Would You Take a One-Way Trip to Mars?

• Thread starter Borg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mars
In summary: Let's not forget, this is just a proposal and not a concrete plan. There are still many factors to consider, such as the technology and resources needed, as well as the impact on the individuals involved. In summary, the article discusses the idea of sending people on a one-way trip to colonize Mars, which could potentially cut costs and ensure a long-term commitment. However, there are concerns about the psychological and practical challenges of such a mission, as well as the risk involved. Ultimately, whether or not people would actually go on a one-way trip to Mars remains to be seen.

Would you take a one-way trip to Mars?

• Yes

Votes: 28 29.8%
  • No

Votes: 49 52.1%
  • Maybe

Votes: 17 18.1%

• Total voters
I imagine a lot of people here regularly daydream about going into space, I definitely do! This isn't quite what I had in mind though. I can't even begin to fathom how lonely, desolate and just plain creepy it would be out there. I'd even crack up before touchdown, I almost lost it in a 24 hour train journey across Russia in 2011.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
This all kind of echoes what I was thinking when I saw this thread, resurrected and all.

I definitely think the goal of humanity should be expand into the cosmos. But until we stop peeing on each other over territorial disputes, world hunger, imminant nuclear threats, (global ADD) posturing for obsolete resources, and ignoring humanities potential, we have no business sending people to Mars in premature technology.

I'd like to see the ISS expand a bit more first, with some kind of base on the moon. Space programs that don't go kaput because of cost and lack of attention. If we can't expand on these basic things how are we ever going to get ourselves out of the solar system, let alone Mars?

Space X is looking pretty interesting though!

like D.H mentioned, there are other goals we could aim for besides Mars. Personally I feel Europa would be the most scientifically rewarding target in the solar system but that is likely a target that will take many decades, perhaps generations before we touch down there.

That being said, I think Mars is likely the most reasonable target to explore, given its proximity, I just don't think that Mars One is the answer. What they propose is preposterous. Just getting humans to Mars and back safely will be a serious undertaking. Touching down on Mars and coming home will be exponentially more challenging. but to set up a colony? Without any prior steps? its like trying to run before you learn how to even stand up.

Sadly I think this is just Money grab. Even sadder that they are getting the hopes of up of tens of thousands of people in the process.