Engineering: Career Guidance and What to Expect

In summary, being an engineer involves working for specific companies and performing calculations and other tasks in an office setting. Designing things may not be a major part of the job, especially for entry-level engineers. It is a more theoretical field and not necessarily hands-on.
Dough
I was just wondering what does engineering entail. What will i know how to do when i finish a university course in engineering of any sort. With a job as an engineer what would i do?, produce things based on a schematico ro somethign of the sort provided?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
i'm not an engineer, but here is what I heard.

being an engineer, you will work for certain companies. I.E, EE work at electric company, telephone company, etc etc,

you will be the inside person, doing calculations and things like that. It is mainly an office job, and you will have meetings regularly.

As for designing things, I think those are for the more experience people. At first, you will just do what they tell you to do, such as calculations and things.

a lot of people misunderstand, and say that since they like to build computers, then they will be a computer engineering major. that doesn't happen that much. If you want to get your hands dirty, that is not it. engineers do more theoritical things.

that is what i think..no expeirience

for your question! Engineering is a vast field that encompasses a wide range of disciplines such as mechanical, electrical, civil, and chemical engineering. As an engineer, you will be responsible for applying scientific and mathematical principles to design, develop, and maintain various systems, structures, and processes.

In university, you will learn the fundamental principles and theories of your chosen engineering discipline, as well as gain hands-on experience through laboratory work and design projects. You will also develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills that are essential in the engineering field.

Once you graduate, you can pursue a career in various industries such as manufacturing, construction, aerospace, and technology. As an engineer, your job will involve using your knowledge and skills to design, build, and test various products, structures, and systems. This could include creating blueprints, conducting experiments, analyzing data, and collaborating with other professionals.

The specific tasks and responsibilities of an engineer will vary depending on their specialization and job role. Some engineers may focus on research and development, while others may be involved in project management or quality control. Regardless of the specific role, engineers play a crucial role in bringing innovative ideas to life and improving our world through technology and design.

I hope this provides some insight into what you can expect from a career in engineering. It is a challenging yet rewarding field that offers endless opportunities for growth and impact. I encourage you to explore different engineering disciplines and talk to professionals in the field to gain a better understanding of what interests you the most. Best of luck in your future endeavors!

1. What is engineering?

Engineering is the branch of science and technology that deals with the design, construction, and use of machines, structures, and systems. It involves applying mathematical and scientific principles to solve practical problems and improve the world around us.

2. What types of engineering careers are available?

There are many different types of engineering careers, including mechanical, electrical, civil, chemical, computer, and environmental engineering. Each type focuses on specific areas of technology and requires different skills and knowledge.

3. What skills are necessary for a successful engineering career?

Some important skills for a successful engineering career include analytical thinking, problem-solving, creativity, attention to detail, and teamwork. Communication skills are also essential, as engineers often work in teams and need to effectively communicate complex ideas to others.

4. What education and training is required for a career in engineering?

Most engineering careers require at least a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field. Some positions, such as research or teaching roles, may require a master's or doctoral degree. Engineers also need to stay updated on new technologies and developments in their field through continuing education and professional development.

5. What can I expect in terms of job opportunities and salary as an engineer?

There is a high demand for engineers in various industries, and job opportunities are expected to continue to grow in the coming years. Salaries for engineers can vary greatly depending on the type of engineering, industry, and location, but overall, engineers tend to earn above-average salaries. The level of experience and education also play a role in determining salary.