Is Compsci & Programming Ready for Its Own Sub-forum?

• Thread starter atrus_ovis
  • Start date
In summary, the CompSci & programming forum does not have the traffic to warrant a full forum status and the organization of the forum works well as is.
atrus_ovis
Why isn't it a full sub-forum?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is. What exactly are you looking for.

But it is.

Probably because there aren't enough posts in CS and programming...

It's not a proper subforum, like physics, math, engineering or even part of the "other sciences" central branches , like chemistry,biology, etc. It's a sub-subforum part of the "computers in general" subforum, alongside with the "why is my graphics card emitting UV radiation" :P .

I'd recommend moving the CompSci & programming to the "other sciences" section.Just the stuff related with the coursework/homework, math for compsci, analysis etc, and leave the troubleshooting and technology stuff out of it.

Actually, physics, math and engineering are forums. Sections like General Math or General Physics are subforums. Using this terminology, Computer Science has a subforum, and Programming has a subsubforum.

Not to mention, when the last post there was over 3 days ago, there's not exactly demand for moving it up to a full forum.

Ah okay, i thought 'forum' was called the whole website.

At Programming & CompSci subforum, latest post was yesterday as i can see.

Plus, for example, the "Earth sciences" sub-.. whatever it's called, has 34 pages of threads,
Prog& CompSci has 66, and Earth Sciences is in the front page.

I don't think 66 pages is enough to make it a full subforum. Homework help has 3000 pages of threads, but that isn't a subforum too...

Consider the organisation as well.

All the computer stuff together just doesn't have enough traffic to demand higher status.

You should note that the majority of things get posted in Computing first and then moved to the relevant areas.

Home work help is in the front page (that's what i mean with the word 'proper subforum').
So is Earth sciences.

Anyway.

edit:
All the computer stuff together just doesn't have enough traffic to demand higher status.

You should note that the majority of things get posted in Computing first and then moved to the relevant areas.
I m just saying, as someone who often looks for help in compsci topics.

atrus_ovis said:
Home work help is in the front page (that's what i mean with the word 'proper subforum').
So is Earth sciences.

Anyway.

Homework help is a sub set of forums.

Computing is on the front page and compsci is a sub of it, in the same way that Homework is on the front page and Basic Physics is a sub of it.

EDIT: There's so little traffic there, I'm plugging it in my signature to try and drive it up.

The forum organization works well in its current state. There is no reason for a reorganization given the current level of traffic seen in the computing forums.

atrus_ovis said:
So is Earth sciences.

But there is a computing and technology up front?

I m just saying, as someone who often looks for help in compsci topics.

Yes, but an upgrade of the compsci forums will change nothing, it won't get you better help or something :tongue2:

Char. Limit - Proud member of the Physics Forums SAS.
jhae2.718 - Crackpot Delenda Est -- PF SAS "Aero Squadron" Commando
micromass - PF SAS: liberating the world from crackpots!

What's this SAS? All three of you have it in your sigs. Is there something I missed somewhere?

Mark44 said:

What's this SAS? All three of you have it in your sigs. Is there something I missed somewhere?

If we tell you, we'd have to ban you!

Don't forget JarednJames. He also has it :smile:

Mark44 said:

Just a privately run organization, unrelated to PF, that works together to deal with any crackpots we find.

micromass said:
Don't forget JarednJames. He also has it :smile:

As you can see, I'm keeping a low profile... :uhh:
Char. Limit said:
Just a privately run organization, unrelated to PF, that works together to deal with any crackpots we find.

"Project Fruitcake: Special Anti-science Service" :wink:

Last edited:
I prefer "Scientific Anticrackpot Service".

jhae2.718 said:
I prefer "Scientific Anticrackpot Service".

Hmm, I like anticrackpot, might have to compromise and keep "special".

Yeah, I just thought the "anti-science" went against the whole idea...Special Anticrackpot Service it is, then?

jhae2.718 said:
Yeah, I just thought the "anti-science" went against the whole idea...Special Anticrackpot Service it is, then?

Yeah, that occurred to me last night too.

"Project Fruitcake: Special Anticrackpot Service" - Job done!

We have weapons of math instruction, and we're not afraid to use them!

jhae2.718 said:
We have weapons of math instruction, and we're not afraid to use them!
:tongue2: Sounds like a valiant cause.

1. What is the difference between computer science and programming?

Computer science is the study of computers and computational systems, including both hardware and software. Programming, on the other hand, is the process of creating computer programs using specific programming languages.

2. What are the most popular programming languages?

The most popular programming languages vary depending on the source, but some of the most commonly used ones include Java, Python, C++, JavaScript, and C#.

3. What skills are necessary to become a successful programmer?

Some essential skills for a successful programmer include problem-solving, attention to detail, logical thinking, and the ability to learn and adapt to new technologies quickly.

4. What is algorithmic thinking?

Algorithmic thinking is a way of approaching problems by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable steps. It involves thinking logically and systematically to develop efficient solutions.

5. How can I improve my programming skills?

One way to improve programming skills is to practice regularly and work on various projects. Additionally, staying updated on the latest technologies and learning from experienced programmers can also help improve skills.