Linear attenuation coefficient

In summary, the sphere with a radius of 1cm containing the same density of H2O as its surroundings and an additional 10^20 iodine atoms/cubic cm has a linear attenuation coefficient of 3.6x10^-2 /cm. The contrast when imaged using 50keV x-rays is 0.068.
indie452

Homework Statement

sphere r=1cm contains same density of H2O as surroundings with additional N=10^20 iodine atoms/cubic cm

linear attenuation coeff (u) for water at 50keV = 0.2 /cm
crosssection for interaction of 50kEV photon with iodine = c = 3.6x10^-22 /cm^2

a) calculate u for the sphere at 50keV
b) calculate contrast (C) with its surroundings when imaged using 50keV xrays

The Attempt at a Solution

a) u[iodine] = Nc = 0.036 /cm
so u[sphere] = u[iodine] + u[water] = 0.246 /cm

b) intensity not through sphere I1 = I*exp[-u[water]d] d=distance traveled in water
intensity through sphere I2 = I*exp[-u[water](d-D)]*exp[-u[sphere]D] D=diameter of sphere

C= (I1 - I2)/I1 = 1 - exp[-(u[sphere]-u[water])D]
= 0.069

is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org

I appreciate your attempt at solving this problem. However, I would like to provide some feedback and corrections to your solution.

a) The calculation for u[iodine] is correct, but the calculation for u[sphere] is not. To find the linear attenuation coefficient for the sphere, you need to use the formula u = Nσ, where N is the number density of atoms and σ is the cross section for interaction. Therefore, u[sphere] = (10^20 atoms/cm^3)(3.6x10^-22 /cm^2) = 3.6x10^-2 /cm.

b) Your calculation for the contrast is not correct. The formula for contrast is C = (I1 - I2)/I1, where I1 is the intensity without the sphere and I2 is the intensity with the sphere. The intensity without the sphere can be calculated using the formula I1 = I*exp(-u[water]d), where I is the initial intensity, u[water] is the linear attenuation coefficient for water, and d is the distance the x-rays travel through the water. The intensity with the sphere can be calculated using the formula I2 = I*exp(-u[water](d-D))*exp(-u[sphere]D), where D is the diameter of the sphere. Therefore, C = 1 - exp[-u[sphere]D]. Plugging in the values, we get C = 1 - exp[-(3.6x10^-2 /cm)(2 cm)] = 0.068.

I hope this helps clarify the solution. Keep up the good work!

What is the definition of linear attenuation coefficient?

The linear attenuation coefficient is a measure of the reduction in intensity of a beam of radiation as it passes through a material. It is defined as the fraction of the radiation that is absorbed or scattered per unit thickness of the material.

How is the linear attenuation coefficient calculated?

The linear attenuation coefficient can be calculated by dividing the natural logarithm of the initial intensity of the radiation by the product of the material's thickness and its mass attenuation coefficient. This gives a value in units of inverse length, such as cm-1.

What factors affect the linear attenuation coefficient?

The linear attenuation coefficient is influenced by several factors, including the type of radiation being used, the energy of the radiation, the type and density of the material, and the thickness of the material. Additionally, the atomic number and elemental composition of the material can also affect the linear attenuation coefficient.

What is the role of the linear attenuation coefficient in radiation shielding?

The linear attenuation coefficient plays a crucial role in determining the effectiveness of materials in shielding against radiation. Materials with higher linear attenuation coefficients are more effective at reducing the intensity of radiation passing through them. This is why materials such as lead, which have high linear attenuation coefficients, are commonly used in radiation shielding.

How does the linear attenuation coefficient vary with different types of radiation?

The linear attenuation coefficient can vary greatly depending on the type of radiation being used. For example, gamma rays have a higher linear attenuation coefficient than alpha particles, meaning they are more easily attenuated. This is due to the higher energy and shorter wavelength of gamma rays, which makes them more likely to interact with and be absorbed by materials.