Can You Spot the Lie? - A Game of Truths and Deceptions

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game
In summary, you were shot by a drunk cop, you skied in the Bering Sea, and you were deported from Bulgaria.
lisab said:
I ran into a moose while racing one of my brothers down the driveway in the middle of the night.
On foot?

Physics news on Phys.org
zoobyshoe said:
On foot?

:rofl:

lisab said:
I severely burned my tongue drinking "free" coffee at Jiffy Lube, and it was never the same. I still love food, though!
That's sad. :(
lisab said:
And I just don't see the point of apps...does that make me a Luddite?
Nah, you fine. With so many free apps you'll probably never need to buy one in a lifetime.

1. My smell sense can identify family members and their branch.
2. Went home by foot on a rainy day from shcool, got all wet by splashed water from passing vehicles, got followed by a bee colony and finally got chased down a street by a cow.
3. Once forced my body to run for so long that a few minutes after I stopped running I puked and then fainted.
4. Fell highspeed down a cliff in a bycicle, hit a lemon three, got the thorns all over my skin, and got bitten by fire ants below that tree.

Lol! I sure hope it's #4, Psinter.

Nope. Original story here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=733176 7th post.

But I'm somewhat grateful to the lemon tree for if it hadn't stopped me, there was a high speed river waiting for me at the bottom of the cliff. Hihi, got lucky. Plus my grandma treated me and gave me cookies. :tongue:

Haha. Well, glad you're ok. :)

I think #2 is the lie.

Psinter said:
That's sad. :(

Nah, you fine. With so many free apps you'll probably never need to buy one in a lifetime.

1. My smell sense can identify family members and their branch.
2. Went home by foot on a rainy day from shcool, got all wet by splashed water from passing vehicles, got followed by a bee colony and finally got chased down a street by a cow.
3. Once forced my body to run for so long that a few minutes after I stopped running I puked and then fainted.
4. Fell highspeed down a cliff in a bycicle, hit a lemon three, got the thorns all over my skin, and got bitten by fire ants below that tree.
It really needs to be verifiable events, #1 doesn't qualify, well, actually several don't.

Evo said:
It really needs to be verifiable events...
What are you talking about?

zoobyshoe said:
What are you talking about?
Well I guess nothing said so far could be easily verified, bit it should be more than

My smell sense can identify family members and their branch.

It should be something unique and unusual.

But that's just me.

I can smell when an animal has less than 48 hours to live, never been wrong, freaks people out, and actually it can be verified, I've even told people here when I smelled death on my cat, for instance.

Just thinking that the facts should be more interesting.

There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact.

zoobyshoe said:
I think #2 is the lie.
Nope.

Hint: According to logic rules, a conjunction is making the whole statement false.

Evo said:
I can smell when an animal has less than 48 hours to live, never been wrong, freaks people out, and actually it can be verified, I've even told people here when I smelled death on my cat, for instance.
Not freaked out, I actually understand. We should join forces and do great things together with this power of smell. But I'll understand if you prefer to work alone.

Psinter said:
Nope.
Yes, I think #2 is a lie. Bees don't come out on rainy days.

zoobyshoe said:
Yes, I think #2 is a lie. Bees don't come out on rainy days.

Those did because me and my friend touched that brown thing where they hide on our way home. :biggrin:

I'm a little tired. :zzz: Let us finish this please. I'm about to spill the beans and give it to zoobyshoe.

I'm going to go with one because I have no idea what this means
Psinter said:
and their branch.

alpha3031 said:
I'm going to go with one because I have no idea what this means
Oh, sorry. By branch I meant whether they come from my mother's side or from my father's side. Each family branch has a different characteristic smell.

Everything but the correct one was guessed. Number 3 was the lie. That never happened. I thought it would sound too dramatic so it would be obvious it was a lie. But it appears I wasn't dramatic enough. :(

Well, first come, first served.

*Bump*

Psinter said:
Oh, sorry. By branch I meant whether they come from my mother's side or from my father's side. Each family branch has a different characteristic smell.

Everything but the correct one was guessed. Number 3 was the lie. That never happened. I thought it would sound too dramatic so it would be obvious it was a lie. But it appears I wasn't dramatic enough. :(

Well, first come, first served.

*Bump*

:rofl: I figured #3 was totally believable for someone who experienced #2 and #4!

1. I blew up an old car with explosives I made myself.
2. I refused to have sex with someone half the school wanted to bang.
3. I outran a city cop car and lost them in the haze of the traffic.
4. I have suffered 230V electrocutions for nearly a minute on a few occasions and nothing happened to me.

lendav_rott said:
4. I have suffered 230V electrocutions for nearly a minute on a few occasions and nothing happened to me. (my bolding)
Well, I'm sure something would have happened. :smile:. But anyway, I guess #4.

#4 is true - The first time was when I was 14, we had an electrical lawnmower, I was detangling the coord which was faulty, grabbed on to it while I had already inserted the coord in the plug and boom, I locked and fell on the grass, but I managed to pull the cable out of the socket somehow. Went to a doctor later on, they said as if nothing had happened, everything was normal.
The second time was when I was 17, during renovations I was drilling a wall (the power was out, but this line was separated somehow and ran through the neighbour's supply - USSR construction , don't ask) the drill's chassis was metalish so I was electrocuted again, it had been roughly 40 seconds (there was a large wall clock nearby) till another construction worker pushed me away. Later at the doctor, once again everything was fine, as if nothing had happened.

As for testing it, no thanks - it's not like it isn't uncomfortable, maybe I have greater resilience to this thing, some people test fuse boxes with their fingers and nothing happens to them :O

lendav_rott said:
As for testing it, no thanks - it's not like it isn't uncomfortable, maybe I have greater resilience to this thing, some people test fuse boxes with their fingers and nothing happens to them :O

I have suffered 230V twice myself, so I know it is NOT a nice experience. It's horrible. :biggrin:

I think #1 is the lie because, of the remaining choices, it seems most plausible.

#1 is true as well - I was a pyromaniac, I was 9 when I tested my "bomb" xD (I found a book which described making gunpowder and explosives - gave it a shot)

I'll guess that number 2 is the lie.

Strike three, you're out xD I am not interested in "ho"s, which she was, and still probably is, I don't know.

#3 is the lie, I tried to get away, I didn't speed or anything, but I didn't have insurance at the time, I was on the way to the registry center at the time to update my insurance, but the cop caught me, I was let off with a warning and they let me go to the registry :D

To clarify - it is an offense to drive without insurance (having insurance implies the car is deemed suitable for driving), they ask you for your drivers license and pop it through some kind of a creditcard readerish thing and it immediately says whether I have active insurance or not. If not, most likely a fine. Worst case scenario your car will be towed away and you lose your license.

Last edited:
I'll go with #2. You got to be kidding, right? :smile:

#2 is true, not kidding, I didn't have gf at the time either and, yes, I am straight :D - simply wasn't interested in her or what she had to offer. She's a manipulator, no matter how good she is in bed, it's not worth the potential trouble with her later ^^

Can someone say the following in a more straight forward wording: 'it's not like it isn't uncomfortable'.
Thanks. :grumpy:

gad said:
can someone say the following in a more straight forward wording: 'it's not like it isn't uncomfortable'.
I'm going to guess this is the lie, due to a lack of alternate choices.

Lol Zshoe!

Gad said:
Lol Zshoe!

It's not like it was a comfortable choice.

zoobyshoe said:
That will do it. I was thinking about interpretative dance (electrocution 101), but never mind.

Gad said:
Can someone say the following in a more straight forward wording: 'it's not like it isn't uncomfortable'.

means I do feel the electricity, but it's not excrutiating, yet it's not pleasant either.

In general, it's a double negation so it's confirmation, but the difference is that double negation doesn't stress the "magnitude" of the subject. Eg I could say "It is uncomfortable" - this immediately says that it's not pleasant and gives reason to imply further that it may be hurting or ..excrutiating, if you will. However, if I say "it's not like it isn't uncomfortable" - it kind of says that something is uncomfortable, but it doesn't emphasize the "uncomfortable".

zoobyshoe said:
ho ho, very funny :D

So lendav_rott fooled us all :biggrin:!

The next turn is open to anyone. C'mon, if you've been lurking, now's the perfect time to join in!

1. I sleep, at most, 8 hours a night.
2. I can park a car in a sidebox by sliding in with the handbrake.
3. I can sing high notes as high as a soprano singer.
4. I like to eat at McDonald's 3 or more times a week.

<h2>1. What is "Can You Spot the Lie?"</h2><p>"Can You Spot the Lie?" is a game that challenges players to identify which statements are true and which are false. It is designed to test critical thinking skills and promote discussions about the concept of truth.</p><h2>2. How do you play "Can You Spot the Lie?"</h2><p>The game is played by one player reading out three statements, two of which are true and one of which is false. The other players then have to guess which statement is the lie. Points are awarded for correctly identifying the lie and for successfully fooling other players with a false statement.</p><h2>3. What is the purpose of "Can You Spot the Lie?"</h2><p>The game aims to encourage players to question information and think critically about what is true and what is false. It can also be used as a fun and engaging way to spark conversations about the nature of truth and deception.</p><h2>4. Is "Can You Spot the Lie?" suitable for all ages?</h2><p>Yes, the game can be played by people of all ages. However, younger children may require some guidance and explanation of the concept of truth and deception.</p><h2>5. Can "Can You Spot the Lie?" be played with a large group of people?</h2><p>Yes, the game can be played with a large group of people. The more players there are, the more challenging and fun the game becomes. It is a great activity for parties, team-building events, or classroom settings.</p>

1. What is "Can You Spot the Lie?"

"Can You Spot the Lie?" is a game that challenges players to identify which statements are true and which are false. It is designed to test critical thinking skills and promote discussions about the concept of truth.

2. How do you play "Can You Spot the Lie?"

The game is played by one player reading out three statements, two of which are true and one of which is false. The other players then have to guess which statement is the lie. Points are awarded for correctly identifying the lie and for successfully fooling other players with a false statement.

3. What is the purpose of "Can You Spot the Lie?"

The game aims to encourage players to question information and think critically about what is true and what is false. It can also be used as a fun and engaging way to spark conversations about the nature of truth and deception.

4. Is "Can You Spot the Lie?" suitable for all ages?

Yes, the game can be played by people of all ages. However, younger children may require some guidance and explanation of the concept of truth and deception.

5. Can "Can You Spot the Lie?" be played with a large group of people?

Yes, the game can be played with a large group of people. The more players there are, the more challenging and fun the game becomes. It is a great activity for parties, team-building events, or classroom settings.