Considering switching my discipline

• Thread starter Piner902
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a person who is currently studying civil engineering in Canada but is considering switching to mechanical engineering. They are seeking information about the two fields, including potential job opportunities, salaries, and course difficulties. The conversation also includes a personal experience of someone who switched from civil to mechanical engineering and is now working in their dream job.
Piner902
Currently I'm halfway through my 2nd year of Civil engineering in Canada. The way the program runs in my province is that you take the first two years at some university, then continue the last 2-3 years at a certain one. Anyway, I chose civil but I am strongly considering switching into mechanical engineering. I have an interest in biomedical, but the prof who teaches mech. eng. courses (which overlap with civil during 2nd year) is a bit..well, he worked for NASA, then Harvard, now here. Anyway, his failure rate is incredibly high so the courses he instructs this term (thermodynamics 1 and dynamics of rigid bodies 1) I dislike.

Could anyone (either still in university or practicing) give me an overview of civil/mechanical engineering? What a "typical" job may be? Salaries? Difficulties? Types of courses?

Any help is appreciated! If I do decide to switch, I'll be one course short for 2nd year, but I'll be two courses ahead in 3rd so that's not a big deterrent.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't help you, but it's always nice to see a fellow Canuk on board. I'm in southern Alberta; where are you?

Piner902 said:
Could anyone (either still in university or practicing) give me an overview of civil/mechanical engineering? What a "typical" job may be? Salaries? Difficulties? Types of courses?

You can easily search on Google to find the descriptions you seek:

Wikipedia.org said:
Civil engineering is a professional engineering discipline that deals with the design, construction, and maintenance of the physical and naturally built environment, including works such as bridges, roads, canals, dams and buildings.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_engineering

Wikipedia.org said:
Mechanical engineering is a discipline of engineering that applies the principles of physics and materials science for analysis, design, manufacturing, and maintenance of mechanical systems. It is the branch of engineering that involves the production and usage of heat and mechanical power for the design, production, and operation of machines and tools.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanical_engineering

You can also find average salary data online. I would say based on my CE friends that Mechanical engineers have a slightly higher average salary.

Hi Piner902,

I was in the exact same situation. I'd completed 2 years of civil engineering and found the work boring, it didn't feel like i was learning about 'real' engineering work, just an over simplified version. (This may have just been the course at my Uni though).

Anyway at the start of this year i switched to a combined degree in mechanical engineering and physics, and it's been one of the best decisions of my life. The work is so much more involved and interesting, incredibly versatile career opportunities (pretty much anything with moving parts, and even some things without, could require the work of a mechanical engineer)- from developing new materials to rockets to renewable energy.

This Christmas break i also landed a vacation job at Australia's largest renewable energy research center, which is pretty much my dream job, only 1 year after changing degrees.

Anyway, if you want something more technical, challenging and versatile than civil then I'd strongly recommend changing- that being said everyone's interests are different so what i enjoy about mechanical could be different to you.

Hope this helps.
-Alex

I understand the importance of making informed decisions when it comes to choosing a discipline in engineering. It is important to consider your interests, strengths, and career goals when making such a decision.

Civil engineering and mechanical engineering are both highly respected disciplines in the field of engineering. While they may have some overlaps in courses, they have distinct differences in terms of job opportunities and career paths.

Civil engineering focuses on the design, construction, and maintenance of infrastructure such as bridges, roads, buildings, and water systems. This field requires strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as an understanding of materials, structures, and construction methods. A typical job in civil engineering may include working for a construction or consulting firm, government agency, or in the private sector. Salaries for civil engineers can vary depending on experience and location, but the average salary in Canada is around $80,000 per year.

On the other hand, mechanical engineering deals with the design, development, and manufacturing of mechanical systems and devices. This field requires a strong understanding of physics, mathematics, and materials science. A typical job in mechanical engineering may include working in industries such as automotive, aerospace, or manufacturing. Salaries for mechanical engineers also vary depending on experience and location, but the average salary in Canada is around $90,000 per year.

Both disciplines have their own set of challenges and difficulties, and it is important to consider your strengths and interests when making a decision. It is also worth noting that job opportunities and salaries may vary depending on the location and industry.

In terms of courses, civil engineering courses may include topics such as structural analysis, geotechnical engineering, and transportation engineering. Mechanical engineering courses may include thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, and materials science. It is important to research the specific courses offered in each discipline to determine which aligns better with your interests and career goals.

Ultimately, the decision to switch disciplines should be based on your personal interests and goals. It may also be helpful to speak with current students or professionals in both fields to gain a better understanding of the day-to-day responsibilities and career opportunities. I wish you the best of luck in your decision-making process.

1. What are the benefits of switching my discipline as a scientist?

Switching your discipline as a scientist can open up new opportunities for research and collaboration. It can also broaden your knowledge and skills, making you a more well-rounded scientist. Additionally, switching disciplines can help you stay current and relevant in your field as science is constantly evolving.

2. What challenges should I anticipate if I switch my discipline?

Switching disciplines can be challenging as you will have to learn new concepts and techniques. It may also require additional time and effort to establish yourself in the new field. Additionally, there may be resistance or skepticism from peers and colleagues, but staying determined and open-minded can help overcome these challenges.

3. Will switching disciplines affect my career progression?

Switching disciplines may not necessarily have a negative impact on your career progression. In fact, it can demonstrate your adaptability and willingness to learn, which are valuable traits in the scientific community. However, it is important to carefully consider the potential impact on your current projects and collaborations before making the switch.

4. How do I decide which discipline to switch to?

The decision to switch disciplines should be based on your interests, strengths, and career goals. It is important to thoroughly research and explore different disciplines to determine which one aligns best with your skills and passions. Consulting with mentors and colleagues can also provide valuable insights and guidance.

5. Are there any resources to help me make the transition to a new discipline?

There are many resources available to help scientists make the transition to a new discipline. These can include workshops, training programs, and conferences focused on interdisciplinary research. Additionally, connecting with experts and practitioners in the new field can provide valuable insights and support as you navigate the transition.