What are the implications of time travel in popular culture?

• Thread starter Integral
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary: I'm glad to see that people are interested in this topic, but I don't think John's posts should be taken too seriously.
2004 past -- and the only civil unrest I can think of is the presidential election.
2005 is here -- and Israel and Palestine are "almost" making progress towards peace.

Maybe that 2% difference between Titor's worldline and ours makes a HUGE difference in our worldline...it takes only one outcome to change everything else.

Physics news on Phys.org
scarecrow said:
2004 past -- and the only civil unrest I can think of is the presidential election.

Iraq? Not the war but after. About as much civil unrest as you could imagine. The world is not just the US, you know.

I thought we were going to make it past the Coast to Coast Titor show without a single post to this thread. Still, at 100 hits, as opposed to 10,000 per show, I would say that Titor mania is finally dying down. :biggrin:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooo! Someone had to go and bring this thread back from the dead. Urg...
http://www.neowin.net/forum/fun/die_thread_die.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
selfAdjoint said:
Iraq? Not the war but after. About as much civil unrest as you could imagine. The world is not just the US, you know.
The civil unrest Titor predicted was specifically domestic, he said there would be a "Waco like incident every month". Referring to the Waco, TX incident. Boy did he get that WRONG!

I did hear about John Titor from the other night's airing of Coast to Coast...and I was led to this forum by the guest Physicist they had on last night.

Last edited:
what a load of bollocks.It goes to show how silly people really are.I read the whole link and nobody thought to ask a time traveller,which horse/team/ wins the big event tommorrow! the answer would have been sweet bollocks.Didnt anyone think in order for him to use the internet or post on the forums he had an ISP address.Which here in the UK you pay be credit card or at least bank details.He was here visiting for 4 month,and he thought i know i will open a bank account with my passport dated 2038 yeah really! I hope i offered some common sense here to anyone giving him any credibility

i thought this was debunked already. on another website i read that they had tracked him down by isp or something and that he admitted to making the whole thing up and that he took the idea from a book or something.

I believe his IP address only proved he was indeed in central Florida, where he claimed he was from.

Kakarot said:
i thought this was debunked already. on another website i read that they had tracked him down by isp or something and that he admitted to making the whole thing up and that he took the idea from a book or something.

After reading through this Titor stuff earlier this summer it seemed to me that there were some uncanny parallels to the book Alas Babylon.

reaper said:
what a load of bollocks.It goes to show how silly people really are.I read the whole link and nobody thought to ask a time traveller,which horse/team/ wins the big event tommorrow! the answer would have been sweet bollocks.Didnt anyone think in order for him to use the internet or post on the forums he had an ISP address.Which here in the UK you pay be credit card or at least bank details.He was here visiting for 4 month,and he thought i know i will open a bank account with my passport dated 2038 yeah really! I hope i offered some common sense here to anyone giving him any credibility.
Well not that I'm giving him any credibility but your argument here isn't very good. It seems you didn't read very closely. He did have people asking him who won what sports game and declined to answer "on moral grounds" and he said that he was staying with his parents in this time.

i just looked over the site. there's 3 new cases of mad cow, when a month ago they said cases were dwindling in europe. Also the information on china is interesting.

reaper said:
what a load of bollocks.It goes to show how silly people really are.I read the whole link and nobody thought to ask a time traveller,which horse/team/ wins the big event tommorrow! the answer would have been sweet bollocks.Didnt anyone think in order for him to use the internet or post on the forums he had an ISP address.Which here in the UK you pay be credit card or at least bank details.He was here visiting for 4 month,and he thought i know i will open a bank account with my passport dated 2038 yeah really! I hope i offered some common sense here to anyone giving him any credibility

Honestly, I think the only person who needs any common sense is yourself here sir...

There are a number of other options of connecting to the internet, public libraries, parents accounts, colleges, etc. etc. the list goes on.

Also, if you would have really "read the whole link" you would have known why he didn't give up information that could be used to gamble, etc.

I am not giving him credibility, but you are surely not taking anything away with your comments but your own personal dignity...Coming on this forum and calling everyone a bollock and speaking of how silly everyone is, while at the same time acting in the way you are describing doesn't help form a convincing arguement.

You are free to disagree and want to debunk this, just as anyone else does. But at least think longer before you start ranting and raving.

/bump

Well here we are about midway through 05 and nary a "waco type incident" in sight. Although things like Bush and the Patriot act were by no means positive signs I'm going to go ahead and give this the big thumbs down and call it an entertaining story :tongue2:

Zantra said:
/bump

Well here we are about midway through 05 and nary a "waco type incident" in sight. Although things like Bush and the Patriot act were by no means positive signs I'm going to go ahead and give this the big thumbs down and call it an entertaining story :tongue2:

And with that, Zantra, you get the last word on John Titor.