Looking for Analog to PWM signal -

In summary, the conversation is about a search for a product that can convert a standard analog signal to a PWM signal with a settable frequency. The speaker is looking for a hardwired, non-programmable device that is qualified for use in a power electronics application. They are considering a circuit using a 555 timer and a comparator, but are also interested in purchasing a qualified product. One suggestion is the signal conditioners made by Axiomatic.
Windadct
Hello All:

This may be a repeat post - I looked at my history and did not see it.

I am looking for a product ( finished/qualified) that takes a standard Analog signal ( 0-10V and/or 4-20mA) and converts to a PWM signal with fixed but settable; Frequency of ~ 100 to 5000hZ - possibly with a dip switch.

For example - if using the 0-10V input - at 5V the PWM signal has DS of 50%.

Needs to be hardwired - not a programmable device. In some circles this would be considered a signal conditioner.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi,
You can do this with a 555 timer and a comparator.

You configure the 555 timer to generate a sawtooth waveform, and you feed that waveform into the - input of the comparator, and then your DC voltage setting on the +. As you decrease the voltage level, the ramp voltage will hit it faster each cycle and turn the comparator off for a longer % of the cycle.

I don't know of anything fully qualified since this is a pretty simple circuit that anyone would just make probably.

Hello DP - Thanks - Yes I am sure to make one would be pretty basic, this is for a Power Electronics application where the components must be "Qualified Products" For us to do even a basic PCB and qualify it ~ 5 to $10K. Controlling a 100KW DC Power Supply application - where a Miss-operation would be a disaster.

Here is a circuit to do what I described.

You can ignore the output end with the 10k load, I used all of that for level shifting and protection only. If you use a single ended supply you would have less to worry about with that. The sine wave represents the adjustable DC voltage reference operating range. R1 and C1 set your frequency. The diode D1 shorts the high end of the resistor divider inside the 555 timer close to 0 to get fullest range.

Attachments

• pwm generator.jpg
    pwm generator.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 622
Windadct said:
Hello DP - Thanks - Yes I am sure to make one would be pretty basic, this is for a Power Electronics application where the components must be "Qualified Products" For us to do even a basic PCB and qualify it ~ 5 to $10K. Controlling a 100KW DC Power Supply application - where a Miss-operation would be a disaster.

Oh I see, then you'd definitely want to buy something already made or refine your own design a lot.

I'd say just use a modern signal generator, but that is not cheap itself. If miss-operation would result in disaster, I think this forum is not the right place to find your answers since someone fully qualified already should be making this decision. Something that is fully qualified never comes cheap.

Axiomatic makes the "www.axiomatic.com/current-pwm-converter.pdf" and the "www.axiomatic.com/TD2002AX.pdf" signal conditioners.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello again - I think Dlgoff has provided a good product to consider - Thanks! I am pretty good at web searing but this has eleuded me - it is actually reference to my customer, we just make the power stages. I thought someone may have seen such an animal. As for the actual circuit and design - yes I did need a robust solution, so I was more looking for a reference to an existing product than circuit / design advice.

Thanks Again!

1. What is an analog to PWM signal?

An analog to PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) signal is a type of digital signal that is used to convert an analog signal into a digital signal by varying the width of the pulses. This allows for the representation of continuous analog signals in the digital form.

2. How does an analog to PWM signal work?

An analog to PWM signal works by sampling the analog signal at regular intervals and comparing it to a reference value. The width of the pulses is then adjusted based on the comparison, with a wider pulse representing a higher value and a narrower pulse representing a lower value.

3. What are the applications of an analog to PWM signal?

An analog to PWM signal is commonly used in electronic devices such as motor controllers, power supplies, and audio amplifiers. It is also used in communication systems, robotics, and industrial automation.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using an analog to PWM signal?

One of the main disadvantages of using an analog to PWM signal is that it can introduce noise and distortion in the converted signal. Additionally, it requires additional circuitry to convert the digital signal back to analog, which can increase the complexity and cost of a system.

5. How does an analog to PWM signal differ from other digital signals?

An analog to PWM signal is different from other digital signals in that it is a variable signal, meaning the width of the pulses can change to represent different values. Other digital signals, such as binary or digital logic signals, only have two states (high or low) and do not have the ability to represent continuous values.