New Video on One trillion frames per second camera

In summary, a new video has been released showcasing a one trillion frames per second camera. This has been deemed a great achievement by researchers and has sparked interest in the topic. Some questions raised include how and why the camera works and whether it is possible to view individual photons with a camera. There is already a thread discussing this topic on the Physics Forums website.
jewbinson
New Video on "One trillion frames per second camera"

Here is the video:

Mods, please delete if there is already a thread for this.

I think this is a great achievement by the researchers.

It's an interesting topic, so maybe people can use it to ask questions on how/why it works, and other question of course. I don't actually know the answer myself - maybe someone more advanced can help me to understand.

I have a small side question: when the guy says that they can view photons... do they mean individual photons? I thought it was impossible to view individual photons from a camera and see what they look like... I thought you can only "detect" them. And also you can't know their exact position of a photon by the HUP... so what do they mean when they say they can "view" or "see" the photon?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

It's very misleading, IMO, and yes, there is another thread. Give me a sec to find it...

1. What is a "One trillion frames per second camera"?

A one trillion frames per second camera is a high-speed camera that is capable of capturing one trillion images in just one second. This is an incredibly fast speed that allows for the capture of ultrafast phenomena, such as the movement of light or chemical reactions, in great detail.

2. How does a one trillion frames per second camera work?

One trillion frames per second cameras use a technique called compressed ultrafast photography (CUP) to capture such high-speed footage. This involves using a laser pulse to illuminate the subject and then using a streak camera to capture the light reflected off the subject at different angles and times. The resulting images are then combined to create a video with a trillion frames per second.

3. What are the potential applications of a one trillion frames per second camera?

One trillion frames per second cameras have a wide range of potential applications in various fields, including scientific research, engineering, and medicine. They can be used to study ultrafast phenomena, such as the movement of light, chemical reactions, and biological processes, as well as to develop new technologies and improve existing ones.

4. Are there any other high-speed cameras that can compete with a one trillion frames per second camera?

Currently, there are no other cameras that can compete with a one trillion frames per second camera in terms of speed. However, there are other high-speed cameras that can capture footage at rates of millions or billions of frames per second, such as the femto-photography system or the ultrafast electron microscope.

5. How might a one trillion frames per second camera impact the future of science and technology?

A one trillion frames per second camera has the potential to significantly advance our understanding of the world and drive innovation in various fields. It can help us capture and analyze ultrafast processes that were previously impossible to study, leading to breakthroughs in physics, chemistry, biology, and more. This technology could also inspire the development of new high-speed cameras and imaging techniques that could further expand our capabilities in the future.