Exothermic Reaction Materials: 180-190 C, Safe & Easy to Acquire

In summary: Your Name]In summary, as a chemical engineer, I would recommend the combination of calcium oxide and water or sodium hydroxide and aluminum powder for an exothermic reaction at 180-190 C. These materials are readily available, inexpensive, safe, and not extremely corrosive. However, it is important to conduct small-scale experiments and consider proper disposal methods for potential byproducts. Collaboration and knowledge-sharing among scientists is also encouraged.
72Zorad
Not getting any responses in the Chemical Engineering so I'll try here :)

Hi all,
I'm looking for two material to produce an exothermic reaction of 180-190 C.

I'd prefer the materials to be cheap in larger quantities (think mass production, not mass explosion :smile:).
Safe, other than the heat concerns. Not extremely corrosive, toxic...
Easy to clean once combined.
Prefer materials that are easy to acquire.

If possible more than one combination of materials so other factors may be considered.

If someone is interested in what I'm considering I'm more than happy to share.

Thanks,

Mark

Chemistry news on Phys.org

Dear Mark,

As a chemical engineer, I would suggest looking into the combination of calcium oxide and water for an exothermic reaction at the desired temperature range. Calcium oxide is a readily available and inexpensive material, and when combined with water, it produces calcium hydroxide and releases a significant amount of heat. This reaction is also relatively safe, non-toxic, and not extremely corrosive.

Another combination to consider is the reaction between sodium hydroxide and aluminum powder. This reaction also produces a significant amount of heat and is relatively safe and easy to acquire. However, it may be slightly more corrosive than the first option.

I would recommend conducting small-scale experiments to determine the exact proportions of the materials needed for the desired temperature and to ensure safety. It is also important to consider the potential byproducts of these reactions and how to properly dispose of them.

I hope this helps in your search for suitable materials. If you have any further questions or would like to discuss other options, please feel free to share more about your project. As fellow scientists, we are always happy to collaborate and share knowledge.

1. What is an exothermic reaction?

An exothermic reaction is a chemical reaction that releases heat energy, resulting in an increase in temperature of the surrounding environment. This type of reaction is characterized by the production of heat, light, or sound.

2. What are some examples of exothermic reactions?

Some common examples of exothermic reactions include combustion, such as burning wood or gasoline, and the reaction between acids and bases, such as vinegar and baking soda. Other examples include the reaction between sodium and water, and the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide.

3. What does it mean for a material to have a melting point of 180-190°C?

A material with a melting point of 180-190°C means that it will transition from a solid to a liquid state at temperatures between 180 and 190 degrees Celsius. This temperature range is important because it indicates that the material is stable and safe to handle at room temperature, but can undergo a reaction at higher temperatures.

4. How can I acquire exothermic reaction materials?

Exothermic reaction materials can be easily acquired from chemical suppliers, hardware stores, and online retailers. Some common materials used in exothermic reactions include sodium hydroxide, ammonium nitrate, and potassium permanganate. It is important to always follow proper safety precautions when handling these materials.

5. Are exothermic reaction materials safe to handle?

Exothermic reaction materials can be safe to handle if proper precautions are taken. It is important to always wear appropriate protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, when handling these materials. Additionally, it is important to follow proper storage and handling guidelines to minimize the risk of accidents or injuries.