Looking for a good online file sharing site for group project.

In summary, the group is looking for a way to collaborate on a engineering design project online. They are considering using Google Docs or Huddle, but have concerns about formatting and ease of use. One suggestion is to use email and create a project sub-folder, while another is to set up an FTP file server using a program like FileZilla. Unfortunately, the ideal solution, Google Wave, is not yet available.
HappMatt
I have a engineering design project this year that I am going to be doing with a group of 4 other fellow students. I know google has something online where you can load documents and modify them online but it seemed to mess up the formatting quite a bit. I would like something where we can load the files online and each group member can download it and modify it and leave some kind of note as to what was done to it. Does anyone have any excperience using something like this and if so what's the pros and cons.
thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
Too bad Google Wave is not out yet. It's exactly what you need.

Try http://www.huddle.net/

Google docs

It's not a high-tech solution, but have you considered emailing the docs? Just put everyone in the group in the "To:" box, and make sure that as people make suggestions, additions, corrections, etc, they hit "Reply all" so that everyone gets updated with the new material. My collaborators and I use this method and it gives us all a time-stamped history of our projects.

If you want to get fancy, you can each create an email "alias" for mail to and from your group only, and create a project sub-folder and a routing rule so that all of the work gets sent there instead of your general account. In the case of my group, we are scattered about and have widely varying schedules, so the updates don't always come at the same time. I stay up very late, especially during the winter. Another collaborator is in the same time-zone as me, but because he teaches, he has to keep a more regular schedule. A third member is in Finland and does a lot of his work in the evenings (my day-times).

1. What are some popular online file sharing sites for group projects?

Some popular options for online file sharing sites for group projects include Google Drive, Dropbox, and Microsoft OneDrive.

2. Is there a limit to the file size that can be shared on these sites?

Yes, each site may have a different limit for file size. For example, Dropbox has a limit of 50GB per file, while Google Drive has a limit of 5TB per file.

3. Can multiple people collaborate on the same file simultaneously?

Yes, most online file sharing sites allow for real-time collaboration, where multiple users can work on the same file at the same time.

4. Are these sites secure for sharing sensitive information?

Most of these sites use encryption and other security measures to protect your files, but it is always recommended to check the privacy policies and security features of each site before sharing sensitive information.

5. Do I need to download any software to use these sites?

No, most online file sharing sites have web-based platforms, so you can access and share your files directly from your web browser without needing to download any additional software.