Need Help with Complete System Restore on HP Desktop with Vista?

In summary, the individual is trying to perform a complete system restore on their HP desktop running Vista but can only find options to restore to a previous backup. They are seeking assistance on how to do a full system restore. They have been advised to contact HP support, who have a good reputation for support but may follow up for two weeks after resolving the issue. Additionally, they may have a hidden partition or a set of CD-ROMs that can be used for system recovery.
gloverrn
I have an HP desktop running vista. I am wanting to do a complete system restore to restore back to original settings. I can only find where to restore to a prev. back-up. How do I go about this--HELP

Computer science news on Phys.org
gloverrn said:
I have an HP desktop running vista. I am wanting to do a complete system restore to restore back to original settings. I can only find where to restore to a prev. back-up. How do I go about this--HELP
You might want to call HP support, they are really good. I bought a new HP because of their support. 2 thumbs up. The only down side is that they will call you for two weeks after they've resolved your problem to make sure everything is still ok.

Usually there's a second "hidden" partition on the hard drive used to restore to factory settings on OEM computers. Reboot your system, and try pressing various function keys, F12, F10, F9, F8, F2, F1, ..., usually one of these will boot into a system recovery mode. In some cases, you may have a set of cd-roms used to do a system restore.

Last edited:

What is a complete system restore?

A complete system restore is a process that involves resetting a computer or other electronic device back to its original factory settings. This means that all data, programs, and settings will be erased and the device will be returned to its original state when it was first purchased.

Why would someone need to do a complete system restore?

A complete system restore is often needed when a computer or device is experiencing significant issues, such as a virus or software malfunction, that cannot be fixed through other means. It allows for a clean slate and can help resolve any problems that may be caused by corrupted files or settings.

How long does a complete system restore take?

The length of time for a complete system restore can vary depending on the specific device and its processing speed. It can take anywhere from 30 minutes to a few hours. It is important to ensure that the device is fully charged or plugged in during this process.

Will a complete system restore delete all of my files?

Yes, a complete system restore will delete all files, programs, and settings on the device. It is important to back up any important files before beginning the process. Some devices may offer the option to keep personal files, but it is always recommended to back up all important data beforehand.

Can a complete system restore fix all problems with a device?

A complete system restore can fix many common problems with a device, such as software issues or viruses. However, it cannot fix any hardware problems that may be present. If the issue is related to hardware, a complete system restore may not be effective and further troubleshooting or repairs may be necessary.