Conversion Between Coordinate Systems

In summary: Since the relationship between u and x is asked for, I think we are only working in the x direction. Therefore, the equation is only u = x*cos(angle). But I don't know what the angle is. That is what I am trying to find out by rotating the axes.In summary, the problem involves finding the relationship between the u-coordinate and the x-coordinate in a rotated coordinate system. After applying the rotation matrix and translating the origin, the correct equation is u = -1.74x + 10.44. However, it is important to note that the y-coordinate is not considered in this relationship.
hp-p00nst3r
Hello, I've been stuck on this problem for awhile and I've tried googling up some solutions but I still cannot find an answer to this question.

Homework Statement

An x-y coordinate system is shown below. A second system, u-v, is also shown. What is the relationship between the u-coordinate and the x-coordinate?
https://www.vista.ubc.ca/webct/RelativeResourceManager/Template/RspQ-Mech%202%20Review%20Quiz/220-practice-8q.gif
A. u = -0.57x + 3.44
B. u = 0.57x - 3.44
C. u = -1.74x + 10.44
D. u = 1.74x - 10.44
E. None of the above

Homework Equations

I am not quite sure which equations are relevant but I think it has to do with linear transformations because of the rotating axes.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried applying the rotation matrix with a theta of 125 deg which gives me
[cos(125deg) -sin(125deg)
sin(125deg) cos(125deg)]
and I find that the x coordinate of the resulting transformation is T(x) = x*cos(125) - y*sin(125). Since in the question, it asks for the x coordinate only, I would assume that y = 0. After, I subbed (x-6) into x to translate the coordinate to match the picture. So my final answer would be: -x*cos(125) + 3.44. It's one of the choices, but it's not the right answer.

Thank you. Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
from reading the question it looks like there should be a diagram included...

Ah, my mistake. I did post an image but I guess I was the only one who could see the link since I was logged into the school's online course website. I thought everyone else could access the picture. I've uploaded the picture on imageshack now and edited the first post.
Thanks for pointing that out.

EDIT: for some reason I can't edit my first post. So here's the image.
http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/69/220practice8qjp1.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
First, of course, you have to translate the origin. Let "p, q" represent a coordinate system with axes parallel to the x,y axes but with origin at x= 6, y= 3. Then p= x-6, q= y- 3.

Now, the u, v coordinate system is just the p,q system rotated by 35 degrees. In general, the p,q system rotated by [itex]\theta[/itex] degrees is given by
[itex]u= p cos(\theta)+ q sin(\theta)[/itex]
[itex]v= -p sin(\theta)+ q cos(\theta)[/itex]

Isn't it a 125 degree rotation since the x-axis is pointing downwards? It has to rotate a total of 125 degrees.

According to the answer key, the answer is C. u = -1.74x + 10.44.

I subbed p = x - 6 and q = y - 3 into the u = equation, but I am not getting -1.74x at all.
I got u = (x - 6) cos (35) + (y - 3)sin(35).

the biggest problem I'm having looking at the possible answers is that none of them contain y, they should be of the form

[tex]u=xCos\theta +ySin\theta + a[/tex]

sure, the question says with respect to x, but there's a constant at the end, you can't just ignore the y components...

I found that strange as well
If i try just regular trial and error on the answers, it still doesn't make much sense to me. If i sub x = 6 into choice C, it gives u = 0. That doesn't really make sense on the diagram.

I think I answered the question.
Here is my work. Can you guys please take a look and tell me if my work is right?
http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/4493/pracreviewq8tc0.jpg
Instead of working with xy and uv, I limited it only to the x and u components
From what the question is like, I think we are not working with the entire coordinate system at all. It is as if the y and v part of the coordinate systems do not exist at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a coordinate system?

A coordinate system is a mathematical framework used to determine the position of a point in space. It involves a set of rules and conventions for assigning numerical values to points in order to identify their location.

2. What are the different types of coordinate systems?

There are various types of coordinate systems, including Cartesian coordinates, polar coordinates, spherical coordinates, and cylindrical coordinates. Each type has its own set of rules and equations for determining the position of a point in space.

3. How do you convert between coordinate systems?

To convert between coordinate systems, you need to use equations and formulas specific to the two coordinate systems in question. These equations involve converting the given coordinates from one system to the other, using known relationships between the two systems.

4. What is the purpose of converting between coordinate systems?

Converting between coordinate systems allows us to describe the same point in space using different mathematical frameworks. This can be useful for different applications, such as navigation, mapping, and 3D modeling.

5. What are some common examples of converting between coordinate systems?

One common example is converting between Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z) and polar coordinates (r, θ, φ), which is used in navigation and astronomy. Another example is converting between geographic coordinates (latitude, longitude) and Cartesian coordinates, which is used in mapping and GPS systems.