What is a Double Displacement Reaction?

In summary, a double displacement reaction is a type of chemical reaction where two compounds exchange ions to form new compounds. It is also known as a metathesis reaction. One example of a double displacement reaction is when an aqueous solution of sodium carbonate is added to an aqueous solution of nitric acid, resulting in the formation of a gas. This type of reaction is also often associated with precipitation and gas-evolution reactions.
Bashyboy
What exactly is a double displacement reaction? I searched my textbook for the term--yes, I did check the glossary first--and it proved futile. My teacher alludes to this term and even has one power point slide to it. It says, "When an aqueous solution of sodium carbonate is added to an aqueous solution of nitric acid, a gas evolves." And that is all he has pertaining to double displacement reactions. Now, I did come across precipitation and gas-evolution reactions, and they appear to be similar. Could someone give me a good definition of this sort of reaction?

Thank you

Chemistry news on Phys.org

1. What is a double displacement reaction?

A double displacement reaction is a type of chemical reaction in which the cations and anions of two different compounds switch places, resulting in the formation of two new compounds.

2. How is a double displacement reaction different from other types of reactions?

In a double displacement reaction, the reactants and products are both compounds, whereas in other types of reactions, one of the reactants or products may be an element or a compound. Also, in a double displacement reaction, the number of atoms and the overall charge remain the same before and after the reaction.

3. What are some common examples of double displacement reactions?

Examples of double displacement reactions include precipitation reactions, acid-base neutralization reactions, and gas-forming reactions.

4. What are the general steps for balancing a double displacement reaction?

The general steps for balancing a double displacement reaction include writing the reactants and products, balancing the number of atoms of each element, and then balancing the charges on each side of the reaction.

5. What are some real-world applications of double displacement reactions?

Double displacement reactions are commonly used in the production of various products, such as soaps, detergents, and fertilizers. They are also important in the industrial production of chemicals, such as salts and acids, and in the purification of water.