Camera near the speed of light

In summary: And part of understanding relativity is understanding that things don't look any different depending on your velocity, this is one of the fundamental principles.
Voltaire6022
If you were infinitely close to the speed of light, and you attempted to take a picture of yourself, would it work? Would there be any way to make it work using relative velocities?

Physics news on Phys.org
What? Structure the question better.

Say two people are on a spaceship traveling at near speed of light. If one wants to take a picture of the other, would that be possible?

EDIT: The picture would be taken by the person in the rear of the craft, facing the front.

They shouldn't see nor feel anything strange, assuming they are moving with constant, uniform velocity (with respect to some other observer, of course - in their frame they are stationary). So yes, they will be able to take a picture.

Yes, if they are both on the same spaceship traveling at near the speed of light, they would be able to take pictures easily. They wouldn't even notice anything strange because relative to each other, both of them are at rest.

The spaceship traveling near the speed of light must be traveling at that speed relative to something else, and it certainly isn't traveling at that speed relative to the people inside of it. You would have to say the spaceship is traveling near the speed of light relative to say, a passing planet or star or whatever. And even then, on board, nothing peculiar will happen.

The interesting question, on the other hand, would be if someone on a passing planet tried to take a picture of someone on the spaceship, then you'd see relativistic effects!

Last edited:
Much less exciting than what I was hoping, but thanks :P

Pengwuino said:
The interesting question, on the other hand, would be if someone on a passing planet tried to take a picture of someone on the spaceship, then you'd see relativistic effects!

That's not an interesting question, especialy not the interesting question.

Yea I bet that photo would turn out real well. :uhh:

At speeds "infinitely" close to c, the answer they "wouldn't notice anything different and could take pictures easily" is moot.

That is, after all, the whole point of "relativity". The two people are, relative to each other, stationary.

nitsuj said:
That's not an interesting question, especialy not the interesting question.

Yea I bet that photo would turn out real well. :uhh:

What? You don't think that a photo showing relativistic effects would be interesting?

nitsuj said:
At speeds "infinitely" close to c, the answer they "wouldn't notice anything different and could take pictures easily" is moot.

That doesn't really make any sense. That IS the answer - how can it be "moot?"

elfmotat said:
What? You don't think that a photo showing relativistic effects would be interesting?

That doesn't really make any sense. That IS the answer - how can it be "moot?"

Never said I don't think that a photo showing relativistic effects would be interesting.

I said that it is not an interesting question, let alone, the interesting question.

it is not possible so that makes it moot.

nitsuj said:

In principle it is possible, so the question is not moot.

nitsuj said:
Never said I don't think that a photo showing relativistic effects would be interesting.

I said that it is not an interesting question, let alone, the interesting question.

Why is it not possible? In a sense that's what astronomy is all about... although maybe the things they see are more often GR effects than SR ones

elfmotat said:
In principle it is possible, so the question is not moot.

I think there may be a semantic issue here. If you had a photo that showed effects depending on "velocity through space" or "absolute velocity", they wouldn't be relativistic effects. They'd be evidence that relativity was wrong.

Note that we (or at least I) don't want to start a debate on "is relativity right or wrong" here. The experimental evidence is out there for those who want to study it (such as the failure of previous attempts to measure the absolute velocity of the Earth through space through the M.M. experiment, for starters).

The forum is mostly dedicated to helping people who want to understand relativity to understand it. And part of understanding relativity is understanding that things don't look any different depending on your velocity, this is one of the fundamental principles.

pervect said:
I think there may be a semantic issue here. If you had a photo that showed effects depending on "velocity through space" or "absolute velocity", they wouldn't be relativistic effects. They'd be evidence that relativity was wrong.

Note that we (or at least I) don't want to start a debate on "is relativity right or wrong" here. The experimental evidence is out there for those who want to study it (such as the failure of previous attempts to measure the absolute velocity of the Earth through space through the M.M. experiment, for starters).

The forum is mostly dedicated to helping people who want to understand relativity to understand it. And part of understanding relativity is understanding that things don't look any different depending on your velocity, this is one of the fundamental principles.

I think you may have misunderstood what nitsuj was saying. He wasn't arguing that photographs taken in an inertial reference frame near traveling near c relative to another observer wouldn't show relativistic effects within that frame - he was arguing that it's impossible to have a spaceship traveling near c to begin with, so the question is moot. If you read my original post in this thread you'll see that I'm well aware of the principle of relativity.

Last edited:
elfmotat said:
I think you may have misunderstood what nitsuj was saying. He wasn't arguing that photographs taken in an inertial reference frame near traveling near c relative to another observer wouldn't show relativistic effects within that frame - he was arguing that it's impossible to have a spaceship traveling near c to begin with, so the question is moot. If you read my original post in this thread you'll see that I'm well aware of the principle of relativity.

I'd like to point out I said specifically the answer is moot.

I never read the definition of moot until now.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/moot"

Doesn't make sense? It could define moot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pengwuino said:
Why is it not possible?

I don't know. Is it?

Is it possible for there to be a ship with two people on board with a camera all traveling "infinitely close to the speed of light" and take a photo?

And at the same time on a planet passed by the ship a camera takes a photo of the ship while it passed by at "infinitely close to the speed of light"?

And that photo to show relativistic effects?

Sounds rather abstract and deprived of practical significance.

nitsuj said:
I don't know. Is it?

Is it possible for there to be a ship with two people on board with a camera all traveling "infinitely close to the speed of light" and take a photo?

And at the same time on a planet passed by the ship a camera takes a photo of the ship while it passed by at "infinitely close to the speed of light"?

Why do you think thought experiments should be limited to the practical? Would you prefer the scenario "say there's a mu-meson particle moving at..." ? I don't really understand what your point is.

nitsuj said:
I don't know. Is it?

Yes, but that's like saying "what if I had a fusion powered rocket strapped to a 9 headed alien who eats glue and mates with cows. A cow attempts to take a picture of this fusion powered alien from Earth as it flies by...". These abstract concepts are simply human methods of imagining what is going on. Just because the description is not practical or possibly even silly doesn't mean we can't use it to understand what is actually happening in the universe. We just know that instead of a 9 headed alien traveling by Earth, we have a proton slamming into a target in a high energy physics experiment.

elfmotat said:
I don't really understand what your point is.

Here is the OP's question

"Say two people are on a spaceship traveling at near speed of light. If one wants to take a picture of the other, would that be possible?

EDIT: The picture would be taken by the person in the rear of the craft, facing the front."

After givin a moot answer...

The OP left with "Much less exciting than what I was hoping, but thanks :P".

So the OP belives a photo can be taken at near c speeds on a spaceship.

Perhaps the OP would have found it even less exciting to hear the impossibilities of accelerating a spaceship with people on board to near c speeds.

nitsuj said:
So the OP belives a photo can be taken at near c speeds on a spaceship.

And rightfully so, because a photo CAN be taken at speeds near c on a spaceship - whether or not we can build such a spaceship is irrelevant. OP's question was about the principle, and he was given an answer. I'm starting to think you're trolling me...

Justin, this is a question of principle. There is absolutely nothing in principle stopping the scenario from occurring.

Consider another question:
"Is it possible to take a picture on Pluto?"
Justin: "It is moot since we cannot get to Pluto."
Everyone else: "Of course it is possible to take a picture on Pluto."

Now, on to what would happen in the spaceship:

If we were to accelerate arbitrarily close to the speed of light, inside our spaceship it would be as if we were utterly stationary. There is no reason why a picture would not be completely normal.

Now, if we looked out the window, we'd see the universe whizzing by incredibly foreshortened and red/blue-shifted, but that's something else.

DaveC426913 said:
Justin, this is a question of principle. There is absolutely nothing in principle stopping the scenario from occurring.

Consider another question:
"Is it possible to take a picture on Pluto?"
Justin: "It is moot since we cannot get to Pluto."
Everyone else: "Of course it is possible to take a picture on Pluto."

Well Said Dave! I see their perspective more clearly now.

Note, there are 'observers' who see the space station and its occupants moving at 'virtually the speed of light'. They are called cosmic rays. Just as valid a frame as any other. Outfitting them with cameras is a bit of problem ...

This may be a stupid question but since this thread is about taking pictures while traveling near c, relative to let's say the earth. What would a picture taken looking out the side window look like. Assuming the lense of the camera was perfectly perpendicular to the direction of travel, and what would the picture look like out of the front and rear windows?

I'm going to take an uneducated guess and say everything out of the front window would be more blue, and the rear window more red. But would the length contraction be noticable? and would the length elongate out of the back window?

tkav1980 said:
This may be a stupid question but since this thread is about taking pictures while traveling near c, relative to let's say the earth. What would a picture taken looking out the side window look like. Assuming the lense of the camera was perfectly perpendicular to the direction of travel, and what would the picture look like out of the front and rear windows?

I'm going to take an uneducated guess and say everything out of the front window would be more blue, and the rear window more red. But would the length contraction be noticable? and would the length elongate out of the back window?

elfmotat said:

Verry cool. Thank you for that!

elfmotat said:

Way cool video.

Also: awesome avator elfmotat.

Consider this. Objects very distant from the Earth are observed to have velocities near the speed of light with respect to earth. So with respect to these distant objects the Earth is traveling at a relativistic velocity.

Now, can you take a picture?

Last edited:
Integral said:
Consider this. Objects very distant from the Earth are observed to have velocities near the speed of light with respect to earth. So with respect to these distant objects the Earth is traveling at a relativistic velocity.

Well Since we have some pictures of verry distant galaxys I'll say yes.

This may be the wrong part of the forum for this question, but I read on Discovery channel's website that some of the most distant ones are photographed using gravitational lensing. After watching that animation linked a few posts above, how does that effect change the picture?

Sorry if my answers are...well dumb...I don't possesses the math skills to really analize this type of thing so I am really just guessing based off of what I've seen and read.

tkav1980 said:
Well Since we have some pictures of verry distant galaxys I'll say yes.
Correct.

But the other point being: since from their point of view it is us speeding through the universe at near c, and we don't have trouble taking picture of each other here on Earth... therefore moving at near c does not affect the ability to take pictures.

tkav1980 said:
This may be the wrong part of the forum for this question, but I read on Discovery channel's website that some of the most distant ones are photographed using gravitational lensing. After watching that animation linked a few posts above, how does that effect change the picture?
This is unrelated. Grav lensing simply distorts the image:
220px-2004-08-a-web_print.jpg

Wiki gravitational lens for more info.

DaveC426913 said:
Correct.

But the other point being: since from their point of view it is us speeding through the universe at near c, and we don't have trouble taking picture of each other here on Earth... therefore moving at near c does not affect the ability to take pictures.

Is this because the speed of light is constant no matter what inertal refrence frame its observed from? Meaning, We see them moving near c, they see us moving near c, but both of us agree on the value of c regardless of our velocity compared to c.

Integral said:

interesting, what are these objects? and at what distance are they from us?

tkav1980 said:
Is this because the speed of light is constant no matter what inertal refrence frame its observed from?
Yes.
tkav1980 said:
Meaning, We see them moving near c, they see us moving near c, but both of us agree on the value of c regardless of our velocity compared to c.
No. Other way around. Our velocity when we compare it to c is always c. Their velocity when they compare it to c is always c.

But yes, we both agrgee that c wrt us is c.

nitsuj said:
interesting, what are these objects? and at what distance are they from us?

Distant galaxies billions of ly away near the edge of the observable universe.

DaveC426913 said:
Yes.

No. Other way around. Our velocity when we compare it to c is always c. Their velocity when they compare it to c is always c.

But yes, we both agrgee that c wrt us is c.

Hey, I really appreciate you taking the time to explain things. I think we both said the same thing when talking about velocites as they relate to c, but i tend to put things on paper so to speak that most people have a hard time understanding. It's simply the way i type.

I should have said from our point of view they are moving at x % of c, however they will measure c as c. in essence from their point of view our measurements don't mean anything since we are measuring from a different inertial frame. Still no matter who measures it, no matter what frame, c is always c.

For example, suppose you are standing on the side of a road, with a baseball catcher's mitt.
Standing on the back of a flat bed truck, moving toward you at 40 mph, I throw a baseball to you with, relative to me, a speed of 60 mph. By Newtonian theory, the baseball would have a speed, relative to you, of 60+ 40= 100 mph. By relativity, the baseball's speed relative to you would be very slightly less than 100 mph but the difference would be too small to measure.

If I were to shine a light toward you with, relative to me, speed c, by Newtonian theory, the speed of that light, relative to you, would be c+ 40. But, according to relativity, the speed of that light, relative to you, would still be c. That is what is meant when we say that the speed of light, relative to any observer is c.