Leakage resistance of capacitor theory help?

In summary: I was not convinced as the answer seemed so large. Thanks again for your help.In summary, the leakage resistance of a non-ideal capacitor with a dielectric of Er=12, dimensions of 0.01m x 0.005m, and resistivity of 10`14 ohm/m is 1.062x10`14 ohms.
notsosmart
leakage resistance of capacitor theory help??

Homework Statement

i have worked out the answer to my question, yet it seems silly so have convinced myself its wrong. Please help, or tell me if I'm being stupid if you can??

a parallel plate capacitor Er=12, length=10mm, width=5mm, C=100pF, rho=10`14.

calculate the leakage resistance of the capacitor?

Homework Equations

R= rho( length/area) C= (ErEo x A)/ d

The Attempt at a Solution

no idea. got as far as area 5 x 10`-5
EoEr = 1.062 x 10`-10

i just can't figure out how to get back to the capacitors leakage resistance??

Physics news on Phys.org

notsosmart said:

Homework Statement

i have worked out the answer to my question, yet it seems silly so have convinced myself its wrong. Please help, or tell me if I'm being stupid if you can??

a parallel plate capacitor Er=12, length=10mm, width=5mm, C=100pF, rho=10`14.

calculate the leakage resistance of the capacitor?

Homework Equations

R= rho( length/area) C= (ErEo x A)/ d

The Attempt at a Solution

no idea. got as far as area 5 x 10`-5
EoEr = 1.062 x 10`-10

i just can't figure out how to get back to the capacitors leakage resistance??

Could you please write out your full R calculation, including units along the way? Your equation for R is correct, but it will help a lot to see the calculation with units (so we don't have to guess or do the full calc).

sorry, to clarify properly;
the question is three part.
a) i am given an area of SHEET material with dimensions 10mm x 20mm with rho=10`3ohm/m. i have to calculate the thickness required to give a resistance of 5kohms.
answer; l=A(R/rho)
l =0.01 x 0.02 x (5000/10`3)
l=1mm

b) i am now given a capacitor that is formed by two parallel metal plates separated by a dielectric of Er=12 with plates dimensions of 0.01m x 0.005m. I have to calculate the thickness of the dielectric required to create a capacitor of 100pF.
answer; E=EoEr
E=(8.85x10`-12) x 12
E=1.062 x 10`-10

(Eo is given as a general value in my notebook)

d= EA/C
d= (1.062x10`-12 x (0.01 x 0.005))/100x10-5
d= 5.31x10`-5m

c)I am now asked (this is where i am struggling),to find the leakage resistanceof A non ideal capacitor having having a 'leaky' dielectric. The values given are Er=12, rho=10`14 and C=100pF.

I have asked my tutor for help, and she said to look at the formula used in the 2 previous answers, to work out the leakage resistance. I am struggling to do this. I think she also wants me to incorporate the answers worked out.

Any help greatly appreciated. I am not looking for the answer, just guidance as how to get there.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

notsosmart said:
sorry, to clarify properly;
the question is three part.
a) i am given an area of SHEET material with dimensions 10mm x 20mm with rho=10`3ohm/m. i have to calculate the thickness required to give a resistance of 5kohms.
answer; l=A(R/rho)
l =0.01 x 0.02 x (5000/10`3)
l=1mm

b) i am now given a capacitor that is formed by two parallel metal plates separated by a dielectric of Er=12 with plates dimensions of 0.01m x 0.005m. I have to calculate the thickness of the dielectric required to create a capacitor of 100pF.
answer; E=EoEr
E=(8.85x10`-12) x 12
E=1.062 x 10`-10

(Eo is given as a general value in my notebook)

d= EA/C
d= (1.062x10`-12 x (0.01 x 0.005))/100x10-5
d= 5.31x10`-5m

c)I am now asked (this is where i am struggling),to find the leakage resistanceof A non ideal capacitor having having a 'leaky' dielectric. The values given are Er=12, rho=10`14 and C=100pF.

I have asked my tutor for help, and she said to look at the formula used in the 2 previous answers, to work out the leakage resistance. I am struggling to do this. I think she also wants me to incorporate the answers worked out.

Any help greatly appreciated. I am not looking for the answer, just guidance as how to get there.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

The leakage resistance of the cap is just defined by the volume dimensions of the dielectric block in the cap, and the resistivity of the dielectric block. You have most of those numbers, and you just need to keep your units straight in the calcs (convert to mks throughout). To show the equation a little more clearly in latex:

[tex]R = \rho \frac{L}{A}[/tex]

Is this simply;

R= 10'14 x ((5.31x10'-5)/ 0.01x0.005)

which equals 1.062x10'14 ohms??

This is the value I calculated first time but was not convinced?? Thanks for helping

1. What is the leakage resistance of a capacitor?

The leakage resistance of a capacitor refers to the amount of current that leaks through the dielectric material of the capacitor. It is the resistance to the flow of electric current between the capacitor plates.

2. Why is leakage resistance important in capacitors?

Leakage resistance is important in capacitors because it can affect the performance and stability of the capacitor. A high leakage resistance can cause the capacitor to lose its stored charge, while a low leakage resistance can lead to excessive current flow and potential damage to the circuit.

3. How is the leakage resistance of a capacitor calculated?

The leakage resistance of a capacitor can be calculated by dividing the voltage across the capacitor by the current that leaks through it. This can be represented by the formula Rl = Vl/Il, where Rl is the leakage resistance, Vl is the voltage and Il is the leakage current.

4. What factors can affect the leakage resistance of a capacitor?

The leakage resistance of a capacitor can be affected by factors such as the type of dielectric material used, the temperature, and the age of the capacitor. Higher temperatures can increase leakage current, while older capacitors may have a higher leakage resistance due to wear and tear on the dielectric material.

5. How can the leakage resistance of a capacitor be reduced?

The leakage resistance of a capacitor can be reduced by using a higher quality dielectric material, choosing a capacitor with a lower operating temperature, and ensuring that the capacitor is not exposed to extreme environmental conditions. Regular maintenance and replacement of old capacitors can also help reduce leakage resistance.