Connect 2 Wireless Routers w/ Charter?

• Thread starter Jmiles338
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wireless
In summary, it is possible to connect a wireless router to your current wireless router using a cat-5 cable in order to improve your connection in certain areas of your house. Many routers can be used as access points, but it is important to consult the manuals to ensure compatibility. It is also recommended to set up wireless access on both routers for optimal performance. However, this may cause connectivity issues and it is best to consult with your ISP for assistance. Alternatively, you can use a wireless repeater to extend the range of your network.
Jmiles338
Is it possible for me to plug a wireless router into my current wireless router via a cat-5 cable? I would like to do this to get a stronger connection in certain parts of the house. (i have charter, if this helps) All help would be much appreciated

Computer science news on Phys.org
Yes, probably -- many routers can also be used as access points. You'll have to read the manuals to know for sure.

yes, here's a simple configuration
Your two routers
Router A & Router B
connect Router A's internet port to your high speed modem
connect port 1 from Router A to the internet port on Router B
Setup Wireless access on both routers and you are done.

This is not the most optimal configuration and in some cases having a network within a network may cause connectivity issues which most ISP's won't deal with because they will simply tell you unplug one router. So if you run into trouble, you're kinda on your own.

Some routers actually have the option to work as a WiFi access point only (no DHCP) which would be preferable. You can also get a Wireless repeater which can extend the range of your wireless network.

1. How do I connect two wireless routers with Charter?

To connect two wireless routers with Charter, start by connecting the first router to the modem provided by Charter. Then, connect an Ethernet cable from one of the LAN ports on the first router to the WAN port on the second router. Finally, configure the second router to be an access point by disabling DHCP and setting a static IP address. This will allow both routers to work together and provide a larger wireless coverage area.

2. Do I need any additional equipment to connect two wireless routers with Charter?

No, you do not need any additional equipment to connect two wireless routers with Charter. The only equipment needed is the two routers and an Ethernet cable to connect them together.

3. Can I use any type of wireless router to connect with Charter?

Yes, you can use any type of wireless router to connect with Charter. However, it is recommended to use routers that support the same wireless standard (such as 802.11ac) for optimal performance.

4. Will connecting two wireless routers with Charter affect my internet speed?

Yes, connecting two wireless routers with Charter can potentially affect your internet speed. This is because the data will have to travel through both routers, which can cause a slight decrease in speed. However, if configured properly, the impact on speed should be minimal.

5. Is there a limit to how many wireless routers I can connect with Charter?

There is no limit to the number of wireless routers you can connect with Charter. However, keep in mind that each additional router may decrease your internet speed and it is recommended to limit the number of routers to two or three for optimal performance.