Work done by the gravitational force

In summary, the work done by the gravitational force is calculated by integrating a 1-form. The work is done in spherical coordinates if the coordinate origin is the Earth's center.
eoghan
Hi there!
I'd like to calculate the work done by the gravitational force. I know the work is defined by the integration of a 1-form:
[tex]L=\int_\gamma \omega[/tex]
where
[tex]\omega=F_xdx+F_ydy+F_zdz[/tex]

This works fine in cartesian coordinates and I know how to integrate it, but what if I want to use spherical coordinates?
Then I'd have:
[tex]\omega=F_rdr+F_{\theta}d{\theta}+F_{\phi}{d\phi}=F_rdr[/tex]
Suppose [tex]\gamma[/tex] is a curve defined in spherical coordinates (i.e. [tex]\vec\gamma=R(t)\hat r+\Theta(t)\hat\theta+\Phi(t)\hat\phi[/tex]),
how do I integrate the 1-form along [tex]\gamma[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
eoghan said:
[tex]\omega=F_rdr+F_{\theta}d{\theta}+F_{\phi}{d\phi}=F_rdr[/tex]

No, you need to use the line element in spherical coordinates:

[tex]d \vec l = dr \hat r + r d\theta \hat \theta + r \sin \theta d\phi \hat \phi[/tex]

so that

[tex]\omega = F_r dr + F_\theta r d\theta + F_\phi r \sin \theta d\phi[/tex]

Now, what are [itex]F_r[/itex], [itex]F_\theta[/itex], and [itex]F_\phi[/itex]?

Last edited:
jtbell said:
No, you need to use the line element in spherical coordinates:

[tex]d \vec l = dr \hat r + r d\theta \hat \theta + r \sin \theta d\phi \hat \phi[/tex]

so that

[tex]\omega = F_r dr + F_\theta r d\theta + F_\phi r \sin \theta d\phi[/tex]

Now, what are [itex]F_r[/itex], [itex]F_\theta[/itex], and [itex]F_\phi[/itex]?

Then the integral is like this?

[tex]\int_\gamma \omega = \int_{t_0}^{t_1} \vec F \cdot\frac{d\vec l}{dt}dt=\int_{t_0}^{t_1} \left( F_r\frac{dr}{dt}+F_\theta r \frac{d\theta}{dt}+F_\phi rsin\theta\frac{d\phi}{dt}\right)dt[/tex]

Wouldn't the work done when moving between two points in a gravitational field just be the difference between the potential energies at those two points? You'd really only need to worry about the up direction...or r in spherical polar coordinates...if the coordinate origin is the Earth's center.

Hello! Great question. To calculate the work done by the gravitational force in spherical coordinates, we can use the same formula for work (L = ∫ω) but with the appropriate components of the force (F_r, F_θ, and F_φ) and differentials (dr, dθ, and dφ). So the integral would look like this:
L = ∫F_rdr + ∫F_θdθ + ∫F_φdφ
To evaluate each of these integrals, we would need to use the appropriate limits of integration for each coordinate (r, θ, and φ) along the curve γ. This may require some manipulation and substitution to get the limits in terms of t, the parameter along the curve. Once we have the limits, we can integrate each component separately and add them together to get the total work done by the gravitational force. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

What is work done by the gravitational force?

The work done by the gravitational force is the amount of energy transferred when an object moves against the force of gravity. It is a measure of how much force is applied over a certain distance and is calculated by multiplying the force of gravity by the distance the object has moved.

How is the work done by the gravitational force related to potential energy?

The work done by the gravitational force is directly related to potential energy. As an object moves against the force of gravity, it gains potential energy. This potential energy is then converted into kinetic energy as the object falls back towards the Earth.

Does the work done by the gravitational force depend on the mass of the object?

No, the work done by the gravitational force does not depend on the mass of the object. It only depends on the force of gravity and the distance the object moves. This means that two objects of different masses will have the same work done by the gravitational force if they are dropped from the same height.

Can the work done by the gravitational force be negative?

Yes, the work done by the gravitational force can be negative. This occurs when the object is moving in the opposite direction to the force of gravity, such as when it is being lifted up. In this case, the potential energy of the object is decreasing and the work done by the gravitational force is negative.

How is the work done by the gravitational force related to the law of conservation of energy?

The work done by the gravitational force is an example of the law of conservation of energy. According to this law, energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. In the case of work done by the gravitational force, potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, demonstrating the conservation of energy.