Prove set S is countable iff there exists a surjective/injective function

In summary, a nonempty set S is countable if and only if there exists a surjective function f:N->S or a injective function g:S->N. This means that if a set is either finite or countably infinite, it is considered countable. Additionally, the inverse function of f, g, is also an injection. To construct a surjective function f:N->S, we can extend a bijection from a finite set to S, or if f already exists, we can show that S is either finite or countably infinite.
cxc001
(a) A nonempty set S is countable if and only if there exists surjective function f:N->S
(b) A nonempty set S is countable if and only if there exists a injective function g:S->NThere are two way proves for both (a) and (b)
(a-1) prove if a nonempty set S is countable, then there exists surjective function f:N->S; (a-2) also prove if there exists surjective function f:N->S, then a nonempty set S is countable

(b-1) prove if a nonempty set S is countable, then there exists a injective function g:S->N; (b-2) also prove if there exists a injective function g:S->N, then a nonempty set S is countable

---------------------------------------------------
A set is countable if it is either finite or denumerable
1) Two finite countable sets are not necessarily of the same cardinality
2) Every two denumerable sets are of the same cardinality.

Set A is denumerable if there is a bijection f:N->A
---------------------------------------------------

How to construct a surjection f:N->S?
Also the inverse of function f which is g:S->N is also injection?

Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I am assuming 'denumerable'='countably infinite'.
Suppose S is countable.
If S is countably infinite then there is a bijection, by definition, f:N-->S, so we are done.

If S is finite, then we know that there is a bijection h:{1,2,...,n}-->S. We can extend this to a surjection f:N-->S, as follows, f(i)=h(i) if 1<=i<=n, and f(i)=h(1) if i>n.

Now, assume that f:N-->S is a surjection. We need to show that S is either finite or countably infinite. If S is finite then it is clearly countable. Assume S is infinite.

Define E_i={j|f(i)=f(j)}. That is it consists of all elements in N that are mapped to the same element in S. Then consider the following mapping

h:S--> defined by h: i-->j, where j is some element of E_i... we can show that such a mapping is a bijection. Hence S is countably infinite.

You can do other cases similarly, and also fill in the gaps that i have left for you in this proof.

Last edited:
Thanks!

1. What does it mean for a set to be countable?

A set is countable if it can be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the set of natural numbers (1, 2, 3, ...). This means that every element in the set can be counted and assigned a unique natural number.

2. What is a surjective function?

A surjective function is a function where every element in the output range is mapped to by at least one element in the input domain. In other words, every element in the output range has a corresponding element in the input domain.

3. What is an injective function?

An injective function is a function where every element in the output range is only mapped to by at most one element in the input domain. In other words, no two elements in the input domain map to the same element in the output range.

4. How does the existence of a surjective function prove that a set is countable?

If there exists a surjective function from a set S to the set of natural numbers, then every element in the set S is mapped to by at least one natural number. This means that every element in the set S can be counted and assigned a unique natural number, thus proving that S is countable.

5. How does the existence of an injective function prove that a set is countable?

If there exists an injective function from a set S to the set of natural numbers, then no two elements in S map to the same natural number. This means that there is a one-to-one correspondence between the elements in S and the natural numbers, thus proving that S is countable.