Investigating Possible Impurities on RBS Spectra of a Rhodium-Silicon System

In summary, The conversation discusses the analysis of a sample that is supposed to have medium thickness Rhodium on top of an infinite silicon wafer through RBS (Rutherford Backscattering Spectroscopy). However, the experimental spectrum shows the presence of another element or possibly two, which is confusing as it appears as narrow peaks close to each other. The speaker notes that if the wafer was not pure, there would be steps instead of peaks. They also ask about how to determine the identity and position of these elements and mention the possibility of a non-pure Rhodium sample. The conversation also discusses the possibility of the peaks being caused by background radiation, but this cannot be proven through simulation. The speaker also mentions the possibility of a faulty
atha
I was given a sample, that it is suppossed to be a medium thickness Rhodium on top of an infinite silicon waffer. The experimental RBS spectrum along with the simulation looks like that

LUH6djm.png

Apparently, there is another element(or maybe 2) that appear on the experimental spectrum.

I am relatively new to RBS, so I find rather confusing to see two narrow peaks, so close to each other on the substrate part of the spectrum.

If the waffer wasn't pure, I would expect some steps, rather than peaks. The way I see it, it's an indication of a possible thin and light layer of unknown elements. How to specify which elements could that be?

Is there also a way to find out if it is really another layer and its position?

On a second look, it seems that the real spectrum has less events that the simulated, which could be an indication of a non pure Rhodium sample. The question is, which element(s) is responsible for the possible impurity?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you see the same peaks without your sample?
Could that be background from some radioactive material?

mfb said:
Do you see the same peaks without your sample?

Unfortunately, all I've got is the attached experimental data;nothing else...

mfb said:
Could that be background from some radioactive material?

It's a possible scenario, but I doubt if I can prove it with the simulation.

One thaught, was that the vacuum wasn't well built, so I thought to add a layer of oxygen and nitrus. Unfortunately I couldn't adapt this scenarion to the simulation...

1. What is an RBS spectrum?

An RBS (Rutherford Backscattering Spectrometry) spectrum is a type of surface analysis technique that measures the backscattered particles from a sample when bombarded with a beam of ions. It provides information about the composition and depth of the sample's surface.

2. Why is it important to investigate possible impurities on RBS spectra of a rhodium-silicon system?

Investigating possible impurities on RBS spectra of a rhodium-silicon system is important because impurities can affect the accuracy and reliability of the results. These impurities can alter the composition and depth profiles of the sample, leading to incorrect conclusions about the sample's characteristics.

3. How are impurities typically identified in RBS spectra?

Impurities in RBS spectra are typically identified by comparing the measured spectrum to a standard or reference spectrum. Any discrepancies or additional peaks in the measured spectrum can indicate the presence of impurities.

4. What are some common sources of impurities in a rhodium-silicon system?

Common sources of impurities in a rhodium-silicon system include contamination from the sample preparation process, residual gases in the vacuum chamber, and impurities in the ion beam. Other sources could include previous exposure of the sample to different environments or handling procedures.

5. How can impurity levels in RBS spectra be reduced?

Impurity levels in RBS spectra can be reduced by ensuring proper sample preparation techniques, using clean equipment and vacuum chambers, and carefully controlling the ion beam parameters. It is also important to regularly monitor and calibrate the equipment to maintain accuracy and minimize impurities.