Classical Yang-Mills Force Law ?

In summary, classical Yang-Mills theories generalized Maxwell's equations of electromagnetism to include the Lorentz force law. However, this generalized equation may be derived from the Lagrangian instead of the simpler equation described in the previous paragraph.
confinement
Even though classical (as opposed to quantized) non-abelian gauge theories do not have any physical applications at this time, it is mathematically valid to say that these classical Yang-Mills fields generalize Maxwell's equations of E&M in some sense i.e. the Yang-Mills equations reduce to the covariant formulation of electromagnetism for the case of the most basic compact lie group i.e. that one having only one parameter, the abelian gauge group U(1) .

But in classical electromagnetism Maxwell's equations are only half of the story, we also need the Lorentz force law which describes the motion of charges. The covariant version of this law is given in terms of the mass m, the four velocity u, the charge q and the field tensor F by:

[tex]m \frac{d u_{\alpha}}{d \tau} =q F_{\alpha \beta}u^{\beta} [/tex]

Until recently I thought that the corresponding equation would maintain the same form when generalized to the non-abelian case, but with the more complicated Yang-Mills field tensor F taking the place of the Faraday tensor. Recently I read a comment in these informal lecture notes:

http://philsci-archive.pitt.edu/archive/00003476/

to paraphrase, although the simple generalization I described in the above paragraph is the first thing we all think of, this is not correct, and that in principle one could work out the Yang-Mills force law from the Lagrangian.

My question is, does anyone know where this has been worked out in detail ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not simply try it for yourself? I'm sure its been done before in some textbook somewhere (though probably an unlovely calculation) but you probably will get more from the exercise by actually working through it rather than just seeing the result.

If I had to guess, I suspect the answer is that you will derive some messy linear combination of field strength powers.

On my competency exam, I had to basically do something like that in order to derive the classical YM Maxwell equations for SU(3). Its a PITA, but the calculation was of more value than the result (which is messy and physically irrelevant).

It won't do me any good to brute force my way through some index gymnastics only to obtain a messy result that I cannot interpret. The Yang-Mills equations are properly understood in terms of geometry, and if I just power-push through a bunch of component based terms I won't be able to recognize the geometrical meanings of the final answer --- that's why I am looking for an explicit treatment of this topic.

On a related note, I was wondering if anyone knows of a version of the Euler-Lagrange equations that is suitable for directly manipulating differential forms (without using components)?

1. What is the Classical Yang-Mills Force Law?

The Classical Yang-Mills Force Law is a mathematical equation that describes the interaction between elementary particles in a quantum field theory. It was developed by physicists Chen-Ning Yang and Robert Mills in the 1950s.

2. How does the Classical Yang-Mills Force Law differ from other force laws?

The Classical Yang-Mills Force Law differs from other force laws, such as the Coulomb force or the gravitational force, in that it describes the interactions between particles that have spin, such as protons and neutrons. It is also a gauge theory, meaning that the equations are invariant under certain transformations.

3. What is the significance of the Classical Yang-Mills Force Law in physics?

The Classical Yang-Mills Force Law is a fundamental principle in the Standard Model of particle physics. It provides a framework for understanding the interactions between elementary particles and has been extensively tested and verified through experiments.

4. Can the Classical Yang-Mills Force Law be extended to include other forces?

Yes, the Classical Yang-Mills Force Law can be extended to include other forces, such as the electromagnetic force and the weak nuclear force. This was achieved through the development of the electroweak theory, which unifies these forces under the same mathematical framework.

5. Are there any current research developments related to the Classical Yang-Mills Force Law?

Yes, there is ongoing research to extend the Classical Yang-Mills Force Law to include the strong nuclear force, which is responsible for the interactions between quarks. This is an important area of study in particle physics and could lead to a more complete understanding of the fundamental forces in the universe.