Temporary full-time job at a local Wendys

• Thread starter Sorry!
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Job Local
In summary: If you're good at your job, they can't push you around. If you're not good at your job, they can push you around. In summary, the guy at the Wendys restaurant is bad at his job and is trying to get rid of the employee.
Sorry!
Well I've got a temporary full-time job at a local Wendys. Needed the money really badly as I quit my last job and was jobless for a while (my stupidity lol). Anyways back to the job. I've worked at a McDonalds before for 2 years so I was able to get this job relatively quickly... I never had to go through an orientation or anything... they never even gave me a proper training just put me to work and I had to learn everything on my own. (It's nothing like the McDonald's I worked at...)

Anyways the managment was constantly on my case about me being slow and lazy, I didn't think this was fair because

a) I didn't know what the hell I was doing most of the time OR what extra things I COULD do..
and
b) I work an opening shift... which requires me to work for 3 hours before the store opens cleaning EVERYTHING stocking EVERYTHING putting away orders... this is pretty hard labour like cleaning the fryers etc is not an easy task. Especially when you have to do 5 fryers in about 30 minutes.

I also had caught the flu... a really severe case of the flu actually I was sick for a week and a half. For the first little bit I went to work but then my doctor told me not to go. So I missed a couple days and went back. I went back to my doctor and the doctor told me I was still recovering from the flu and he said I should return to work for myself and for food safety reasons. (I was still puking not that you guys would like to know that :P) Anyways FINALLY I returned to work after missing about 5 days. The comments STILL came even now it included that I missed so much work... which I completely understood I've worked there for about a month and I missed 5 days of work already so that's pretty significant.

Today I went in for my shift and was putting away the order. (every other day they get a shipment of all the supplies they'll need like the dry goods, frozen goods etc.) As I was putting away stuff in the fridge the manager came in and was yelling about how slow I was and he PUSHED me causing me to nearly fall over (with a like 50 lb box of meat in my hands) he ripped the box of meat out of my hands and he put it away... improperly I might add. Anyways I said to him "Yo man don't ****ing touch me" and he replied to me with more comments about how slow and lazy I am and how bad I am at doing my job etc. So I said '**** you peace" and I left the store. He called me at my house and said that if I didn't return not to go back in on Monday because they won't be needing me anymore.

I didn't go in... What would you guys do in this situation though. I have another job pretty much lined up for me right now but it really bothers me that he pushed me and it also bothered me the way that employees were treated at this restaurant... I've never been in this situation before and am lost as to what to do. My dad says I should phone the Ministry of Labour (we live in Ontario if it matters). I really don't want to be bothered with that though...

What do you guys suggest... Sorry it was pretty long I also just wanted to get the entireeeee story out I feel better now hahahaha :D

Physics news on Phys.org

The only reason anyone at work (or anywhere, actually) should push you is if you were in the path of a speeding train.

The guy who pushed you is lacking in management skills (obviously), which is a liability to the company. You should contact his boss, if you feel charitable towards the company. Otherwise you should contact the appropriate authorities.

Managers don't have the right to physically push employees around. The fact that he did it in a walk-in freezer where (I'm assuming) nobody could see, tells me that he knows it and didn't want any witnesses. If you had witnesses, you 'might' be able to sue or report him but, I wouldn't waste my time. It sounds like it would end up being your word against his. I know it sucks when someone treats you like that but, the sooner you put that place behind you, the better you'll feel.

One thing that has helped me in these situations is realizing that his behavior is his problem, not yours. Understand that if he treated you like that, he treats others like the same way.

lisab said:
The only reason anyone at work (or anywhere, actually) should push you is if you were in the path of a speeding train.

The guy who pushed you is lacking in management skills (obviously), which is a liability to the company. You should contact his boss, if you feel charitable towards the company. Otherwise you should contact the appropriate authorities.
You should not only report him to Wendy's corporate for pushing you, I believe that they are required to put you through training, your experience at McDonald's was an advantage in you being hired, perhaps, but it does not excuse you from being trained. You never know, he might have been previously reported, and if not, if he does it again, the next employee will have added credibility. Don't underestimate the power such a report has with a company like Wendy's whose public image is so important.

Last edited:

Evo said:
You should not only report him to Wendy's corporate for pushing you, I believe that they are required to put you through training, you're experience at McDonald's was an advantage in you being hired, perhaps, but it does not excuse you from being trained. You never know,m he might have been opreviously reported, and if not, if he does it again, the next employee will have added credibility. Don't underestimate the power such a report has with a company like Wendy's whose public image is so important.

Yeah I was thinking that I wasn't supposed to working without having been trained properly but it's their store and I needed the money anyways.

@Borg...
Yeah... that's what I think I am going to end up doing just moving on to the next job. I know that going the Ministry of Labour or contacting Wendys head office will probably end up with some sort of action being taken I feel like it won't be worth my time or effort.

It just really sucks in hindsight I wish I punched him in the face :D. The last month that I've been working there has been absolute hell for me. :(

Edit: just notice Evo's post had more to it than I originally read :D. I guess that's a part I never looked at before. If this manager has already been reported and if not it would definitely add credibility to the a case if he gets reported again.

this is clearly work abuse. and it's part of life unfortunately that happens everywhere, perhaps less physically. you can do something about it, but the cost of doing it can be greater than it's worth. I've been through a fair share of work place abuses, and it's just funny in a way how primitive people are i.e. some managers that are so beneath you like an insect.

perhaps you can send them an email, or report this incident to the police.

Don't work at food places. I find the work to suck. Work at places like Best Buy, Office Depot, Borders, Barnes & Nobles, and all the like.

Last edited:

Gear300 said:
Don't work at food places in that case. I find the work to suck. Work at places like Best Buy, Office Depot, Borders, Barnes & Nobles, and all the like.

None of these places are hiring I've handed out about 150 resumes :/. This was the closest place that called me back and I was guaranteed a job for. Hopefully this other job works out though. It's still with food but its more of a real restaurant in an Ice Arena. Have to go meet the manager tomorrow for a talk about something.

Sorry! said:
Yeah I was thinking that I wasn't supposed to working without having been trained properly but it's their store and I needed the money anyways.

@Borg...
Yeah... that's what I think I am going to end up doing just moving on to the next job. I know that going the Ministry of Labour or contacting Wendys head office will probably end up with some sort of action being taken I feel like it won't be worth my time or effort.

It just really sucks in hindsight I wish I punched him in the face :D. The last month that I've been working there has been absolute hell for me. :(

Edit: just notice Evo's post had more to it than I originally read :D. I guess that's a part I never looked at before. If this manager has already been reported and if not it would definitely add credibility to the a case if he gets reported again.

Like Waht says, it's a part of life and probably won't be the last rotten individual that you'll have to deal with.

Reporting him to the police would definitely add credibility to someone else in the future but, don't expect Wendy's to welcome you with open arms. Corporate policy is usually to immeadiately direct actions like this straight to their legal department.

Report it to corporate, as well the fact that you never received any training. Then call the Labour Ministry and report it to them too. Likely nothing will come of any attempt for you to take action against him yourself but as already pointed out having such a report on record will help in the future. Guys like this continue on in their jobs because no one thinks it is worth it to report them.

Also, don't mean to be on your case but, if you did not receive training you should have told them you wanted it. If you were unsure what to do you should have asked what there was you should be doing because you had never received proper training *hint*hint*. And if you thought about doing these things but had no motivation to do them then maybe, if you think about it, the manager was at least partly right that you had no motivation and maybe were working more slowly because you really hated the job.

Just things to keep in mind for future. :-)

I agree about reporting it to corporate. You don't have to bother pursuing it any further, but it might make them take a second look at this manager, especially if he has a high turnover rate of employees. That very well might be the reason you were hired there so quickly, because someone else quit under similar circumstances.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Also, don't mean to be on your case but, if you did not receive training you should have told them you wanted it. If you were unsure what to do you should have asked what there was you should be doing because you had never received proper training *hint*hint*. And if you thought about doing these things but had no motivation to do them then maybe, if you think about it, the manager was at least partly right that you had no motivation and maybe were working more slowly because you really hated the job.

Just things to keep in mind for future. :-)

Well I see what your saying but I did ask them for the training. They told me that it was ok because I received training from McDonalds... And the extra things no one else did anything too so I didn't know what I was supposed to do. I guess I should have gone and asked but I figured if I worked the same as everyone else it wouldn't matter anyways.

I think I'm going to see if they have a action letter type of thing I can write into head office. McDonalds had this program where you would write a letter to head office called a Personal Action Letter and it could be done anonymously.(not that that matters) but when they received the letter they would do an investigation and send recommendations to the store. Hopefully wendys has a similar system in place I wouldn't know though since I never did orientation :D. This way it is on file and recorded even if nothing happens out of the situation.

Thanks for all the advice guys :)

You should just push him back and kick him in the shin while your at it, self defense. If he fires you, so what? You have a million dollar lawsuit (which settles out of court and puts a bunch of cash in your pocket).

Hind-sight, of course.

Writing a letter just gets him fired, you fired (eventually, intentionally for an unrelated reason and gets you nowhere).

Sorry! said:
Well I see what your saying but I did ask them for the training. They told me that it was ok because I received training from McDonalds... And the extra things no one else did anything too so I didn't know what I was supposed to do. I guess I should have gone and asked but I figured if I worked the same as everyone else it wouldn't matter anyways.

Sorry, I did not mean to insinuate that you were an unmotivated and lazy worker. Only that if you had not considered these things you may have been more guilty of the accusations than you realized (though not deserving to be shoved of course) and that you might want to think about that. It came to mind because of the way you described the job and how it did not seem very important to you except that you needed money. I know I have been guilty myself of hating my job and doing less than I probably ought have because of it. We don't always think about it and in the moment it may seem justified.

@OP:
I do not think your manager intentionally pushed you. As I see from your own words, he was reaching for the box not you.

During my high school summers,I worked in some companies, as a truck loader or other general labor tasks and the ones involved heavy lifting for the whole time had really tough guys and workplace always looked like a battle field with everyone shouting at each other because it was too loud. I don't know about places like McDonalds but I am sure that in many places you might feel like abused particularly if you are new because of the way your manager shout at you or you have to be very careful when you walk around.

Sorry! said:

You have to be competitive if you actually want the job. I understand completely if you hate your job, I've done it. But that isn't the point, you do your job to the best of your ability and if that doesn't work for you, it's not the fault of those who are critical of your work. It's just not your niche. I can totally relate.

In your shoes, I'd drop that job or challenge myself to perfect the duties of the position. Look at it as a challenge. But I wouldn't make it the fault of my employer if I'm not measuring up to his/her standards.

I don't get that the physical altercation you told us about is worth the hassle to pursue to an end. If it is typical of this person, then of course, but if not then it could easily be construed as a misunderstood accident. (but you could still get some settlement cash if you were really looking to get them for hasseling you for not measuring up to their performance standards)

1. What is a temporary full-time job at a local Wendys?

A temporary full-time job at a local Wendys is a position that involves working at a Wendy's restaurant for a set period of time, typically between 3-6 months, on a full-time basis. This means that you will be working around 40 hours per week and will have a set schedule during that time.

2. How long does a temporary full-time job at a local Wendys last?

The duration of a temporary full-time job at a local Wendys can vary, but it typically lasts between 3-6 months. This timeframe is usually determined by the needs of the restaurant and can be extended if necessary.

3. What are the responsibilities of a temporary full-time job at a local Wendys?

The responsibilities of a temporary full-time job at a local Wendys may include taking orders, preparing food, operating the cash register, maintaining cleanliness and hygiene standards, and providing excellent customer service. The specific tasks may vary depending on the position you are hired for.

4. Are there any qualifications or experience required for a temporary full-time job at a local Wendys?

While previous experience in the food service industry may be beneficial, it is not always required for a temporary full-time job at a local Wendys. The most important qualifications are a positive attitude, strong work ethic, and willingness to learn and follow company policies and procedures.

5. Is there potential for a permanent position after a temporary full-time job at a local Wendys?

While there is no guarantee, there is potential for a temporary full-time job at a local Wendys to turn into a permanent position. This will depend on your performance during your temporary position and the availability of permanent positions at the restaurant. It is always a good idea to express your interest in a permanent role and work hard during your temporary position to increase your chances of being hired permanently.