Spellcheck - Now Available on New Reply/Thread Pages

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the discovery of a spell checker on a new reply and new thread pages. One person is excited about it and another person tests it out and finds it works well. Others mention having spell checkers in their browsers and discuss the effectiveness of the one on the site. They also mention the potential for bad spellers to affect the dictionary.
We now have spell check. It's to the right of "preview post" for new reply and new thread pages.

Physics news on Phys.org
Horoay!

I mean, Hooray!

Lets see howe this works.

edit: 4 out of 5.

Ooh, it worked! :biggrin:

P.S. This should be mandatory!

Last edited:
A stormy kestrel landed tilted up on the nose of the spartan turf which beset me from incarnations of quilted basalt overlain with rosy partitions of larded jasper.

Eye halve a spelling chequer It came with my pea sea,
It plainly marques four my revue Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.
Eye strike a key and type a word And weight four it two say,
Weather eye am wrong oar write It shows me strait a weigh.
As soon as a mist ache is maid It nose bee fore two long,
And eye can put the error rite Its rare lea ever wrong.
Eye have run this poem threw it I am shore your pleased two no,
Its letter perfect awl the weigh, My chequer tolled me sew.

Whale, eye correct Ted my sent ants.

I type with an accent, will the spell-checker pick this up?

HEJ! Does this mean I can't type things with a j anymore? :sad:

P.S. This should be mandatory!

A few of us here have spell-checkers in our browsers (IESpell, Safari). It's really unnecessary for us to spell-check twice.

Dagenais said:
A few of us here have spell-checkers in our browsers (IESpell, Safari). It's really unnecessary for us to spell-check twice.

Hey, whatta you know! There is a spell checker in Safari! I only started using Safari a few weeks ago, so haven't quite gotten the knack of just what it will do and what features it has. Nifty. Although, all of my spelling mistakes are completely intentional.
*Moonbear shows creative license to the spelling police.*

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

PS- I just ran the above message through spell check (the one on this site, not Safari) for the fun of it. It picked up "whatta" but not "ya"...hmmm. I taught it my name (it thought that was spelled wrong too), and it also needed to learn "rofl" is okay.

When someone clicks "learn," does that add the word to the dictionary for everyone, or just for that user? Afterall, all we need is one notoriously bad speller who thinks they aren't to teach it all sorts of bad words to render it useless if it's saving what it learns to a common dictionary. :devil:

Moonbear said:
Hey, whatta you know! There is a spell checker in Safari! I only started using Safari a few weeks ago, so haven't quite gotten the knack of just what it will do and what features it has. Nifty.

Best browser ever! :biggrin:

1. What is the purpose of "Spellcheck - Now Available on New Reply/Thread Pages"?

The purpose of this feature is to help users of the forum ensure that their posts are free of spelling errors. It provides a spellcheck tool that can be used while writing a new reply or thread.

2. How does the spellcheck feature work?

The spellcheck tool uses an algorithm to check the spelling of words in the post against a dictionary. It will highlight any words that are misspelled and suggest possible corrections.

3. Can I customize the spellcheck settings?

Currently, the spellcheck feature does not have customizable settings. It will use the default dictionary and language settings of your browser.

4. Will the spellcheck feature correct my grammar errors as well?

No, the spellcheck feature only checks for spelling errors. It will not correct any grammar mistakes in your post.

5. Is the spellcheck feature available for all languages?

The spellcheck feature utilizes the default language settings of your browser. If your browser supports spellcheck for a specific language, then it will be available on the forum as well.