Cable Naming Convention in a Machine

In summary, Stewart recommends that cables be named according to the following structure: Host-Target-Cable Type. He also suggests a standard naming convention for cables.
rashidahwazia
Hi All,

I'm trying to come up with a proper method of naming cables in our machine.( we develop vending machines.)

Currently I am using the following structure for cable names:

Host-Target-cable Type

for example: IPC-NAC-D ; which is Industrial PC - Note Acceptor - Data Cable

But I believe there should be a more standard method of naming cables in the machine which can provide more information. I need these names to be printed and put on the cable at both ends.

Do any of you know a standard way for naming? Any suggestions or experience?

Thanks in Advance...

Engineering news on Phys.org
Personally I don't think there needs to be anything special in the name. Just something simple that let's you find both ends.

I've gone back to installations I made years before and have never had a problem finding the correct cable.

if you're thinking of the repair technician, then it certainly wouldn't hurt to be more explicit and less cryptic about where the cable goes.

also, it's good to have connectors keyed uniquely so that there's only one way to put things together.

rashidahwazia said:
Hi All,

I'm trying to come up with a proper method of naming cables in our machine.( we develop vending machines.)

Currently I am using the following structure for cable names:

Host-Target-cable Type

for example: IPC-NAC-D ; which is Industrial PC - Note Acceptor - Data Cable

But I believe there should be a more standard method of naming cables in the machine which can provide more information. I need these names to be printed and put on the cable at both ends.

Do any of you know a standard way for naming? Any suggestions or experience?

Thanks in Advance...

I've used and seen various different ways of doing it. Just depends on your preference. Just make sure the drawings are correct!

CS

Thanks stewartcs,

Can you please describe few of the types that you have seen. I came up with one myself but i think there should be standards for this kind of things.

Anyway if you can describe some of the ones that youve seen, it'd be great

thanks

I've used a slight variation on this: host - function - target. Be careful with applying labels and you don't have to worry about having ends swapped when you have no keys.

Once you decide on what naming convention you are going to use, you need to do the actualy labeling. The type of labeling system you use will depend on what type of cables you have. e.g. pulling wire in conduit, wire way runs, etc.

I've used http://www.zip-ty.com//productlist.aspx?cid=4&c=ID%20Cable%20Ties" .

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a cable naming convention in a machine?

A cable naming convention is a system for organizing and labeling cables in a machine. It typically involves assigning a unique name or code to each cable, which makes it easier to identify and troubleshoot any connection issues.

2. Why is it important to have a cable naming convention in a machine?

Having a cable naming convention helps to ensure that all cables are correctly installed and connected in a machine. It also makes it easier to identify and replace faulty cables, reducing downtime and maintenance costs.

3. How do you determine a cable naming convention for a machine?

The best way to determine a cable naming convention is to start by identifying all the different types of cables in the machine. Then, assign a unique name or code to each cable based on its function, location, or both. It's important to keep the naming convention consistent and well-documented for easy reference.

4. Are there any standard cable naming conventions for machines?

Yes, there are some commonly used cable naming conventions, such as the TIA/EIA-568 standard for Ethernet cables. However, it's important to choose a naming convention that makes sense for the specific machine and its components.

5. How can a cable naming convention help with maintenance and repairs?

A cable naming convention makes it easier to locate and troubleshoot any connection issues, reducing the time and effort needed for maintenance and repairs. It also helps to ensure that cables are correctly installed and connected, reducing the risk of errors or malfunctions.