Exploring the Formation of a Fossilized Rock

In summary, a friend found a small leaf fossil in a layered rock that appears to be sedimentary and has strong horizontal bonds but weaker vertical ones. The rock is hard and can only be split at certain places. The process of lithification and diagenesis may have caused the rock to form such rigid bonds. The weakest bonds are typically between bedding planes and the rock tends to break at an angle from the bedding. 'Sedimentary rock' on Wiki may provide more information about this process.
Jimmy Snyder
A friend and colleague found a fossil and brought it into show me. It is a small leaf in a rock. He asked me how the rock was formed, but I couldn't say as I know nothing of such things. The rock is layered. You can see the various layers by looking at the rock edgewise. In fact, the edge is so ragged that you can see fossils of leaves in several places. It looks like you could peel the layers of the rock. Indeed, the ragged edge shows that the bonds in one of the axes are weaker than those in the other two. I guess this is sedementary rock formed by layers of silt building up and then compressed into hardness. The rock is quite hard, not like compacted silt, but more like melted and recongealed silt.

My question is what could cause the silt to form such rigid bonds in the horizontal directions and such weak ones in the vertical direction? Or have I got the whole picture messed up?

Edit- Now that I think about it a little more, the bonds in the vertical direction are just as strong as the ones in the horizontal direction. The rock can only be split at certain places. Perhaps 50 per inch or so. It's as if the sedement collected and hardened before the next layer was deposited. But what could make it harden?

Last edited:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
You are correct. It is sedimentary rock - highly layered.

Wiki seems to have a pretty good description of the process.

DaveC426913 said:
You are correct.
It's a rare pleasure.

Which article should I look at?

Fossils are so cool, i have some of tiny sea creatures about 2mm, and i can still see patterns in the shells, to think they are millions of years old, i value them more than
most things.

jimmysnyder said:
A friend and colleague found a fossil and brought it into show me. It is a small leaf in a rock. He asked me how the rock was formed, but I couldn't say as I know nothing of such things. The rock is layered. You can see the various layers by looking at the rock edgewise. In fact, the edge is so ragged that you can see fossils of leaves in several places. It looks like you could peel the layers of the rock. Indeed, the ragged edge shows that the bonds in one of the axes are weaker than those in the other two. I guess this is sedementary rock formed by layers of silt building up and then compressed into hardness. The rock is quite hard, not like compacted silt, but more like melted and recongealed silt.

My question is what could cause the silt to form such rigid bonds in the horizontal directions and such weak ones in the vertical direction? Or have I got the whole picture messed up?

Edit- Now that I think about it a little more, the bonds in the vertical direction are just as strong as the ones in the horizontal direction. The rock can only be split at certain places. Perhaps 50 per inch or so. It's as if the sedement collected and hardened before the next layer was deposited. But what could make it harden?

Chances are, by your description, it's a siltstone. Check out lithification and diagenesis on wiki, although not sure if these pages are what Dave was referring to. Also, about bonding, the wekest bonds will in general be between bedding planes, which gives the rock a bulk strength which is weakest in the direction parallel to the bedding planes; you might also notice that it prefers to break at an angle (perhaps 60 degrees) from the bedding, check out cleavage.

jimmysnyder said:
It's a rare pleasure.

Which article should I look at?

'sedimentary rock' would be good

What is a fossilized rock?

A fossilized rock is a type of rock that contains the remains or imprints of once-living organisms. These organisms can be plants, animals, or even microorganisms. Fossilized rocks are formed through a process called fossilization, where the organic material of the organism is replaced by minerals, preserving its shape and structure.

How are fossilized rocks formed?

Fossilized rocks are formed through a process called fossilization. This process begins when an organism dies and its remains are quickly buried in sediment, such as mud or sand. Over time, the organic material of the organism decomposes and is replaced by minerals from the surrounding sediment, creating a fossilized rock.

What types of organisms can be found in fossilized rocks?

Fossilized rocks can contain the remains of a wide range of organisms, including plants, animals, and microorganisms. Some common examples of organisms found in fossilized rocks include dinosaur bones, plant fossils, and fossilized shells of marine animals.

How long does it take for a fossilized rock to form?

The process of fossilization can take a very long time, ranging from thousands to millions of years. The exact amount of time it takes for a fossilized rock to form depends on factors such as the type of organism and the environmental conditions present during the fossilization process.

Why are fossilized rocks important to scientists?

Fossilized rocks provide valuable evidence of past life on Earth, helping scientists to understand the evolution of different species and the history of our planet. They also provide insights into ancient environments and can help us to predict and understand future changes in our environment.