Calculating & Drawing Feynman Diagrams for $\mathscr{L}$

In summary, to calculate <\phi(x_1)\phi(x_2)\phi(x_3)> and <\phi(x_1)\phi(x_2)\phi(x_3)>_{c}, we use the equations <\phi(x_1)\phi(x_2)\phi(x_3)> = \frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_1)}\frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_2)}\frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_3)}Z[J]|_{J=0} and <\phi(x_1)\phi(x_2)\phi(x_3)>_{c} = \frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_1)}\frac{\delta}{\delta
PhysicsGente

Homework Statement

I need to calculate [itex]<\phi(x_1)\phi(x_2)\phi(x_3)>[/itex] and [itex]<\phi(x_1)\phi(x_2)\phi(x_3)>_{c}[/itex] and then draw Feynman diagrams when [itex]\mathscr{L} = -\left(\left(\partial_{\mu}\phi\right)^{2} + m^{2}\phi^{2}\right) - g\phi^{3}[/itex] through first order in [itex]g[/itex].

Homework Equations

[itex]<\phi(x_1)\phi(x_2)\phi(x_3)> = \frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_1)}\frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_2)}\frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_3)}Z[J]|_{J=0}[/itex]

[itex]<\phi(x_1)\phi(x_2)\phi(x_3)>_{c} = \frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_1)}\frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_2)}\frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_3)}\ln{(Z[J])}|_{J=0}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I find terms of the form [itex]<\phi(x_1)><\phi(x_2)\phi(x_3)>[/itex] and I'm not sure how to multiply the correlation functions. Any hints on how to do that? Thanks.

I should perhaps say that I know how the diagrams look for [itex]<\phi(x_1)>[/itex] and [itex]<\phi(x_2)\phi(x_3)>[/itex] individually but don't know how to multiply them (or what it means to do that).

ANSWER: You put them together (in one diagram) of course! How silly of me D:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
To multiply correlation functions, you just add the diagrams together. For example, if you have two diagrams, one representing <\phi(x_1)> and another one representing <\phi(x_2)\phi(x_3)>, then you can just add them together to get <\phi(x_1)\phi(x_2)\phi(x_3)>. This can be done by connecting the external points of the two diagrams together.

1. How do I calculate Feynman diagrams for a given Lagrangian?

To calculate Feynman diagrams for a given Lagrangian, you will need to follow a few steps. First, identify the different fields and their corresponding interactions in the Lagrangian. Then, assign momentum and spin labels to each field. Next, use the Feynman rules to determine the amplitude for each diagram. Finally, use Feynman's path integral formula to calculate the probability amplitude for each diagram.

2. What is the purpose of drawing Feynman diagrams?

Feynman diagrams provide a graphical representation of particle interactions in quantum field theory. They are a powerful tool for visualizing and calculating the probability amplitudes of different particle processes. Drawing Feynman diagrams helps to simplify complex calculations and allows for a better understanding of the underlying physics.

3. How do I determine the type of interaction represented by a Feynman diagram?

The type of interaction represented by a Feynman diagram can be determined by examining the vertices and the incoming and outgoing particles. Each vertex corresponds to an interaction term in the Lagrangian, which is associated with a specific type of interaction. The incoming and outgoing particles also provide clues about the type of interaction, as different particles have different interactions according to the Standard Model.

4. Can Feynman diagrams be used to calculate the probability of all particle interactions?

No, Feynman diagrams can only be used to calculate the probability amplitudes of interactions involving fundamental particles, such as quarks, leptons, and gauge bosons. They cannot be used to calculate the probability of interactions involving composite particles, such as protons or neutrons.

5. Are there any limitations to using Feynman diagrams for calculating particle interactions?

While Feynman diagrams are a powerful tool for calculating particle interactions, they have some limitations. They do not account for all possible interactions, such as those involving gravity, and they do not provide information about the exact location or time of an interaction. Additionally, Feynman diagrams become more complex and difficult to calculate as the number of particles involved in an interaction increases.