Active Volcano in Venus: Unveiling the Mystery

In summary: Mehrdad1:In summary, peaks of mountains on Venus are more than that on the Earth. However, there is no active volcano that we know of on Venus.
Mehrdad1
Peaks of mountains in Venus are more than that on the Earth
Is there any active volcano?

Plz tell me about any active volcano in space

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Google. I found the answer to your questions using google in less than 30 seconds (and so can you). Just make sure you're looking at reliable websites.

thanks for googling it
but anything can be there right or wrong
somewhere i read there are no active volcano somewhere else there are volcanos...
which is correct?
have u observed any volcanic activities on venus personally?

Mehrdad1 said:
thanks for googling it
but anything can be there right or wrong
somewhere i read there are no active volcano somewhere else there are volcanos...
which is correct?
have u observed any volcanic activities on venus personally?

I personally have not had the pleasure of witnessing a live volcano erupt on Venus.

I think the fact that, when you google it, there are seemingly credible sources arguing both ways, you have come to the conclusion that "we don't know for sure". In terms of Venus, it is particularly hard to know because of the dense clouds that surround it. The best look at it that we have been able to get is an infrared shot from an ESA spacecraft .

This article is your best bet for high quality information on this subject. You may have to make an account there to read it, but that will be for the best, because then you'll be a member of a wonderful place, and will have access to more information should you have questions in the future.

Good luck! (I don't mean to be vague, but so long as you read through that article that I linked you to, and possibly read others that are similar to it from the same journal, then most of your questions should be answered).

EDIT: Only the first section is applicable to Venus and the possibility of active volcanoes in that article that I linked you to. For more in depth explanations of it, just do a quick search on that website and there should be others. Most of them have issues with presenting copies of them, so I don't know how well that would go down if I went around and posted links of it all over the internet.

Last edited:
Mehrdad1:

http://volcano.oregonstate.edu/oldroot/volcanoes/planet_volcano/venus/intro.html has an article entitled: "Volcanoes on Venus", which begins as follows:

"Volcanoes on Venus

"Overview

"Venus has more volcanoes than any other planet in the solar system. Over 1600 major volcanoes or volcanic features are known (see map), and there are many, many more smaller volcanoes. (No one has yet counted them all, but the total number may be over 100,000 or even over 1,000,000). These volcanoes come in a variety of forms. Most are either Large Shields or Smaller Shield volcanoes, but there are also many Complex Features, several Unusual Constructs, and a few Large Flow Features. None is known to be active at present, but our data is very limited. Thus, while most of these volcanoes are probably long dead, a few may still be active."

AnTiFreeze3:

Actually, NASA's Magellan spacecraft used radar to map 98% of the Venusian surface, per the JPL webpage http://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/magellan/ which begins as follows:

"Magellan MIssion to Venus

"Welcome to the Magellan Project home page!

"NASA's Magellan spacecraft made a dramatic conclusion to its highly successful mission at Venus when it is commanded to plunge into the planet's dense atmosphere Tuesday, October 11, 1994. During its four years in orbit around Earth's sister planet, the spacecraft has radar-mapped 98 percent of the surface and collected high-resolution gravity data of Venus. The purpose of the crash landing is to gain data on the planet's atmosphere and on the performance of the spacecraft as it descends.

"This home page offers Venus images taken by Magellan and other highlights from the mission."

BadBrain said:
... AnTiFreeze3:

Actually, NASA's Magellan spacecraft ...

The ESA's satellite was more recent, and it took infrared imaging of the planet, which is more useful when determining which volcanoes would have been most recently active.

It's true that we just don't know. Venus' surface shows evidendce of having been recently resurfaced, but does not appear to have tectonic plates, which has lead some astronomers to believe that all the volcanoes erupt at once, then go dormant while pressure and heat build up below the crust.

That's just one model, and I think it's possible that the surface just looks young because the high temps and thick atmosphere keep it constantly re-paving. Further observation is definitely needed. All we no so far is that none are active right now.

Mehrdad1 said:
...have u observed any volcanic activities on venus personally?

personally/optically viewing volcanoes on Venus is a tad difficult
Maybe you don't realize that Venus is totally shrouded in cloud :)

Dave

What is an active volcano?

An active volcano is a volcano that has erupted in the past 10,000 years and has the potential to erupt again in the future. It is currently showing signs of volcanic activity such as gas emissions, earthquakes, and/or lava flows.

Is there evidence of active volcanoes on Venus?

Yes, there is evidence of active volcanoes on Venus. In the 1970s, the Soviet Venera probes detected signs of volcanic activity on Venus, including lava flows and volcanic gases. In 2006, the European Space Agency's Venus Express mission also observed evidence of recent volcanic activity on Venus.

How are active volcanoes on Venus different from those on Earth?

Active volcanoes on Venus are different from those on Earth in several ways. Venus has a thicker atmosphere, higher surface temperatures, and a different composition of its crust, which results in different types of volcanic eruptions. Volcanoes on Venus also tend to be larger and more spread out compared to those on Earth.

What is the significance of studying active volcanoes on Venus?

Studying active volcanoes on Venus can help us better understand the planet's geology, its formation, and its potential for habitability. It can also provide insights into the differences between Venus and Earth's volcanic processes and how they have evolved over time.

What are the challenges of studying active volcanoes on Venus?

Studying active volcanoes on Venus can be challenging due to the harsh conditions on the planet's surface, including extreme temperatures, high pressures, and corrosive atmosphere. It is also difficult to obtain data from the surface of Venus due to its thick cloud cover. However, advancements in technology and future missions may help overcome these challenges and provide more insights into Venus' active volcanoes.