Ti-89 titanium convert numbers to fractions

In summary, there are a few different ways to get approximate answers when using a scientific calculator. One way is to change the mode to "Exact/approx" and press the diamond key before entering the calculation. Another way is to add a decimal place to the number. Both methods will give you decimal approximations instead of exact answers. However, using the diamond key may be faster and more convenient when dealing with numbers from previous calculations.
apples
is there any quick way to convert numbers to fractions then back to decimals, without changing the mode.

also if i type in log 54, it gives me log 54.
i don't get an answer
even if i put in
ln 32
it gives me ln 32, not an answer.

i've learned to input functional equations and make graphs etc..
but can't really do a lot what i could do with my previous scientific calculator quickly.
help is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Press the key just below "2ND" ( the green one ), then "ENTER"

On page 2 of the mode dialog box there is a mode called Exact/approx. If this is set to auto, you will get exact answers (as rational numbers) whenever possible. To get approximate answers (as decimals) you can press the diamond key, the "key just below 2nd," before entering to give an approximate answer. When you enter ln 32 you get ln 32 as an output because this is the exact answer. If you are looking for the decimal approximation, you need to use diamond. Note that if you set the mode to approx., you will always get decimal answers, which tends to be annoying. I recommend leaving it on auto for this reason.

thanks a lot

Another way to get an approximate answer is to add a decimal place!

In Auto mode:
ln(32) gives you 5 ln(2)
but ln(32.) gives you 3.46574

Same applies for log(54)

log(54) returns ln(54)/ln(10)
but log(54.) returns 1.73239

Last edited:
Good point, Mech_Engineer. However, many times I use numbers from previous calculations, so I would have to arrow over to the end of the value to place the decimal point, which is cumbersome. I find that the diamond key is faster.

What is the Ti-89 titanium calculator and what is its main function?

The Ti-89 titanium calculator is a scientific calculator developed by Texas Instruments. Its main function is to perform complex mathematical computations and graphing functions.

How do I convert decimal numbers to fractions using the Ti-89 titanium calculator?

To convert a decimal number to a fraction on the Ti-89 titanium calculator, follow these steps:

1. Enter the decimal number into the calculator.
  2. Press the "Math" button and select "Frac" from the menu.
  3. Press "Enter" to convert the number to a fraction.

Can the Ti-89 titanium calculator convert fractions to decimal numbers?

Yes, the Ti-89 titanium calculator can also convert fractions to decimal numbers. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Enter the fraction into the calculator.
  2. Press the "Math" button and select "Dec" from the menu.
  3. Press "Enter" to convert the fraction to a decimal number.

What is the accuracy of the Ti-89 titanium calculator when converting numbers to fractions?

The Ti-89 titanium calculator has a high level of accuracy when converting numbers to fractions. It can handle fractions with large denominators and can convert numbers to fractions with up to 14 digits accurately.

Are there any other functions on the Ti-89 titanium calculator that can be used for converting numbers to fractions?

Yes, the Ti-89 titanium calculator has several other functions that can be used for converting numbers to fractions, such as "Simplify", "Mixed", and "Exact". These functions can be accessed by pressing the "Math" button and scrolling through the options.