Electromagnetic Induction and Magnetism Questions

In summary, Kevin is asking if a magnet can remain magnetized forever and if a magnetized iron sphere in space with orbiting satellites connected by a wire would create energy through electromagnetic induction. The response is that the satellites would indeed perform electromagnetic induction, but the drag from the magnetic field of the sphere would eventually slow them down and cause them to fall to the surface. This is demonstrated in an experiment using an aluminum tube and a magnet. The phenomenon is explained by Lenz law, which prevents the creation of a "free energy device".
krfkeith
Ok, I have two questions:
First of all, are there any instances in which a magnet (not an electromagnet) will remain magnetized forever? I know that some magnets do lost their magnetivity

Secondly, if the above is true then consider the following theoretical scenario:

Imagine a large Iron sphere in space that is magnetized, it is large enough to allow multiple small satellites to orbit it. Now, all of these little satellites are in the same orbit path and are connected to each other with a large wire. Since the the satellites would be orbiting around the sphere, wouldn't this create energy through electromagnetic induction? Moreover, wouldn't this system continue to produce energy unless it was destroyed? I'm not doubting the law of conservation of energy, just a bit confused

Thanks,
Kevin

P.S. I have a poor knowledge of physics so if what I say is just completely idiotic or I left something out forgive me.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi krfkieth,

They would perfrom electromagnetic induction in the same way a faraday or homopolar generator would.

however, it wouldn't defy the laws of conservation of energy because the magnetic field of the sphere would create drag on the satalites as they orbit so they would eventially slow down and plumit tot he surface of the sphere.

Perhaps you have seen this experiment? You need an alluminium pipe and a reasonably strong magnet.

first drop the magnet at shoulder height and note how long it takes for the magnet to hit the ground.

then drop the magnet through the alluminium tubes. You will notice it falls ALOT slower.

This is because fo the drag from the induction on the alluminium tube by Lenz law. The same drag can be found in any dynamo or electromagnetic generator. (and god help you if you break Lenz law because then you have a generator with no drag! You would have a so called "free energy device").

Thank you! I had not heard of the Lenz law!

1. What is electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is the process by which a changing magnetic field induces an electric current in a conductor. This phenomenon was first discovered by Michael Faraday in the 1830s.

2. What is the relationship between electricity and magnetism?

Electricity and magnetism are closely related and are actually two aspects of the same fundamental force, known as electromagnetism. A changing electric field produces a magnetic field and vice versa.

3. How does an electric generator work?

An electric generator uses electromagnetic induction to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy. A changing magnetic field is used to induce an electric current in a conductor, which can then be harnessed for various purposes.

4. What is the difference between a permanent magnet and an electromagnet?

A permanent magnet is a material that produces a magnetic field without any external influence, while an electromagnet is a coil of wire that produces a magnetic field when an electric current is passed through it. The strength of an electromagnet can be controlled by varying the current, while a permanent magnet has a fixed strength.

5. What is the significance of electromagnetism in everyday life?

Electromagnetism plays a crucial role in many everyday devices, such as electric motors, generators, transformers, and even in our daily use of electricity. It also has applications in industries such as telecommunications, transportation, and medicine.