In a typical lightning strike, 2.5 C flows from cloud to ground in 0.20 ms.

In summary, the question asks for the current during a typical lightning strike where 2.5 C of charge flows in 0.20 ms. The correct calculation is 2.5 C/0.0002 s = 12500 A, but the answer should be given with less precision, so the correct answer is 13,000 A. This may be due to rounding errors or using too many significant figures.
csimon1

Homework Statement

In a typical lightning strike, 2.5 c flows from cloud to ground in 0.20 ms. What is the current during the strike?

Homework Equations

I = Q/t

The Attempt at a Solution

The reason I keep getting this wrong is because it says I am rounding something off wrong. I am very confused. What I keep getting is 2.5 C/0.0002 s = 12500 A. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
csimon1 said:

Homework Statement

In a typical lightning strike, 2.5 c flows from cloud to ground in 0.20 ms. What is the current during the strike?

Homework Equations

I = Q/t

The Attempt at a Solution

The reason I keep getting this wrong is because it says I am rounding something off wrong. I am very confused. What I keep getting is 2.5 C/0.0002 s = 12500 A. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

It looks correct to me; although if you are given data with accuracy of one significant figure, then you can't justify all the accuracy of your answer. Does the question want to you to give the answer with an appropriate precision?

It wants me to give the answer in A. This is the feedback I got:
12500 or 1.25×10e4

Not quite. Check through your calculations; you may have made a rounding error or used the wrong number of significant figures.

csimon1 said:
12500 or 1.25×10e4

Not quite. Check through your calculations; you may have made a rounding error or used the wrong number of significant figures.

Is this online?

yes it's using mastering physics.

csimon1 said:
12500 or 1.25×10e4

Well double check your significant figures. (i.e. 2.5 C is only 2 significant digits)

im sorry, i don't really understand what you mean? 2.5 C was given to me in the problem. I don't know what else to use.

csimon1 said:
yes it's using mastering physics.

Looks interesting. This is a product by Pearson. It is possible that there might be a glitch with the problem, but try giving the answer to a more appropriate number of figures accuracy, and see if that is accepted. You've obtained the answer 12500. But this has three figures of accuracy. What would be that value, with less precision?

csimon1 said:
im sorry, i don't really understand what you mean? 2.5 C was given to me in the problem. I don't know what else to use.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Significant_figures:
spurious digits introduced, for example, by calculations carried out to greater accuracy than that of the original data, or measurements reported to a greater precision than the equipment supports.

In this case you only have 2 relevant digits. You would have to round to 13,000 since:
leading and trailing zeros where they serve merely as placeholders to indicate the scale of the number.

Last edited by a moderator:
ohh thank you very much i would have never gotten it otherwise!

1. How is the amount of current determined in a typical lightning strike?

The amount of current in a lightning strike is determined by measuring the electric field strength and the distance between the cloud and the ground. The higher the electric field and the closer the distance, the greater the amount of current.

2. How fast does the current flow in a typical lightning strike?

The current in a typical lightning strike flows very quickly, at a rate of about 2.5 C in just 0.20 milliseconds. This is equivalent to a current of 12.5 million amps.

3. What factors affect the flow of current in a lightning strike?

The flow of current in a lightning strike is affected by various factors such as the strength of the electric field, the distance between the cloud and the ground, the conductivity of the air, and the resistance of the objects in the path of the lightning.

4. How does the flow of current in a lightning strike impact the surrounding environment?

The flow of current in a lightning strike can cause damage to objects in its path, such as trees, buildings, and electrical systems. It can also create a loud thunderclap and produce heat, which can cause fires.

5. Can the flow of current in a lightning strike be harnessed for energy?

While the flow of current in a lightning strike is incredibly powerful, it is too brief and unpredictable to harness for energy. Attempts to capture lightning for energy have been made, but have not been successful due to the difficulty in predicting when and where lightning will strike.