Forces : Man in a lift on a scaler

In summary, the man's weight will be 70 Newton on a static weighing scale, 10 Newton when the lift accelerates down at 10 ms-2, and again 10 Newton when it accelerates up at 10 ms-2.
davedays

Homework Statement

A man of mass 70 kg stands in a lift on a set of weighing scales. The scales are calibrated in Newtons. Assuming that g=10N kg -1
What weight will the scales register when the :

a) lift is static
b)lift accelerates down at 10 ms-2
c)lift accelerates up at 10 ms-2

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
F=ma
F= 70 x 0
F=70

b) accelerates down at 10ms -2

F=ma
F=70 /10
F=7

70-7=63

c) accelerates up at 10 ms -2

70 + 7 = 77

Is this correct ?

Thanks,
dave

Physics news on Phys.org
Can someone please help me ?

davedays said:
Is this correct ?
No, your answers are not correct. First identify all the forces acting on the man. (One of those forces will equal the scale reading.) Then apply ΣF = ma to each case.

Don't forget to give your answers in Newtons, not kg.

I don't understand you, sorry. Can you explain again please ?

Is F=ma all I need here ?

I am not sure, however I really want to solve it :)

davedays said:
I don't understand you, sorry. Can you explain again please ?
What forces act on the man? (Hint: Two forces act on him.) What direction do they act?

Is F=ma all I need here ?
Yes. Realize that F stands for the net force.

So I think it would be gravity acting down and also the normal force pushing him up, correct ?

Knowing that in the first case I subtract and in the second case I add the forces right ?

However I still do not get the connecting between 'g' and the question. :(

davedays said:
So I think it would be gravity acting down and also the normal force pushing him up, correct ?
Exactly. And realize that the normal force is what the scale measures.

Knowing that in the first case I subtract and in the second case I add the forces right ?
Just use up as + and down as -. Using that convention, ΣF = N - W.

However I still do not get the connecting between 'g' and the question.
You are given the mass but need the weight (to apply F=ma). That's where 'g' comes in.

Ill try do a then :

if the GF is pushing him down and NF is pushing him up then his weight is 70N cause the gravity force is greater by 70 N

Second one:
If the lift is going down then the gravity force must he smaller by 10 :

70-10 = 60 N

Third one :

vice versa

70+10=80 N

Am I thinking correct at this time ?

By the way I really appreciate your help and patience here.

davedays said:
Ill try do a then :

if the GF is pushing him down and NF is pushing him up then his weight is 70N cause the gravity force is greater by 70 N
First things first: If the man's mass is 70 kg, what is the GF on him? (The gravitational force is the same in all three cases, as gravity isn't changing.)

it must be zero cause he's not going up, right ?

The man is 70 kg, and there's a gravitational force acting down on him, with this in mind F=m(man)*a(?) even though the elevator isn't accelerating what other acceleration is there?
Keep in mind gravity is in m/s^2.

davedays said:
it must be zero cause he's not going up, right ?
No. I asked about the gravitational force acting on the man. That's certainly not zero! How do you compute the force of gravity? (That's where you use 'g'.)

What is a scaler?

A scaler is a quantity that has only magnitude and no direction. Examples of scalers include temperature, mass, and time.

What are forces?

Forces are interactions between objects that cause a change in their motion. They can be described by their magnitude, direction, and point of application.

How does a man in a lift experience forces?

A man in a lift experiences two main forces: the force of gravity pulling him towards the ground and the normal force from the lift pushing him upwards. If the lift is accelerating, there may also be a force from the lift's motion.

What is the net force on a man in a lift?

The net force on a man in a lift is the vector sum of all the forces acting on him. If the lift is stationary or moving at a constant velocity, the net force will be zero.

How does the weight of the man in a lift change on a scalar?

The weight of the man in a lift will not change on a scalar because weight is a force and therefore has both magnitude and direction. However, the man's mass may be represented as a scaler and will not change, regardless of his location in the lift.