20 Questions: An Intelligence-Testing Game of Yes/No Questions

• Thread starter I_am_learning
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game
In summary, the Answerer thought of an object, and other players took turns to ask Yes/No questions to him. If they figure it out with less than 20 questions, the Askers win, otherwise the Answerer wins.
I_am_learning
I recently learned about this old game, 20 Questions. In this game, one of the players, the Answerer, thinks of an object, a common noun, and other players take turns to ask Yes/No question to him. Like, Is it less than 2kg ? , Does it run on electricity, Is it worth over 1000$? etc. If they figure it out with less than 20 questions, the Askers win, otherwise the Answerer wins. The person who finally figures it out got to be the next Answerer.
I tried playing this game with my brother (I asked all 20 questions) but found it incredibly hard to come-up with good questions. It was also because I needed to keep track of all my questions and answer in my head.

Why don't people play this intelligence demanding game here? This game suits PF :) .

Physics news on Phys.org
I know this game! the only difference is you only have three questions to ask instead of twenty. :biggrin:

Why don't you start the game, I_am_learning? :smile:

Likes 1 person
OMG, How would one find out by asking only 3 questions? I am not able to, even by asking 30 questions. That's why I didn't want to start (and play) the game myself (I am too poor). I just wanted to see intelligent folks play it. :).

Ok, I can do the easier task. I am the Answerer. I have thought of an object. You can now start asking questions. Go on. :)

Is it man made?

Office_Shredder said:
Is it man made?

Yes.

There's a small handheld "toy" called "20Q" (a stronger version of the software is online at www.20q.com) that plays this game remarkably well. My nephew played it while I observed him, and by the time 20Q asked him if it was "green and wrinkly," both the game and I knew he was thinking of a booger. Adorable kid ...

To stay on topic, is it smaller than a microwave oven?

Traz 0: No.

Is it less than 10 kg?

La_Simo said:
Is it less than 10 kg?
Nope.

a T.V ?

krash661 said:
a T.V ?
No. But this is not how you play. You need to keep narrowing the field, not make wild guesses.

I_am_learning said:
No. But this is not how you play. You need to keep narrowing the field, not make wild guesses.

i did narrow the field,
and it wasn't a wild guess, i guess from the existing questions.

Is it used in the home?

Tarz 0: No.

Is it smaller than a house?

Yes.

Is it used in industry?

Nope

Is it used in transportation?

Yes.

Is it used solely for transporting people?

KC_Smallz said:
Is it used solely for transporting people?

OK, we might have picked a better midpoint for our binary search lol.

Traz 0 said:
OK, we might have picked a better midpoint for our binary search lol.

This determines if it is used to transport goods or not. It's actually helpful, and we still have plenty of questions.

KC_Smallz said:
This determines if it is used to transport goods or not. It's actually helpful, and we still have plenty of questions.

I predict that it transports both, and that the ultimate answer is, something very close to a car. Or a bicycle. Or a scooter. I had a Strategy, damn you! lol

Is it a land transport

Traz 0 said:
I predict that it transports both, and that the ultimate answer is, something very close to a car. Or a bicycle. Or a scooter. I had a Strategy, damn you! lol

I suppose if he were tricky he could say yes to either way I worded the question. But that wasn't what I was getting at.

Enigman said:
Is it a land transport

^^Better question than mine.

Enigman said:
Is it a land transport

I like this one too. Are we agreed this is our question?

Traz 0 said:
I like this one too. Are we agreed this is our question?

Yup.

KC_Smallz said:

I thought we were running low on questions, but, if we don't count "are you a TV," we're only at 7. And, should we REALLY count "are you a TV?"

Traz 0 said:
I thought we were running low on questions, but, if we don't count "are you a TV," we're only at 7. And, should we REALLY count "are you a TV?"

I suppose it would be fair.

KC_Smallz said:
I suppose it would be fair.

Then, 8.

Enigman said:
Is it a land transport

Yes.

Is it black?

:biggrin:

Traz 0 said:

(Is a bicycle less than 10 kg? I'm sure I have seen lighter ones...) well here are questions I will leave you to choose from them:
Does it have more than 4 wheels? Excluding spares.
Is it curiosity the Mars rover? Perhaps it would be better to ask if it is common: we could just eliminate bat mobile, tanks, S.W.O.R.D.S and horse carraiges. Sorry poor joke.