Are neutrons and protons particles?

In summary: Electromagnetism is a property of all particles, but not all particles are affected by it in the same way. For example, neutrinos are uncharged, while gauge bosons and W bosons have electromagnetic properties. In summary, neutrons and protons are made of quarks, but they are still considered particles. Electromagnetism is a property of all particles, but its effects vary among different particles.
Jarfi
If neutrons are made of other charged particles, neutrons are not particles. And I can't figure out any other particles without charge.. Is Electromagnetism a property of all particles?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jarfi said:
If neutrons are made of other charged particles, neutrons are not particles. And I can't figure out any other particles without charge.. Is Electromagnetism a property of all particles?

Neutrinos are elementary particles that have no charge. Dark matter has no charge, so most matter has no charge.

PatrickPowers said:
Neutrinos are elementary particles that have no charge. Dark matter has no charge, so most matter has no charge.

Thanks.

Jarfi said:
If neutrons are made of other charged particles, neutrons are not particles.

This is not true.

While neutrons can be formed by the merging of an electron and a proton, they does not mean they are made of other particles. Subatomic particles are made of quarks. The type of quarks they have determines their charge. And they can change from one type to another.

DaveC426913 said:
This is not true.

While neutrons can be formed by the merging of an electron and a proton, they does not mean they are made of other particles. Subatomic particles are made of quarks. The type of quarks they have determines their charge. And they can change from one type to another.

Wait what? neutrons are particles? but I have always seen them described as three quarks orbiting each others? and protons to, so I tought they were just groups of quarks? and I assumed it to be like the atom, where the atom is not a particle because it is a group of particles. Aren't all particles that aren't point particles made of other particles?

this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Quark_structure_neutron.svg

Jarfi said:
Wait what? neutrons are particles? but I have always seen them described as three quarks orbiting each others? and protons to, so I tought they were just groups of quarks? and I assumed it to be like the atom, where the atom is not a particle because it is a group of particles. Aren't all particles that aren't point particles made of other particles?

this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Quark_structure_neutron.svg

Neutrons are particles, but they are not elementary particles, as they are made from other particles. Quarks are elementary particles since they have no known substructure.

1. Do all particles have charge?

Not all particles have charge. Particles can be classified into two categories: charged particles and neutral particles. Charged particles, such as protons and electrons, have a net electrical charge, while neutral particles, such as neutrons, have no net charge.

2. What determines the charge of a particle?

The charge of a particle is determined by its fundamental properties, such as its mass and electric field. For example, protons have a positive charge because they have a larger mass and a stronger electric field compared to electrons, which have a negative charge.

3. Can particles have both positive and negative charges?

Yes, particles can have both positive and negative charges. For example, atoms can have both positively charged protons and negatively charged electrons. However, the total charge of an atom is always neutral because the number of protons and electrons cancel each other out.

4. Can particles have fractions or decimals of charge?

No, particles cannot have fractions or decimals of charge. Charge is a fundamental unit of measure and cannot be split into smaller parts. Therefore, particles can only have a whole number of charges, such as +1 or -2.

5. Can particles have different types of charges?

Yes, particles can have different types of charges. There are two types of charges: positive and negative. Particles can have either one of these charges, or they can be neutral. However, particles cannot have more than one type of charge at the same time.