How Do You Calculate the Tension in the Top Rope of a Hanging Stoplight System?

• Thread starter psycovic23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, the conversation involves a problem with finding the tension in a horizontal rope and determining the torque equations for a diagonal bar and a stoplight. The equations for forces in the X and Y directions have been figured out, but the torque equation is still needed. It is suggested to use the equation T*3.8 to find the torque from the tension in the rope, which can then be used to find the horizontal component of the reaction at the hinge. The final answers are tension = 2.5 x 10^2, horizontal = 2.5 x 10^2, and vertical = 2.0 x 10^2.
psycovic23
http://mimesisprime.rightsidedown.com/homework.jpg

I'm having trouble with this problem...I need to figure out the tension in the top rope (the horizontal one). The diagonal bar is 7.5m long and weighs 8kg, and the thing that's supposed to be a stoplight is 12kg.

So far, I have to figure out the vertical and horizontal components of the hinge (A) and the tension of the rope. I've figured out 2 of the three equations, the ones for forces in the X and in the Y. I can't figure out the torque ones though...Assuming that we choose point A as the pivot point, what's the equation? I know you have a torque coming from the bar, (3.75*8kg*g), a torque from the stoplight (12kg*7.5m*9.8), but I don't what's countering that. The answers are: tension = 2.5 x 10^2, horizontal is 2.5 x 10^2, and verticle is 2.0 x 10^2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, write down the equations you've got so far. One of them should tell you the vertical component of the reaction at the hinge.

As for the torque : what's countering it is the torque from the tension in the rope = T*3.8.

From this, you can find T.

With this value of T and the X-equation, you get the horizontal component.

Last edited:

It seems like you're on the right track with your approach to this problem. In order to find the tension in the top rope, you will need to use the equations for forces in the X and Y directions and also consider the torque around point A as the pivot point.

To find the torque, you will need to consider the distance between the pivot point and the point where the force is applied. In this case, the force from the bar (3.75*8kg*g) is applied at a distance of 7.5m from the pivot point, while the force from the stoplight (12kg*7.5m*9.8) is applied at a distance of 12m from the pivot point.

In order to find the total torque, you will need to add these two torques together. This total torque will then be equal to the tension in the top rope (since the rope is acting as a force to counter the torques).

Once you have the total torque, you can set it equal to the torque equation (F*d*sin(theta)) and solve for the tension in the top rope.

I hope this helps and good luck with the problem!

1. What is the equation for calculating tension in a rope?

The equation for calculating tension in a rope is T = F * sin(θ), where T is the tension, F is the force applied, and θ is the angle between the rope and the direction of the force.

2. How does the weight of an object affect tension in a rope?

The weight of an object does not directly affect the tension in a rope. However, the weight of an object can determine the force applied to the rope, which in turn affects the tension.

3. What factors can affect tension in a rope?

Several factors can affect tension in a rope, including the force applied, the angle of the rope, the weight of the object being lifted, and any external forces acting on the rope.

4. How do I determine the direction of tension in a rope?

Tension in a rope always acts in the direction opposite to the force applied. For example, if the force is pulling the rope to the right, the tension in the rope will act to the left.

5. Can tension in a rope ever be greater than the applied force?

No, tension in a rope can never be greater than the applied force. The tension in a rope is equal and opposite to the force applied, and cannot exceed it.