PF PHOTO CONTEST - Halloween (10/25-11/1)

In summary: And I am surprised no one has anything to say about Zapper's Halloween picture!In summary, the conversation revolved around Halloween and the rules for a photo contest with a Halloween theme. Contestants were reminded to only submit photos they have taken and to resize their pictures appropriately. The deadline for submissions was extended to November 1st. Some participants shared their plans and ideas for Halloween pictures, while others posted their submissions, including a picture of a cat playing with a hat.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Halloween!

Since Halloween is coming up next week, our theme this time will be on this festivities. All pictures with a clear reference to Halloween as the main subject of the picture qualify.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a grey area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. But other than that, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
Aww...geee...now I can't reuse that picture from the bad picture competition. :rofl: I'll have to find something to photograph since those are the only Halloween photos I have that don't show people whose faces I don't have permission to post (most are from Halloween parties...people should wear masks with their costumes!) I don't have any Halloween decorations up this year...I love decorating for Halloween, but the Halloween-colored cat is enough and I'm sure she'd spend all day ripping down any decorations I put up.

Moonbear said:
Aww...geee...now I can't reuse that picture from the bad picture competition. :rofl: I'll have to find something to photograph since those are the only Halloween photos I have that don't show people whose faces I don't have permission to post (most are from Halloween parties...people should wear masks with their costumes!) I don't have any Halloween decorations up this year...I love decorating for Halloween, but the Halloween-colored cat is enough and I'm sure she'd spend all day ripping down any decorations I put up.

Stick Ember in one of those plastic pumpkins and take her picture!:biggrin:

larkspur said:
Stick Ember in one of those plastic pumpkins and take her picture!:biggrin:
Oh, that would be so cute! Now I'm going to have to get one of those plastic pumpkins, and...hmm...do you think tape on her feet will keep her in long enough to take the picture? :biggrin:

Too bad my parents' dog isn't getting along with her very well (they both eye each other suspiciously from across the room, until Ember hisses and growls)...their dog has matching colors...different pattern, but very similar shades of black, white and orange in her coat. It would have made an adorable picture to have them side-by-side if they would tolerate each other long enough.

Well, I'll have my camera on Halloween night, and maybe I'll see something and post it!

Ummmm.

Since Halloween is the 31st, can we extend the contest to November 1st? It's going to be hard to take a "halloween picture" any earlier, then we all got to have a moment to download, and choose and upload and post etc.

Chi Meson said:
Ummmm.

Since Halloween is the 31st, can we extend the contest to November 1st? It's going to be hard to take a "halloween picture" any earlier, then we all got to have a moment to download, and choose and upload and post etc.
:uhh: And some folks might need a little time to sober up before they are safe to operate a mouse to upload those photos. :biggrin:

Chi Meson said:
Ummmm.

Sure, I'll extend the deadline till end of Nov. 1st.

Zz.

Skinny black pants are back!

http://home.earthlink.net/~parvey/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/danicat.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
hey, she is looking smart...:rofl:

There'd better be a boat-load of pictures tomorrow, since that will be the last day to submit a picture for this contest.

Zz.

This is not what I had in mind for this pic, but here is my daughter in costume

http://home.comcast.net/~Integral50/deadridinghood.JPG

Okay, I couldn't get a plastic pumpkin, but I did get Ember playing with my hat. (For some odd reason, she just refused to wear it, and she still won't sit still for the broom rides either.) :biggrin:

http://img275.imageshack.us/img275/7120/emberhalloweenpy1.jpg

(The hardest part of taking pictures of her is that she wants to play with the camera every time I have it out!)

Moonbear said:
Okay, I couldn't get a plastic pumpkin, but I did get Ember playing with my hat. (For some odd reason, she just refused to wear it, and she still won't sit still for the broom rides either.) :biggrin:

(The hardest part of taking pictures of her is that she wants to play with the camera every time I have it out!)
She is a beautiful cat!

OK, here's mine. I just got back from the Halloween Parade in our neighborhood, and these are two of the ghoulies that made an appearence.

IMG_5772.jpg

Zz.

You americans are weird :rofl:

Blame the Celtics, not us.

In that last picture I think there is something wrong with that guy in the middle... oh I see! He obviously hasn't brushed his teeth for a while.

i just don't see the point in dressing up if you can't go around and hit people :rofl:

Last edited:
Moonbear said:

Your little girl is getting big! And so pretty!

Volumunox said:
i just don't see the point in dressing up if you can't go around and hit people :rofl:

Are you entering a picture for this contest? If you are, pick ONE. If not, then you shouldn't be posting a picture in this thread (read the rules at the beginning of this thread).

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Are you entering a picture for this contest? If you are, pick ONE. If not, then you shouldn't be posting a picture in this thread (read the rules at the beginning of this thread).

Zz.

Sorry.. was just demonstrating >.<

i deleted the 's

Mk said:
Blame the Celtics, not us.
Halloween has nothing to do with Boston's Basketball team!

Oh, did you mean the Celts? :shrewd, sarcastic smiley:

Crud. None of my pictures are even half-decent.

Last edited:
A caveat here; I didn't take this picture, a friend took it of W and I at the bar. Just killing two birds here, but I don't know if she's eligible because of not being a member.

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/2949/dscf0082iz5.jpg

Danger said:
A caveat here; I didn't take this picture, a friend took it of W and I at the bar. Just killing two birds here, but I don't know if she's eligible because of not being a member.

It's not. Only a member can post the picture, and it is also after our contest deadline.

I'm going to delete the picture IMG link so that I don't get confused when I set up the voting thread. Again, as a reminder to everyone, please post ONLY eligible pictures on the contest thread. It will make my life a lot easier when I set up the voting threads.

Zz.

Last edited:
Sorry about the deadline; it was 2 in the morning here, so I figured that it was still Wednesday somewhere. :redface:
I'm just going to repost the links in the Members Photo thread.

1. What is the theme of the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Halloween?

The theme of this photo contest is Halloween. We are looking for creative and spooky photos that capture the essence of this holiday.

2. How long does the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Halloween run for?

The contest runs from October 25th to November 1st. All entries must be submitted within this time frame to be considered.

3. Who can participate in the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Halloween?

Anyone can participate in this photo contest, as long as they follow the submission guidelines and have a valid Instagram account. This contest is open to both amateur and professional photographers.

4. How many photos can I submit for the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Halloween?

You are allowed to submit one photo per day for a total of seven photos throughout the duration of the contest. However, each photo must be unique and not previously submitted.

5. How will the winners of the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Halloween be selected?

The winners will be selected by a panel of judges based on creativity, originality, and adherence to the theme. The top three photos will be chosen as the winners and announced on November 5th.