Need help with solving this hard integral

In summary, the conversation is about solving the integration of \int_{-a}^{a}\sqrt{a^2-x^2}e^{i(kx-wt)}dx. The person initially tried a substitution with x=a*sin(u) and then v=a*sin(u), but without success. They were advised to use a Bessel function, which gave the same answer as solving numerically in Matlab.
m06antwe
I have big problems solving this integration:

[tex]
\int_{-a}^{a}\sqrt{a^2-x^2}e^{i(kx-wt)}dx
[/tex]

I did an substitution with:

[tex]
x=a*sin(u)
[/tex]

Which gave me:

[tex]
\int_{-{pi}/2}^{{pi}/2}a^2cos^2(u)e^{i(kasin(u)-wt)}du
[/tex]

But i don't know if that did it any better, cause i can't figure out how to go on from there. I've been told to try the substitution:

[tex]
v=a*sin(u)
[/tex]

But without any success... Please help me somebody!

Physics news on Phys.org
m06antwe said:
I have big problems solving this integration:

[tex]
\int_{-a}^{a}\sqrt{a^2-x^2}e^{i(kx-wt)}dx
[/tex]

Write it as

[tex]e^{-i\omega t}\int_{-a}^a \sqrt{a^2-x^2}\cos(kx) + i\sqrt{a^2-x^2}\sin(kx))\, dx[/tex]

The second term is an odd function of x which contributes nothing to the answer. The first term isn't going to give you an elementary answer. Maple gives

[tex]e^{-i\omega t}\frac{a\pi}{k}BesselJ(1,ka)[/tex]

where BesselJ is the Bessel function of the 1st kind of index 1 with argument ka.

Oh, I would not have figured out that myself! I've never seen the Bessel function before, but it seems to give me the same answer when I'm solving it numerically in Matlab so therefore I'm happy!

Thanks alot, that really helped me! :smile:

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is also used to find the total change in a quantity over a given interval.

2. Why is solving integrals considered difficult?

Solving integrals can be challenging because it requires a combination of algebraic manipulation, knowledge of integration techniques, and critical thinking skills. Additionally, there are many different types of integrals that require different approaches to solve.

3. How do I approach solving a difficult integral?

There are many different techniques for solving integrals, such as substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. It is important to carefully analyze the integral and determine which technique to use based on the form of the integrand.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve integrals?

While some calculators have integral functions, they are limited in their ability to solve more complex integrals. It is important to have a solid understanding of integration techniques and to use a calculator as a tool, rather than relying on it entirely.

5. Are there any tips for solving difficult integrals?

Practice and familiarity with different integration techniques is key to solving difficult integrals. It is also helpful to break down the integral into smaller, more manageable parts and to double check your work for any mistakes. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or teacher can be beneficial in understanding and solving difficult integrals.