NMEA data to Graphical Output?

In summary, the conversation is about a project involving a GPS logger and the desire to import GPS data into a mapping software like Google Earth. The issue is that Google Earth's GPS support is not free. Some suggestions for a solution include using a UMFPU-V3 chip to parse NMEA messages and creating a .GPX file. Other possible resources mentioned are websites such as freegeographytools.com, geartblog.com, and geartshacks.com. Additionally, there is a website that provides PHP code for creating KML files.
JamesH
Hey there fellow engineers,

I have a question to pose for a project I am carrying out.

I currently have a GPS logger I have created myself and was wondering if anyone knew how to take the GPS data (in minimum NMEA forum- so just time and longitude and latitude values) and import this (probably through some coding) into a mapping software like Google Earth.

The problem is that Google Earths GPS support is not free, so anyone know anyway around this? Or perhaps any other ideas??

Thanks in advance. And a very nice forum you have here too I've noticed :cool:

Engineering news on Phys.org
im doing a project on NMEA strings atm actually... a bit of a rubbish solution but i think a UMFPU-V3 chip can parse NMEA messages and has some kind of graphical output (no idea how good it is)

sounds like you need to find some way of making a .GPX file - http://freegeographytools.com/2007/creating-gps-routes-in-google-maps

could try making a route in google Earth and finding the file and seeing if u can open it in notepad and understand it...

Haven't tried it but what about this http://mboffin.com/earthbridge/
There is also a www.gearthblog.com[/url] and [url]www.gearthhacks.com[/URL] which discuss tools for google earth

Last edited by a moderator:
You can type in Lat Lon here and get a kml file out. From this you can determine what you need to add to a file parser

http://www.andrewdavidson.com/google-earth-kml-creator/

Here is website that gives you the PHP code
http://the.taoofmac.com.nyud.net:8090/space/blog/2005/07/04 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is NMEA data and how is it used?

NMEA (National Marine Electronics Association) data is a standard format for communication between marine electronic devices, such as GPS receivers and chartplotters. It contains information such as position, speed, and heading, and is used by these devices to accurately display the vessel's location and movement on a map.

2. How is NMEA data converted into graphical output?

NMEA data is typically converted into graphical output using specialized software or hardware. The NMEA data is first parsed and organized into specific data fields, and then translated into a graphical representation, such as a map or chart, using coordinates and other data points.

3. Can NMEA data be used for real-time tracking?

Yes, NMEA data can be used for real-time tracking as it provides accurate and up-to-date information about the vessel's location and movement. This is especially useful for navigation and safety purposes, as well as for monitoring and analyzing vessel performance.

4. Are there different versions of NMEA data?

Yes, there are different versions of NMEA data, with the most commonly used being NMEA 0183 and NMEA 2000. NMEA 0183 is an older version that uses serial communication, while NMEA 2000 is a newer version that uses a faster and more robust network-based communication protocol.

5. How can I troubleshoot issues with NMEA data and graphical output?

If you are experiencing issues with NMEA data and graphical output, the first step is to check all connections and ensure that the devices are properly communicating with each other. You can also refer to the user manual or contact the manufacturer for troubleshooting tips. Additionally, using diagnostic software can help identify and fix any issues with the NMEA data or graphical output.