Position of a Particle as Function of Time (Velocity, Acceleration, etc.)

In summary, the position of a particle as a function of time is given by C1 + C2t + C3t2. The velocity of the particle at time t = 13.0 s is decreasing and the acceleration is negative.
09jml90

Homework Statement

The position of a particle as a function of time (in s) is given by C1 + C2t + C3t2.
Let C1 = 19.0 m, C2 = 39.1 m/s, and C3 = -0.62 m/s2.

(a) What is the velocity of the particle at time t = 13.0 s?
(b) What is the particle's acceleration at time t = 13.0 s?

Homework Equations

C1 + C2t + C3t2.

Let C1 = 19.0 m, C2 = 39.1 m/s, and C3 = -0.62 m/s2.

The Attempt at a Solution

I wasn't sure how to do this problem from the beginning, so I tried playing around with some numbers to see if anything could come up. I tried substituting 13.0 into the formula to create a quadratic equation and got: -104.78x2 + 508.3x + 19. I then used the quadratic formula to get some points: (-0.037, 0.0495) (4.888, 0.06186). If I'm doing anything right so far, I would say from the graph that the velocity is decreasing and the acceleration is negative?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
So you have (after substituting the Cs) s=19+39.1t-0.62t2.

You need to get 'v' and 'a' when 't=13'. All you need to do is remember your Relevant Equations

v=ds/dt and a=dv/dt

I actually haven't taken calculus and don't know derivatives yet but I'm taking physics and calculus simultaneously right now. I'm going to try to look derivatives up and see what I can come up with and post my solutions.

Thanks for the tip. I'll let you know what I get

Well for your problem, you just need to know that

y=tn then dy/dt=ntn-1 for all n.

What does "n" stand for in the equation

09jml90 said:
What does "n" stand for in the equation

'n' is a constant so it can be any number.

Wait never mind. Just saw it.

Using the equation I'm getting -1.24? Is that anything?

09jml90 said:
Using the equation I'm getting -1.24? Is that anything?

That is for the velocity or acceleration?

I'm actually not sure. Can you use that equation to find both the velocity and acceleration?
And is this the "Simple Power Rule?"

09jml90 said:
I'm actually not sure. Can you use that equation to find both the velocity and acceleration?
And is this the "Simple Power Rule?"

I am not sure if that is the name of the rule.

But yes, you will use the initial equation to find the velocity and acceleration.

Remember v=ds/dt (so you will now have a formula for 'v') and then a =dv/dt (you will get a formula for 'a').

Oh I didn't even think about substitution. Man I suck at this more than I thought. One sec.

Velocity = 22.98 m/s?

Acceleration = -1.24 m/s2?

Yes, those should are correct.

Thank you for your help. Very much appreciate it.

What is the position of a particle as a function of time?

The position of a particle as a function of time is a mathematical representation of the location of a particle at any given moment. It is often graphed as a function, with time on the horizontal axis and position on the vertical axis.

What is velocity and how is it related to the position of a particle?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. In other words, it is the speed and direction at which a particle is moving. Velocity is directly related to the position of a particle, as the position can be calculated by integrating the velocity function over time.

What is acceleration and how does it affect the position of a particle?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity with respect to time. It can be thought of as the change in an object's speed or direction. Acceleration affects the position of a particle by causing it to change its velocity, which in turn changes its position over time.

How do you calculate the position of a particle using its velocity and acceleration?

The position of a particle can be calculated by integrating the velocity function over time. This will give the change in position over a given time interval. To calculate the position at a specific time, the initial position of the particle must also be taken into account.

What other factors can affect the position of a particle as a function of time?

Besides velocity and acceleration, other factors that can affect the position of a particle as a function of time include external forces such as gravity or friction, as well as the shape and size of the object. Additionally, the initial conditions of the particle, such as its starting position and initial velocity, can also impact its position over time.