Should I Wait for the Next Generation GPUs to Rebuild My Computer?

• Thread starter Kutt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nvidia
In summary, based on what is currently known, it seems that waiting until the next-generation of graphics cards from AMD/Nvidia are released would be the most cost effective option.
Kutt
Should I wait until the next-generation of graphics cards from AMD/Nvidia are released to rebuild my computer?

Also, the Haswell processors are right around the corner. It just seems silly to get an Ivy Bridge and Nvidia Kepler PC when the next-gen hardware is just months away.

Based on what I've read, the GTX 7xx and HD 8xxx are highly revised and improved versions of the current micro-architecture and we won't see the Nvidia Maxwell and Radeon "?" architectures until sometime late in 2014.

Right now, I already have the skeleton for my new build, which includes the mid-tower case, the power supply (850W), a 1TB 7200RPM performance hard drive, the blu-ray disk drive, windows 8 professional , and Norton 2013 anti-virus.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Is what you're building sufficient to your gaming needs? If so then go ahead and build it now. If not then wait.

This kind of thinking is known as FUD for Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt which tech companies play up to delay people from buying a competitors product.

The way you should think is that once every 3 (for businesses) to 5 (for personal use) years you can upgrade to be cost effective. For a business then you would do a managed upgrade of a 1/3 of your machines every year.

jedishrfu said:
Is what you're building sufficient to your gaming needs? If so then go ahead and build it now. If not then wait.

This kind of thinking is known as FUD for Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt which tech companies play up to delay people from buying a competitors product.

The way you should think is that once every 3 (for businesses) to 5 (for personal use) years you can upgrade to be cost effective. For a business then you would do a managed upgrade of a 1/3 of your machines every year.

Are they releasing a refresh of the GTX 6xx and HD 7xxx series? Or basically an improved and revised version of the current micro-architecture, much like the GTX 480 > GTX 580?

I cannot make a recommendation about personal computer purchases. However, I can provide some information that may help you make a decision.

It is true that the next generation of graphics cards from AMD and Nvidia are expected to be released in the near future. These new cards are expected to have improved performance and features compared to the current models. However, it is important to consider your specific needs and budget when deciding whether to wait for these new GPUs.

If you are in need of a new computer immediately and the current Ivy Bridge and Nvidia Kepler processors meet your needs and budget, then it may not be necessary to wait for the next generation. However, if you are looking for the latest and most advanced technology, then it may be worth waiting for the next generation.

It is also important to keep in mind that technology is constantly evolving and there will always be something new on the horizon. Even if you wait for the next generation, there will likely be another new release in the future.

Additionally, the release dates for the Nvidia Maxwell and Radeon "?" architectures are still uncertain, and it is possible that they may be delayed. It is important to carefully research and consider all available information before making a decision.

Ultimately, the decision to wait for the next generation of GPUs or to purchase current models is a personal one and should be based on your individual needs and preferences.

1. When will the next generation GPUs be released?

The release date for the next generation GPUs varies depending on the manufacturer, but they are typically released every 1-2 years. As of now, there is no official release date for the next gen GPUs, but rumors suggest they may be released in late 2021 or early 2022.

2. What improvements can we expect from the next gen GPUs?

The next gen GPUs are expected to have significant improvements in performance, power efficiency, and ray tracing capabilities. They are also likely to have higher memory capacities and faster memory speeds.

3. Will the next gen GPUs be compatible with current motherboards?

Most likely, yes. As long as your motherboard has a compatible PCIe slot, it should be able to support the next gen GPUs. However, it's always best to double check compatibility before making a purchase.

4. How much will the next gen GPUs cost?

The price of the next gen GPUs will vary depending on the manufacturer and model, but they are expected to be more expensive than the current generation. The exact price is not known at this time, but it's safe to assume they will be in a higher price range.

5. Should I wait for the next gen GPUs or buy the current generation?

It ultimately depends on your specific needs and budget. If you need a new GPU immediately and the current generation meets your requirements, then there is no need to wait. However, if you are looking for the latest and greatest technology and are willing to wait, then it may be worth waiting for the next gen GPUs.