8051 Compiler-Mikro C or Keil ?

• Thread starter Ali Inam
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a student's confusion about which compiler software to use for their 8051 programming course. The options are Keil and Mikro C, both of which are unfamiliar to the student. They ask for recommendations and it is suggested to use an IDE tool like Netbeans or Eclipse instead. The conversation also mentions that Keil includes a simulator, but it may not be necessary depending on the school's project setup. The difficulty level of learning either toolkit is considered to be similar. Finally, it is unclear if the student needs to purchase the software or if it is provided by the school.
Ali Inam
Hello everyone,

I have just begun my Micro controller course and I am in a sort of confusion. In my institute, they are offering the compiler software Keil and at another place from where I take short courses, they are offering the Mikro C software for the compiling purposes of my 8051 programming. I am unaware from both of them and I have to learn anyone of them.

Can any of you guys please recommend which software might be the EASIER one ? I just had a look at both of them and I guess that Mikro C can be a little easier of the two.

Thanks !

Technology news on Phys.org
are they both cmd line driven tools? or do they provide some sort of developer environment for managing projects and source files (ala NetBeans or Eclipse or VisualC++)?

For cmd line driven tools, one compiler is as good as another. For IDE tools, I'd go with Netbeans or Eclipse as vendor specific tools may not have as many features unless they've rebranded the Eclipse tool (rebranded means they acknowledge using Eclipse as the base but add more plugins specific to what their product does) and add their logo.

I took a quick look at both. Keil specifically mentions it includes a simulator. I don't know if Mikro C has a simulator. Assuming your school has some type of project board, having a simulator may not matter. Your school may have some projects already setup, which would reduce the learning curve. Learning to use both toolkits shouldn't be more difficult than learning either one of them. Are you having to buy these toolkits or are they part of the class?

1. What is the difference between Mikro C and Keil compilers for 8051 microcontrollers?

Mikro C and Keil are both compilers used for writing and compiling code for 8051 microcontrollers. The main difference between them is that Mikro C is a high-level language compiler, while Keil is a low-level language compiler. This means that Mikro C allows for easier and more intuitive coding, while Keil allows for more in-depth and precise control over the microcontroller's functions.

2. Which compiler is better for beginners, Mikro C or Keil?

For beginners, Mikro C is usually the preferred compiler as it has a user-friendly and intuitive interface. It also has a simpler syntax, making it easier to learn and use. However, once a programmer gains more experience and wants to have more control over the microcontroller's functions, they may choose to switch to Keil.

3. Can I use both Mikro C and Keil for the same project?

Yes, it is possible to use both compilers for the same project. However, it is not recommended as it can lead to compatibility issues and make the code more complicated. It is best to choose one compiler and stick with it for a project.

4. Do I need to purchase a license for Mikro C or Keil?

Both Mikro C and Keil offer free trial versions, but a license must be purchased to use the compilers for commercial projects. However, they may offer free or discounted licenses for educational or non-profit use.

5. Can I use Mikro C or Keil for other microcontrollers besides 8051?

Yes, both Mikro C and Keil offer support for a variety of microcontrollers, including 8051, ARM, AVR, and PIC. However, the syntax and functions may vary for different microcontrollers, so it is important to check the documentation for each compiler before use.