it. The question is: For a baseball to travel 90m, with what velocity must it be hit if the angle of impact is 40º? The flight time is 3.9 sec. I have absolutely no idea how to start solving this!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

lilaSA said:
I have this really great excercise book that gives you excercises with no explanation how to do it. The question is: For a baseball to travel 90m, with what velocity must it be hit if the angle of impact is 40º? The flight time is 3.9 sec. I have absolutely no idea how to start solving this!
Welcome to PF lilaSA,

You must have some idea as to where to start, which concepts are involved?

What do you mean concepts? The majority of the excercises require you to solve problems in connection with the height or speed of objects, but normally they give the velocity at which it travels. I'm quite confused

What equations do you normally use to solve those problems? They can be used to solve this one, except this time you will be finding the initial velocity.

The equations they use to solve velocity is normally change in distance/change in time... I've tried that, but the answer is still incorrect. I have also tried solving it by using the gravity measurement thingy and working it into the equations, but that didn't work either. My physics teacher moved, now I'm stuck lol

There is another equation I just found, it is: velocity = gravity x time... Does that help?

OK thanks... I've gone to the link, but I still need to solve the problem using the degrees? I'm sorry, I'm quite clueless with these things

I think I get it now, thanks so much!

1. What is motion in physics?

Motion in physics is the change in position or location of an object over time. It is described by factors such as speed, velocity, and acceleration.

2. What is gravity?

Gravity is a natural force that pulls objects towards each other. It is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun and objects on Earth from floating away.

3. How does gravity affect motion?

Gravity affects motion by pulling objects towards each other and causing them to accelerate. This acceleration is dependent on the mass of the objects and the distance between them.

4. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is the rate at which an object moves, while velocity is the speed of an object in a specific direction. Velocity takes into account both the speed and direction of motion.

5. How is motion described in physics?

Motion in physics is described using mathematical equations and diagrams, such as graphs and vectors. These tools can help to visualize and understand the motion of objects in different scenarios.